• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

One Day at a time, One Photo at a Time (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
How on earth did I miss that !?!
Seriously?
I can't imagine missing that. But then...
This was such an interesting fountain.
How on earth did I miss that !?!
:eek:
I've been through Rabe a handful of times and stayed there twice...and have absolutely no recollection of this wuite remarkable fountain. None.
🤣

I think almond trees are a lot more delicate and lithe, if that’s an adjective you can apply to trees.
After being on the after being on the Invierno during the cherry season, and seeing them everywhere, I have been assuming these are cherries. (Gracile, graceful, lithe...sure, why not?)

Today it's the Church of Santiago, in A Coruña, close to the harbor, and the start of that branch of the Ingles. It's easy to imagine pilgrims disembarking near here on their way to Santiago.
View media item 8092

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
2018-08-27 13.30.22.jpg
The magical hammocks of Casa Magica in Villatuerta, where I learnt the lesson that it was "OK" to stop somewhere other than where John Brierley had suggested.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'll go with a church picture today too and to celebrate the coming of more light (at least at home) I give you León Cathedral.
Q07400-VER-01.jpeg

Edit: For the Gothic architecture thread I needed to find a picture to link to. This page has a much better picture than mine.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
By now most of you know that I often post not so many classic landscape pictures. I love to observe daily life. I call it the good , the bad and the ugly...😃

Here Villafranca Montes de Oca. A town that I did not like that much. Just a general feeling , like I had with Ponferrada.

FB_IMG_1606257107069.jpg

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sorry for the double dip
Double dip as often as you like, @jozero . I'm loving your images.

Now I'm facing a decision.
Tractor theme, Estella theme, or cow thene? (I can't post anything in the strange albergue cuisine theme because while I've had my share of meals like that (inclding that one...), I don't have any pictures like that.)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@VNwalking, you may be opening up a can of worms by allowing some double dipping.😉
Maybe post one in each of the themes.
What the heck.
Maybe I'll rename the thread.;)

OK. No tractors. At least not yet.😇🙃
Here's Estella on a dull gray day.

Attachments

• IMG_7364 (2).JPG
    IMG_7364 (2).JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 23
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Day 2 of some tractor shots of mine. I did say I had a few. I count this as a tractor.

This young woman approached us coming down a side road. I held my camera up and pointed to it. A nod and a smile give me permission to take her picture.

T03400-HOR.jpg

I'm sending this picture at 5:00 am EST, the time that it turns Christmas Day at Christmas Island, Kiribati. Slowly it will be Christmas elsewhere to the west. So Merry Christmas to you all as it becomes your turn.

Enchanting small roadside chapel on the Portugues.
@Anne&Pat ...you already posted it a while ago. Can you remember the town?View attachment 89810
Had a look through our photos and could only find this one, can't remember where it is, other than somewhere between Sao Pedro de Rates and Barcelos. Will try and have a better look tomorrow.
P5164041.JPG

Pat & I would like to wish you all a Very Happy Christmas Day. It is just after 4pm here in Victoria, Australia. We are very fortunate as all our family have been able to get together today, we haven't seen many of them since February.
Caminho Portugues- May, 2016 Mosterio San Salvador de Grijo. A very peaceful place.
P5113837.JPG

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Happy Christmas everyone!
Thank you for bringing light into this corner of the world, in a dark year.

OK, tractors it is!
Here are 2 resting ones...
Viduedo-Saria (107).JPG
with a building probably made to accommodate this instead (sorry 2 pics, but it's Christmas and that means we can go wild here!😇):
IMG-501047035f681d3ced6415a4b8eca040-V.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a look through our photos and could only find this one, can't remember where it is, other than somewhere between Sao Pedro de Rates and Barcelos. Will try and have a better look tomorrow.
View attachment 89833

Cheers! I have that one too and seems I have the two mixed together! Now I know at least where this one is...:)

Merry Christmas to all of you!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Tractor day 3. Pilgrims walking up to what turned out to be a special tractor for me.
View attachment 89839

4:00 am Christmas Day now here. It has been a warm, windy and rainy night with about another 12 hours of the same expected. The snow has been disappearing fast.
Gosh, that photo, without enlarging, looks like an eighteenth century rural painting... so long as you discount the tech gear!

€149,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Caminho Portugues- May, 2016 Araujo, this very old Oak Tree is in the centre of the square, the only thing that survived a hurricane which tore through the town 200 yrs ago. Wood from the tree is used in the pulpit in the Church beside the tree, 18th C Igreja de Sao Pedro de Araujo. A small statue of St Peter is embedded in the oak.
IMG_2899.JPG

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
2018-08-28 12.08.42.jpg
On the subject of "favourite albergues", one of the handful that immediately springs to mind is Hogar, the Dutch ecumenical house that offers pilgrims a wonderful place of rest in Villamayor de Monjardín.

When I walk again, there will be places that must be visited again, and Hogar will be amongst them.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
View attachment 89987
On the subject of "favourite albergues", one of the handful that immediately springs to mind is Hogar, the Dutch ecumenical house that offers pilgrims a wonderful place of rest in Villamayor de Monjardín.

When I walk again, there will be places that must be visited again, and Hogar will be amongst them.

Isn't it interesting to see how an experience in an albergue can be so different for people. So subjective. In 2011 I with some others received the most frosty welcome by the hospitaleros who were present in that particular timeslot.
Luckily we experienced the most wonderful Caritas at the Parroquial albergue in Tosantos later on our Camino.

