• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 10.0

The brand new swimmingpool at the Embalse de Beche with picknick tables and barbecues.
The stall adjacent to the swimmingpool had the worst service ever. Rude too.

f20230830_133811.jpg20230830_133823.jpg

So after a while of being completely ignored we saw behind the pool a very nice restaurant with terrace.
Seems the complex also has some ecological cabins where pilgrims are welcome too.

Brasa de Beche.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Camino Frances
path towards Sahagún

photo taken November 8, 2011

path towards Sahagun.jpg

Wherever our paths might lead
may we go forward with hope.

"...but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope."
Romans 5: 3-4

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Camino Frances
near Calzada de Coto

photo taken November 9, 2011

near Calzada de Coto.jpg

This confusing sign shows 2 ways to get to Mansillas de las Mulas after leaving Sahagún.The CF passes through Bercianos del Real Camino, El Burgo Ranero and Religios. The alternate route accesses Calzada del Coto and continues through Calzadilla de los Hermanillos.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Etapa Hospital de Bruma to Sigueiro.
Way in front our trained friend. Us two limping behind. On this day other friend and I both developed an annoying blister. Mine on top of my right small toe.
That stretch in the forest did not seem to end.

View attachment 159754
Was that the path after the xunta albergue near Ordes? I walked it in pitch black at 7am about a month back and not much could be seen at that point. But it was very foresty, but so was a lot of the Ingles.

Was that the path after the xunta albergue near Ordes? I walked it in pitch black at 7am about a month back and not much could be seen at that point. But it was very foresty, but so was a lot of the Ingles.

No this was further on.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

€60,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
High season! Arrival 1st of September this year.

View attachment 159979
Energy! Day bags? What does it matter! Heart pulls, that is what matters. Buen camino, people - pilgrim , walker, hiker, whoever you are. One day we will all be laughing - so say I - when we round a corner and say - hey! Pax, in as many languages as you can muster. Just be nice to the person next to you on the bus...

October 17, 2023 Day 3 on the Portugués Caminho da Costa
Vila do Conde to Apulia

A powerful storm brewed up and attacked us, mainly from behind, thankfully, although as a result our backpacks were soaked even inside the rain covers. At least it wasn’t cold, but at one point we lost the path, which added to our woes. The ocean was whipped into a fury, with the wind blowing the tops off the waves and lots of churning sea foam.
96343F94-4732-42A3-B1E0-8E49A04C8AAB.jpeg
My friend reminded me that I had said there was a plan B for if the weather along the coast was terrible, which it had been, and was going to be again in two days. Once we arrived at the warm dry haven of the Apulia Praia hotel, I set about figuring out how we could travel to Ponferrada and be ready to set off on the Camino Frances on October 20.

Camino Frances
Mansilla de las Mulas
municipal albergue

photo taken November 18, 2012

Mansilla de Las Mulas.jpg

Tidy shelves for dirty boots helped keep the dorms immaculate at the municipal albergue where the welcoming hospitalera, Laura, in her distinctive way had created with much ambiance and soul a pilgrim home.

Well, I finished my second batch of pictures from my last Camino.
Time to rearrange the rest of the heap I have. So for now, no new pictures but this thread is so dear to me that I will keep popping in here.
You all make my day! ;) Thank you for sharing all those memories and joy.

Well, I finished my second batch of pictures from my last Camino.
Time to rearrange the rest of the heap I have. So for now, no new pictures but this thread is so dear to me that I will keep popping in here.
You all make my day! ;) Thank you for sharing all those memories and joy.
Thanks! I am a passenger and will be so for some time, but hey! Without an audience... Thanks for being so faithful in posting photos. So clean. So freeing. And sometimes, the odd research job gets the adrenaline going!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
October 19, 2023
On this day my friend and I travelled from Viana do Castelo on the Portugués Coastal route via Vigo to Ponferrada by train and bus. The storms had driven us away from the coast and we hoped that the weather would be better if we started again further inland. As a result, we used both of our planned rest days
for travel.
Breakfast before leaving Viana do Castelo (Just so you know, I only ate one of them!):

DDE38D52-2624-4613-8F7E-9B711335F667.jpeg

October 19, 2023
On this day my friend and I travelled from Viana do Castelo on the Portugués Coastal route via Vigo to Ponferrada by train and bus. The storms had driven us away from the coast and we hoped that the weather would be better if we started again further inland. As a result, we used both of our planned rest days
for travel.
Breakfast before leaving Viana do Castelo (Just so you know, I only ate one of them!):

View attachment 160074
You didn't waste the other one, I sincerely hope!!! You can get these here, in Lidl and Aldi, if you don't mind!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Camino Frances
León
calle Mariano Domínguez Berrueta

photo taken November 9, 2010
Somber facades on both sides of this calle frame a narrow view of the nearby cathedral in early morning light.
I love your early morning light @mspath !
The view 13 years later in late afternoon light - September 27, 2023.

IMG_2025.jpg

You didn't waste the other one, I sincerely hope!!! You can get these here, in Lidl and Aldi, if you don't mind!
Certainly not! My friend ate the other one. Now she is trying to replicate the recipe, so far without success. I don’t think I could find pastel de nata here in Canada, unless I come upon a Portuguese bakery. I’ll just have to go back to Portugal…

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Camino Frances, alternate route
from La Virgen del Camino

photo taken November 13, 2011

alternate route from Virgin del Camino.jpg

The alternate camino SW towards Villar de Mazarife avoided highway noise and suburban sprawl. However, mid-November hunters' shots could be heard, often a bit too close for comfort!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Camino Frances
Villar de Mazarife

photo taken November 19, 2014

Villar de Mazarife.jpg

When staying at the comfy Tio Pepe albergue facing this parish church watching those nearby storks provided welcome amusement; I was apparently the only pilgrim patron that cold November day.

