• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation options on the Camino Portuguese: To book or not to book?

PJTP

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2024
To book or not to book.
Hello! have been advised that you guys are the folks to ask so here goes… I plan my first Camino in mid May( Portuguese) and will likely start Litoro initially then onto Central and Spiritual if time.

I am traveling alone and really would prefer not to prebook accommodation(except first and last night in Porto) as I hope to walk as much as feels good, stop where the spirit moves me to explore .

For any that are familiar with that route, do I need to stick to a set plan of stages and book beds ahead or can I be more flexible and chance getting a bed on arrival where I feel I want to stop?

with thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
To book or not to book.
Hello! have been advised that you guys are the folks to ask so here goes… I plan my first Camino in mid May( Portuguese) and will likely start Litoro initially then onto Central and Spiritual if time.

I am traveling alone and really would prefer not to prebook accommodation(except first and last night in Porto) as I hope to walk as much as feels good, stop where the spirit moves me to explore .

For any that are familiar with that route, do I need to stick to a set plan of stages and book beds ahead or can I be more flexible and chance getting a bed on arrival where I feel I want to stop?

with thanks.
I’m sure others can give better advice than I can.. but I’m also walking solo that same route starting the beginning of April. You didn’t say if you’re planning on hotels or Albergues. I wanted to preplan my route, so I’d know how far I have to go each day. I booked all of my hotels last month, and I was already running into some places that were booked up. Regardless, I’m sure you’ll have an amazing time. Bom Camino!

To book or not to book.

with thanks.
Congrats on getting ready for your first Camino!

May tends to be a busy month, so you might need to book ahead, even if it’s just a day or 2. This is true in the first days out of Porto as well since there aren’t a lot of albergues in the towns (although there are hotels and pensions).

I would suggest taking a look at the Portuguese routes on gronze.com and paging through the suggested stages to get an overview of the accommodation situation. Sometimes there are many options, sometimes not. It all depends on your budget as well and if you want to stay in albergues or if you can/want to stay in hotels and pensions. I did a quick search, and a lot of the places that you can book on booking.com have space in May, so I’m surprised to read that someone had troubles getting places to stay already.

You never know what kind of bubble you might end up in. We’ve been on Caminos where it seems like there is plenty of beds, meanwhile friends a few days behind us say places are full. If it is busy, staying “off stage” in the towns between the main stopping points is often helpful. That’s often how we roll when it’s busy, and it works well.

Lastly, something to consider if you don’t want to book ahead if it’s busy is how much you’re willing to be part of the bed race (getting up early to get beds in the places that you can’t book at) or how far you’re ok with walking should you run into places that are full.

Whatever happens, you’re going to have a blast! Buen camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

May tends to be a busy month, so you might need to book ahead, even if it’s just a day or 2. This is true in the first days out of Porto as well since there aren’t a lot of albergues in the towns (although there are hotels and pensions).

I would suggest taking a look at the Portuguese routes on gronze.com and paging through the suggested stages to get an overview of the accommodation situation. Sometimes there are many options, sometimes not. It all depends on your budget as well and if you want to stay in albergues or if you can/want to stay in hotels and pensions. I did a quick search, and a lot of the places that you can book on booking.com have space in May, so I’m surprised to read that someone had troubles getting places to stay already.

You never know what kind of bubble you might end up in. We’ve been on Caminos where it seems like there is plenty of beds, meanwhile friends a few days behind us say places are full. If it is busy, staying “off stage” in the towns between the main stopping points is often helpful. That’s often how we roll when it’s busy, and it works well.

Lastly, something to consider if you don’t want to book ahead if it’s busy is how much you’re willing to be part of the bed race (getting up early to get beds in the places that you can’t book at) or how far you’re ok with walking should you run into places that are full.

Thanks for responding Laura. Stupid question , but is there an english gronze site?

All the routes of the Portuguese meet at Redondola, and from there I would book ahead. Also a lot of people start at Tui, or Redondola to get at least 100 kms and obtain a compesela, which makes it busier. Prior to that I don't think it would be necessary to book.
Enjoy 😉

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Others have spoken about the weather and the general crowds, but I'd like to add a different view point. Throwing aside the what's a true pilgrim discussion as irrelevant, I'd recommend that you first consider your style of walking and going through the day. I'm the type of person who likes to know where I am staying for the night so that I can (seflishly perhaps) go at whatever pace I want to, stopping along the way when I see something that peaks my interest, and getting to the endpoint at some time that day. For that freedom (or illusion of freedom), I do give up some nightly location sponteneity but everybody tends to end up in the same towns anyway. Your general attitude and way of approaching a walk will somewhat dictate whether you are a book ahead or play it by ear kind of person. The answer is to match it up with what YOU are comfortable with. BTW, I'm a slow stroller who (at 75) finds a hard stop at about 20K a day.

