• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 10.0

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
October 26, 2023 Portomarin, Camino Frances
On this day another big storm, and we walked from Barbadelo in the pouring rain. But as soon as we arrived in Portomarin, the sun came out and dried all our soaked clothing. We had a little balcony at Albergue Ultreia, and there was newspaper for our shoes, so the discomfort of the day was soon forgotten.

B42485A0-FA45-4AD6-9AD2-6BDBCBA930ED.jpeg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Camino Frances
Rabanal del Camino
Nuestra Señora de la Asunción

photo taken November 17, 2011

Rabanal del Camino 2011.jpg

Surprised when entering the sanctuary to hear the voice of the Abbot of the adjacent monastery who asked "Do you speak English?" , I nodded yes. He then handed me a selection on St Elisabeth and love to read aloud during the evening service.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Camino Frances
Rabanal del Camino
albergue Nuestra Señora del Pilar

November 23, 2014

Rabanal del Camino 23.11.2014.jpg

A notice on the door read cerrado excepcionalmente! However, the hospitalera's mother recalled my earlier visits and offered sleeping space within her house where a portable heater, plus flannel sheets provided cozy comfort. ...Her special kindness is another example of camino serendipity and caritas.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Camino Frances
Foncebadon
Monte Irago albergue

photo taken March 4, 2009

Foncebadon 04.03.2009.jpg

I took this photo through an icy albergue window as proof of a blizzard which obliterated the nearby landscape in deep snow.
My diary/blog describes this 3 day storm spent snowbound sharing albergue warmth and camaraderie.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sept '18 A very peaceful rest in the now for sale Albergue in Hospital de Orbigo with Arturo and Pia ?

meant to stop in here again on subsequent trips but I find myself further on or further back in my so called plans.

Attachments

• IMG_5116.JPG
    IMG_5116.JPG
    439.7 KB · Views: 20
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Camino Frances
El Acebo

March 12, 2007

El Acebo 2007.JPG

In this picturesque mountain town little had been 'gussied up'. Slate from the mountains covers roofs and upper floor porch galleries which provide exterior storage or drying space above winter snow open onto the single street, the Camino.

Camino Frances. September 24, 2023.
Arriving in Carrión de los Condes, as I passed the 16th century Ermita de la Piedad, I noticed a sign on the door - 'Classical Guitar Concert 6:30pm with students from the Camino de las Artes International Workshop for Classical Guitar'. I went! There were six students, studying from China. They were phenomenal - it was a lovely evening and experience in a beautiful little church, now a temple to music.

E1127D56-9A38-418B-BD36-957AE33E8071.JPG

€60,-
November 1, 2023 Dinner at San Martin Pinario
I had hoped to go for tapas in Santiago, but the weather was so stormy both evenings we stayed there that we would have been absolutely soaked by heavy downpours if we had left the shelter of the hospederia. I was thankful for a table beside the heater in the dining room.

3C7C6789-122D-4293-AF60-F2E84E9455F7.jpeg

Camino Frances, September 25, 2023
Watching pilgrims arrive - the view from the window of the Albergue Camino Real in Calzadilla de la Cueza. The Civil Guardia were greeting people as they arrived and offering a stamp. I met the same two officers earlier in the morning as they checked on people and offered water along the path.

IMG_1757.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Camino Frances
towards Molinaseca

photo taken November 26, 2013

towards Molinaseca, 2013.jpg

Every sunlit morning there was one constant matinal companion, my shadow. Whenever this uncomplaining presence was glimpsed I immediately become more aware of each precious fleeting moment of the day.

Camino Frances
Ponferrada
Calle Obispo Camilo Lorenzo
Capilla de Nuestra Señora del Carmen

photo taken March 23, 2007

Capilla de Nuestra Señora del Carmen.jpg

The Capilla is adjacent to the San Nicolas de Flüe albergue. Seeing this new 1999 painting within the dome was a splendid surprise.
These archives discuss the history of the site and the complex iconography of the vibrant painting.

south of Ponferrada
near Montes de la Valdueza

photo taken November 25, 2014

Montes de Valdueza.jpg

Another pilgrim and I shared a taxi from Campo via Salas de los Barrios to Montes de la Valdueza to see a bit of countryside south of Ponferrada before twilight.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
south of Ponferrada
Peñabla de Santiago
monastery door

photo taken November 25, 2014

door Penalba de Santiago 2014.jpg

Night was falling as I quickly saw/shot the doorway of this remote 10th c. church, Santiago de Peñalba. Originally part of a monastery it is a Mozarabic gem and a protected Spanish landmark. Unfortunately the interior was closed.