Camino Frances. September 14, 2023

Entry to the Albergue Andrés Muñoz in Viana. I stayed here in 2012 and at that time the rooms held triple decker bunk beds!
This year, I arrived 45 minutes in advance of the 12:30pm opening to hopefully get a bed in this very busy booked up town! There were 6 people in line when I arrived. Shortly after, a sign was posted on the door "Only 8 beds available". The albergue, which was undergoing renovations, usually has 46 beds available. Eight were in line by noon and during the next half hour, many disappointed pilgrims arrived to see the sign.
I was so grateful to be one of the eight and had a wonderful stay here.

IMG_0357.jpg

€60,-
Camino Frances. September 14, 2023

Entry to the Albergue Andrés Muñoz in Viana. I stayed here in 2012 and at that time the rooms held triple decker bunk beds!
This year, I arrived 45 minutes in advance of the 12:30pm opening to hopefully get a bed in this very busy booked up town! There were 6 people in line when I arrived. Shortly after, a sign was posted on the door "Only 8 beds available". The albergue, which was undergoing renovations, usually has 46 beds available. Eight were in line by noon and during the next half hour, many disappointed pilgrims arrived to see the sign.
I was so grateful to be one of the eight and had a wonderful stay here.

View attachment 160282
Great shot and memory. When I stayed there on my first CF in 2004 the dorms crowded with 3 tiers resembled movie scenes of a tightly packed WW2 troop ship! Since some were très sportif those uppermost bunks swayed all night.

Camino Frances
Hospital de Órbigo

photo taken November 1, 2004

2004 Hospital de Orbigo.jpg

After this photo was taken I crossed the bridge, lost my footing and fell head first onto paving! Although an egg quickly swelled on my forehead I was rescued by several camino angels.

Camino Frances
east of the Cruz de Santo Toribio
Casa de los Dioses

photos taken November 23, 2013

2013 All you need is love.jpg

A vibrant graffiti partly covered an ad hoc shelter at Casa de los Dioses, a remote haven of camino caritas.

Casa de los Dioses, 23.11. 2013.jpg

Amidst a vast plain with sweeping vistas, David Vidal created/maintained a simple pilgrim oasis. What was most plentiful here was David's special spirit and unconditional selfless love.

Camino Frances
Murias de Rechivaldo
Iglesia de San Esteban

photo taken November 23, 2012

Murias de Rechivaldo, Iglesia.jpg

On my 8th CF after re-admiring the distinctive vernacular belfry of the Iglesia de San Esteban I then sadly noted that much of this once simple hamlet now displayed inauthentic "suburban chic".

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Camino Frances
Murias de Rechivaldo
albergue Las Águedas

photo taken November 3, 2004

Murias de Rechivaldo.jpg

At this private albergue a central patio was encircled by several units. Most were dorms; mine had a pot belly stove which made it very comfy on a cold night in early November!

Camino Frances
Murias de Rechivaldo
albergue Las Águedas

photo taken November 3, 2004

View attachment 160448

At this private albergue a central patio was encircled by several units. Most were dorms; mine had a pot belly stove which made it very comfy on a cold night in early November!
I was there this year, and it has been well cared for. It might be my favourite albergue!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
October 23, 2023 Camino Frances, Laguna de Castilla to Fonfria
On this day I discovered a much easier way to get from O Cebreiro to Linares, without going up and over. The path splits before the albergue, where there is a right fork onto a forest path staying down at the level of the road. Is this new, I wonder? I don’t recall there being two choices in 2018.
Anyway, later on, a nice break from the rain at the cozy Café Bar O Tear at Hospital.

76240026-6B11-4EC1-B6A3-4C765FE912FB.jpeg

October 23, 2023 Camino Frances, Laguna de Castilla to Fonfria
On this day I discovered a much easier way to get from O Cebreiro to Linares, without going up and over. The path splits before the albergue, where there is a right fork onto a forest path staying down at the level of the road. Is this new, I wonder? I don’t recall there being two choices in 2018.
Anyway, later on, a nice break from the rain at the cozy Café Bar O Tear at Hospital.

View attachment 160470
Thanks Rowena for your comment about the split in the path before the Albergue. We went to the left in 2022 as you can see by the photo of me (Anne)! We might go to the right next year. ;)
IMG_7471.jpeg

Camino Frances
Santa Catalina de Somoza

photo taken November 16, 2011

Santa Catalina de Somoza .jpg

Glimpsing the church tower was always a pleasure when arriving at Santa Catalina de Somoza.

stamp San Blas.jpg

The tower's distinctive shape/bells are printed on the sello/stamp of the private albergue hospederia San Blas, calle Real, 11. Friendly and heated (!!) this was a perfect place to stop/eat/stay on a cold day.

A full house at the very welcoming Refugio Municipal Antiguo Hospital de San Juan in Hontanas. A beautiful albergue with wonderful hospitaleros. Camino Frances. September 19, 2023

View attachment 160555
Your handsome photo brings back happy memories. In 2004 I stayed in this attractive municipal albergue for the first time. The door then was always kept ajar in case any pilgrim at any time needed solace. Within a small historic structure much had been built using basic plywood; all was natural wood, terra cotta, or stone and very effective. Heated and with appropriately designed HOT showers it was then a bargain at 5 euros!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back