Thanks!
Others have spoken about the weather and the general crowds, but I'd like to add a different view point. Throwing aside the what's a true pilgrim discussion as irrelevant, I'd recommend that you first consider your style of walking and going through the day. I'm the type of person who likes to know where I am staying for the night so that I can (seflishly perhaps) go at whatever pace I want to, stopping along the way when I see something that peaks my interest, and getting to the endpoint at some time that day. For that freedom (or illusion of freedom), I do give up some nightly location sponteneity but everybody tends to end up in the same towns anyway. Your general attitude and way of approaching a walk will somewhat dictate whether you are a book ahead or play it by ear kind of person. The answer is to match it up with what YOU are comfortable with. BTW, I'm a slow stroller who (at 75) finds a hard stop at about 20K a day.

Thank you for your considered response John. Food for thought

Last edited by a moderator:

Admittedly, I’m extremely picky. I did tons of research, and knew exactly where I wanted to stay at each of my stops. In several cases, I had to find an alternative because my first choice was booked. There was always somewhere open in each location if you don’t care where you stay.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Admittedly, I’m extremely picky. I did tons of research, and knew exactly where I wanted to stay at each of my stops. In several cases, I had to find an alternative because my first choice was booked. There was always somewhere open in each location if you don’t care where you stay.
That's fair!

I'm with you there! We like to take our time and often do long days. The last thing I want to do after walking a marathon is to keep going :)

Prebook or not ? I will start the Portuguese Central the 30th. of April and I have only booked from 29th. in Porto. I like the flexibility to stop after 25 km or 35km depending on the atmosphere, surroundings. That is of course very individual, but the feeling of freedom and impulsivity is to me a major part of the "new gained" experience being prebooked and organised an entire life.
I hope this will be possible in April. Walking SJPDP - Finisterre during September last year, I started prebooking one day ahead after passing Sarria due to far more people walking and the fact that we turned out to be a small group walking together. I will do the French again staring the 26th,27th. of August this year and I hope I can keep the flexibility also in 2024.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you’re walking the Portuguese in late April / early May, you should be cognizant of the Festival of Fatima which occurs on 11 May. ALL accommodations approaching Fatima will have pre-booked large church groups that pilgrimage to Fatima and that will reduce the available beds. It’s important to remember that Fatima is a Portuguese event / location, whereas the Camino is Spanish. The Albergues, hostels, etc. will prioritize their Portuguese clientele over peregrinos on the Camino, so one would be wise to make advance bookings in order to ensure a bed.

would prefer not to prebook accommodation(except first and last night in Porto)

If you haven't booked Porto yet, could I suggest the The House of Sandeman Hostel at least at the start. It's more like a 'super-hostel' with a great location on the Porto waterfront. Staff are very helpful, buffet breakfast and a communal meal in the evening (€10 if there are numbers). Quite busy last week when I stayed and gets you off in the communal frame of mind. (Centre of the pic)

Attachments

• Sandeman.jpg
    Sandeman.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
If you’re walking the Portuguese in late April / early May, you should be cognizant of the Festival of Fatima which occurs on 11 May. ALL accommodations approaching Fatima will have pre-booked large church groups that pilgrimage to Fatima and that will reduce the available beds. It’s important to remember that Fatima is a Portuguese event / location, whereas the Camino is Spanish. The Albergues, hostels, etc. will prioritize their Portuguese clientele over peregrinos on the Camino, so one would be wise to make advance bookings in order to ensure a bed.
Hi. Just a question. Do you think Fatima festival will have an impact on accomodation when you are walking from Porto ?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi. Just a question. Do you think Fatima festival will have an impact on accomodation when you are walking from Porto ?
I have booked Porto accommodation and depart May 15 so I do not believe so.

The municipal albergues do not take reservations so they are perfect for people like you who do not want to commit. The downside is you could arrive to find it full. I would suggest starting out this way and if it gets to be a problem you can start booking ahead. Some people are booking now but it really isn’t necessary. Many places aren’t even taking reservations yet.

I booked all of my hotels last month, and I was already running into some places that were booked up.
Just a heads up that bears repeating in case there are people new to the forum. Yes, I know many people already know this. If you are finding places that are booked up on booking.com or other third party sites, that does not mean that the place is full. It just means that all the rooms they released to booking are full. It pays to contact the places directly. The owner, especially if it is a small family run place, will also appreciate the direct contact and theh elimination of booking’s pretty hefty fee.

For contacting accommodations in Spain and Portugal while you are outside Iberia, try WhatsApp. Nearly all places use it, and it is nice because you then have a written record on your phone of what was agreed on in case of confusion.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just a heads up that bears repeating in case there are people new to the forum. Yes, I know many people already know this. If you are finding places that are booked up on booking.com or other third party sites, that does not mean that the place is full. It just means that all the rooms they released to booking are full. It pays to contact the places directly. The owner, especially if it is a small family run place, will also appreciate the direct contact and theh elimination of booking’s pretty hefty fee.