€149,-
Camino Invierno
Las Médulas

photos taken November 26, 2014

Las Médulas, a magnificent gold mine dating from Roman times, is marked by distinctive red-orange cones, channels, and caves.

Las Médulas, cone detail.jpg

From a viewing platform looking directly onto one huge cone of this UNESCO World Heritage site at the center of what appearrs to be a dark "eye" is another viewing platform reached by a curved underground tunnel.

interior Las Médulas.jpg

Although, then trepidacious, in retrospect I am glad I followed the path and took this shot. ...These photos are mementos of that amazing, almost surreal, landscape!

Last edited:
Camino Invierno
Las Médulas

photos taken November 26, 2014

Las Médulas, a magnificent gold mine dating from Roman times, is marked by distinctive red-orange cones, channels, and caves.

View attachment 161210

From a viewing platform looking directly onto one huge cone of this UNESCO World Heritage site at the center of what appearrs to be a dark "eye" is another viewing platform reached by a curved underground tunnel.

View attachment 161212

Although, then trepidacious, in retrospect I am glad I followed the path and took this shot. ...These photos are mementos of that amazing, almost surreal, landscape!
Wow! I thought it was always the CF!
Buen camino, @mspath, Joyeux Noël!

€60,-
Camino Portugues
Valença do Minho
Largo de Santa Maria dos Anjos

December 2012

Valença do Minho 2012.jpg

This sophisticated/emphatic nativity scene was displayed alongside the Igreja Santa Maria dos Anjos located within the historic 17th c. Fortaleza/Fortress.

Caniçada, Gerês, Portugal
Pousada Sao Bento

almoço de Natal/ Christmas Day lunch 2011

Pousada Sao Bento, Caniçada, .jpg

During past years when my husband and I traveled in Portugal at Christmas the assortment of desserts was splendid. I especially enjoyed the Bolo Rei /King's cake made with sweet dough, lemon zest, crystallized fruit and a bit of Port wine.

Camino Frances
Ponferrada
Calle Obispo Camilo Lorenzo
Capilla de Nuestra Señora del Carmen

photo taken March 23, 2007

View attachment 161146

The Capilla is adjacent to the San Nicolas de Flüe albergue. Seeing this new 1999 painting within the dome was a splendid surprise.
These archives discuss the history of the site and the complex iconography of the vibrant painting.

When I volunteered as a hospie at San Nicolas Del Flüe in 2002, I would often sit in this chapel steps from albergue during downtime.

Memories.

Thanks for posting.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

€149,-
Thank you for reminding me of this place, @mspath. A small village nestled among the vineyards of the Bierzo. It seemed quite isolated but in reality I suppose the road to Villafranca was close by. Here‘s another photo of Valtuille de Arriba, taken on October 21 this year.

View attachment 161480
Agree, this village did seem away from everything.
And a few minutes later this cute wee house.

IMG_7211.jpegIMG_7212.jpeg
We walked past here in June, 2022.

A favourite spot in León - the Plaza Santa Maria del Camino in the Barrio Húmedo district. Off the beaten path, quiet and uniquely cobbled, but lively in the evening with great little cafés. September 27, 2023

View attachment 161508

One of those places is Vinoteca El Grifo! Love that winebar.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Camino Frances
Villafranca del Bierzo
albergue Ave Fénix

photo taken November 7, 2004

Villafranca del Bierzo, albergue.jpg

On my 1st CF the albergue Ave Fénix offered an ad hoc series of volumes and levels with slippery steps leading down to an open courtyard and the "loos" on a long, cold night.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Villafranca del Bierzo, Albergue Ave Fénix.
July 2007.

Thank you for stirring fond memories, @mspath ! In addition to a wonderful communal meal of chorizo and fried eggs, there were stories about the albergue's history. My recollection is hazy, but I think people said that the wood used to build Ave Fenix was reclaimed after a fire, telephone beams in particular? Inspiring.

AveFenix.JPG

Camino Frances
Villafranca del Bierzo
Iglesia de Santiago
Puerta del Perdón

photo taken November 21, 2011

Puerta del Perdón.jpg

Medieval pilgrims who arrived at this church door unable to continue were given the same indulgences as valid pilgrims who made it all the way to Santiago de Compostela. Hence this door is known as the Puerta del Perdón/Door of Pardon.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back