Isn't it interesting to see how an experience in an albergue can be so different for people. So subjective. In 2011 I with some others received the most frosty welcome by the hospitaleros who were present in that particular timeslot.
Luckily we experienced the most wonderful Caritas at the Parroquial albergue in Tosantos later on our Camino.
That's so true.

I had only one or two disappointing welcomes - Frómista looms large in my memory.

But I bet there will be defenders of it too, and it all depends on the welcome you receive.

Tractor day 5. Another view of my special tractor from days 3 and 4. Here it is obvious that the specialness is that the tractor is a Lamborghini. I was brought up in a city, what would I know about tractors? And as an American I certainly wouldn't know anything about Italian ones.
Q32100-HOR.jpg
I had to find out why Lamborghini would decide to build tractors too. Well, actually it was the other way around. Now for that story I mentioned a few days ago. Here is a quick synopsis of why Lamborghini started building sports cars, largely from a Car and Driver article.

Ferruccio Lamborghini (FL) was brought up on a farm but liked mechanical work. After WWII he started manufacturing tractors with war surplus. He made enough money to buy a couple of Enzo Ferrari's (EF's) sport cars. They needed a lot of expensive work on the clutch, a 1,000 lira part later found to be identical to the one that FL used on his tractors and cost him 10 lira. FL knew EF and mentioned this to him. EF said something like "What do you know about sports cars? You're a farmer, a tractor driver." Thus revenge brought us Lamborghini sports cars.

Now a video clip from a 1987 "60 Minutes" news show. Watch and imagine having a driver's license that allowed you to drive 300 kph on public roads.

that short, vicious downhill after the long, tortuous uphill immediately after Castrojeriz.
When there (in clear weather) another pilgrim told me that she would like to put in a zipline and sell tickets. I mentioned that would fit in with a pilgrimage because on they way down pilgrims would see God.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
What the fog conceals, the sign reveals... that short, vicious downhill after the long, tortuous uphill immediately after Castrojeriz. Tell me again why we miss this so much?
The thing I did love about that long ascent and descent on the Alto Mostelares is that I could clearly see what I was in for 😀 And the panoramic views were breathtaking...literally. One of my favourite camino days.

alto mostalares.jpg

View attachment 89987

I stayed here, too, and loved it in 2015. I tried again in 2017, but arrived too late, only one bed left and I was with three family members. The whole village was completo, but the helpful Dutch hospis directed us to a new albergue in Luquin...a totally different experience, but lovely in its own way.

What the fog conceals, the sign reveals... that short, vicious downhill after the long, tortuous uphill immediately after Castrojeriz. Tell me again why we miss this so much?
That picture brought back a different memory. At the albergue in Castrojeritz I was strongly advised NOT to try taking my loaded bike over that track. I detoured by road around the north end of the ridge, joining the camino again near Itero. I always felt a bit guilty having taken the easy route. But seemingly I made the right decision.

The thing I did love about that long ascent and descent on the Alto Mostelares is that I could clearly see what I was in for 😀 And the panoramic views were breathtaking...literally. One of my favourite camino days.

View attachment 89995
That hill out of Castrojeriz was in the top three of the harshest ascents on the whole route for me!

We were blessed with clear skies and the view from the top became the cover for my Camino book.

It was the iconic image of the Meseta that I had hoped to see.

Attachments

• 2018-09-05 10.54.01.jpg
    2018-09-05 10.54.01.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 13th century hermitage of San Miguel near Población de Campos. Beautiful surroundings for a snack and rest stop.

View attachment 90117
Thank you @Theatregal. I've actually been thinking of this place a few times this month. None of my photos of it survive and I couldn't remember where it was. We enjoyed a lunch there at the picnic table.

For my picture today I bring you back to Carrion de Condes on Corpus Christi when they decorated the streets.
J03500-HOR.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you @Theatregal. I've actually been thinking of this place a few times this month. None of my photos of it survive and I couldn't remember where it was. We enjoyed a lunch there at the picnic table.
I would have loved to see the interior. My friend held up the cover of the beautiful lock and I managed a photo through the keyhole :)

lock.jpg keyhole photo.jpg

€149,-
Funny, if it were my first time to climb up what my wife and I refer to as ‘Butt Kicker Hill’ just past Castrojeriz, I wouldn’t have understood the great humour in this sign. As it was, I did know what the veil of fog hid behind the folds of her skirt so indeed, I did consider this question!
1609372341291.jpeg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Dried apricots and almonds.
Manna from heaven.

So, happy New Year, everyone, and heartfelt thanks for sharing all your wonderful images here each day. Tomorrow for the new year I will be starting a new thread, One Day at a Time 4.0 - and will ask the moderators to close this one.

The Invierno is not a totally solitary walk. Here's proof. (For a couple of days, I kept passing and being passed by a really nice pair of guys from Barcelona.)
View media item 9658

Dried apricots and almonds.
Manna from heaven.

So, happy New Year, everyone, and heartfelt thanks for sharing all your wonderful images here each day. Tomorrow for the new year I will be starting a new thread, One Day at a Time 4.0 - and will ask the moderators to close this one.

The Invierno is not a totally solitary walk. Here's proof. (For a couple of days, I kept passing and being passed by a really nice pair of guys from Barcelona.)
View media item 9658
Thank you, @VNwalking, for providing us with a daily excuse to wallow in our own Camino memories.

HNY to all here too.

€149,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back