For contacting accommodations in Spain and Portugal while you are outside Iberia, try WhatsApp. Nearly all places use it, and it is nice because you then have a written record on your phone of what was agreed on in case of confusion.
I do realize that, and I spoke to the 2 hotels personally and they were indeed booked for my requested dates. Third party sites are never accurate with regard to what’s actually available. I’m all set now. I did a ton of research, and have redone my path and stops several times. I travel a great deal and have WhatsApp already, so should be all set there. I have email confirmations for everything, and Pilbeo has confirmed they can take my pack to each. I’m happy with my distances and stops each day. We’ll see how it goes lol.

I walked Lisboa to Santiago (via Portuguese Central) last year (2023) in May and did not book, and always easily found a bed (albergues, hostels, and the odd residencial or simple hotel). Only exceptions: I rang up and reserved a room in Lisboa, Coimbra, Porto and Santiago a day before arrival. Personally, the freedom of taking it day by day and not having to worry about accommodation is one of the beauties of walking the Camino.

I’d book ahead until you get the feel on the crowds , especially when following the water

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
To book or not to book.

with thanks.
I prebooked my CF 2022 Camino all the way through and stayed on plan the whole way. I'm glad I did and didn't have the stress of having to find a place everyday. I am an experienced long distance hiker and know my limitations. I planned my stages to average 12 miles per day, which I know from experience I can maintain. Some days were longer and some shorter, but the average was 12 miles.

I'm now planning a Portuguese Camino for mid May like you. I'm starting in Porto and doing the costal route for 5 day and then the central route into Santiago. I just finished booking all my stays yesterday. I'm traveling with my wife and want private rooms with private bath. I got all my reservations locked in but only booked places that are fully refundable. I keep track of it all with an Excel spreadsheet with a 'cancel by' column.

I was surprised that at some locations, there were limited choices.

I do realize that, and I spoke to the 2 hotels personally and they were indeed booked for my requested dates. Third party sites are never accurate with regard to what’s actually available. I’m all set now. I did a ton of research, and have redone my path and stops several times. I travel a great deal and have WhatsApp already, so should be all set there. I have email confirmations for everything, and Pilbeo has confirmed they can take my pack to each. I’m happy with my distances and stops each day. We’ll see how it goes lol.

I’m sure others can give better advice than I can.. but I’m also walking solo that same route starting the beginning of April. You didn’t say if you’re planning on hotels or Albergues. I wanted to preplan my route, so I’d know how far I have to go each day. I booked all of my hotels last month, and I was already running into some places that were booked up. Regardless, I’m sure you’ll have an amazing time. Bom Camino!
Do you mind sharing the hotels you booked? Thank you

Well said.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I prebooked my CF 2022 Camino all the way through and stayed on plan the whole way. I'm glad I did and didn't have the stress of having to find a place everyday. I am an experienced long distance hiker and know my limitations. I planned my stages to average 12 miles per day, which I know from experience I can maintain. Some days were longer and some shorter, but the average was 12 miles.

I'm now planning a Portuguese Camino for mid May like you. I'm starting in Porto and doing the costal route for 5 day and then the central route into Santiago. I just finished booking all my stays yesterday. I'm traveling with my wife and want private rooms with private bath. I got all my reservations locked in but only booked places that are fully refundable. I keep track of it all with an Excel spreadsheet with a 'cancel by' column.

I was surprised that at some locations, there were limited choices.
I do much the same. It clears the mind while walking from thinking about where you might sleep that night. I also keep track of the cancel by dates, just in case something should happen along the way!

Do you mind sharing the hotels you booked? Thank you
Sure! I fly into Porto early in the morning, and plan to drop my luggage at my hotel in Matosinhos then take transportation to the cathedral. I’ll get my credential stamped. After I explore a bit, I plan to walk from the Cathedral following the river to Matosinhos. I’m going to cut back over to the central route after Vila do Conde.

Matosinhos - Harbour Inn Design House
Vila do Conde - Casa do Rios Charm Suites
Arcos - Villa d’Arcos
Barcelos - Casas de Ana Boutique Guesthouse
Balugaes - Casas de Quinta de Cancela
Ponte de Lima - Casa de Travessa
Cossourdo - Casa de Capela
Tui - Parador de Tui
Porriño - Casa en Piedra (Stone House)
Redondela - El Piso de la Placita
Pontevedra - Parador de Pontevedra
Caldas de Reis - Hotel Roquino
Padron - Apartmento Anova
O Milladoiro - Hotel Payro
Santiago de Compostela - Parador de Santiago
de Compostela

Bom Camino! ❤️

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sure! I fly into Porto early in the morning, and plan to drop my luggage at my hotel in Matosinhos then take transportation to the cathedral. I’ll get my credential stamped. After I explore a bit, I plan to walk from the Cathedral following the river to Matosinhos. I’m going to cut back over to the central route after Vila do Conde.

Arcos - Villa d’Arcos
Tui - Parador de Tui
de Compostela

Bom Camino! ❤️
Thank you very much for your information! Bom Camino!!!

Arcos - Villa d’Arcos
Tui - Parador de Tui
de Compostela

Bom Camino! ❤️
Thank you for sharing!

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back