• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

one fleece or two?

zanuss

Time of past OR future Camino
March2015
I am planning to do the cammino in mid March starting from Leon. After reading previews many say its cold and wet. I was planning to take only one fleece to wear in the evening as while walking I will warm up. Is it a wise decision? I am not used to cold weather as I come from a Mediterranean island. Any help would be appreciated.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Depends on the type of fleece and what other clothes you are bringing! Several thinner layers are more versatile than one thick one. Sometimes I wear 5 or 6 layers altogether, the top one being my rain jacket. Be sure to take light gloves and base-layer long underwear (use for pyjamas as well). I also loved my merino wool buff.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would second the idea that one insulation layer (fleece or down), topped by a rain jacket, with a base layer below would probably be adequate--that is basically what I take into the American mountains in spring/fall, and they are colder than anything on the Frances route. In addition to waterproof gloves or rain mitts, I would also take two stocking hats (one liner, one thick)--that is the equivalent warmth of a fleece to me.

Depends on the type of fleece and what other clothes you are bringing! Several thinner layers are more versatile than one thick one. Sometimes I wear 5 or 6 layers altogether, the top one being my rain jacket. Be sure to take light gloves and base-layer long underwear (use for pyjamas as well). I also loved my merino wool buff.
Thanks I shall be adding thinner layers along with my base layer. I try to imagine walking in the cold, its February here and still I wear only one layer . It tends to get warm.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If I were going in March, I would take thermal underwear (I use Patagonia; level 3 of 4 is warm but not heavy), plus a 250 fleece, plus a rain jacket.

Bring a couple layers of warm and lightweight insulation such as Patagonia's Nano Puff Jacket and a fleece, plus long-sleeve synthetic shirt and a wind/rain jacket with a hood. Remember in April is has snowed on the Camino and you'll be hiking at a high elevation quite a bit, sometimes at 1,000 meters. STAY WARM. :)

I started both my 2013 and 2014 Camino Frances from St. Jean Pied de Port with one fleece zip front jacket. On my first Camino, I was compelled by the weather to buy a second, 1/4 zip pullover fleece to wear as an underlayer as soon as I reached Pamplona. Of course, I gave that away when I returned home.:(

So, naturally, on my second Camino Frances, in 2014, I once again found a need to have a second fleece layer and ended up being able to buy an Altus branded pullover on sale in Burgos. ;)

I should add that my first layer for this past April - May Camino was a short sleeve Underarmour polo / golf shirt. I found the flip-up collar to help on cold and wet days and to protect from sunburn on hot sunny days. The two fleece layers were next, and the top layer was a Gore Tex rain jacket. I topped this off with a microfiber "buff." On really cold mornings, like when the temperature was less than 5 degrees (c) I usually switched to my heavier fleece watch cap.

When I encountered rain or snow I added my Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil poncho on top of everything. Yes you can encounter snow, especially at higher elevations into May. There was light snow at Cruz de Ferro on 16 May last year. Also, O'Cebreiro was lost in a white out, a very heavy snow squall, when I reached there in May 2014 as well.

So, in addition to fleece, be sure to bring a lightweight fast-drying warm cap and gloves. I prefer micro fleece and microfiber as they insulate even when wet, dry fast, and the gloves help with my walking sticks. I found a neon / safety yellow colored cap that is great for early morning road walking.:)

I hope this helps...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
An interesting question and one which I asked to myself last week. I've decided to leave the fleece
behind, a Patagonia R1 hoody, and take in it's place a lightweight synthetic insulation jacket,
a Haglofs LIM barrier hoody. The jacket is thin and easy to layer and with a full length zip
more adaptable. There's a considerable weight saving as the R1 hoody is not a lightweight fleece.

Part of my thinking was that I could combine the jacket and a pair of Polartec 200 fleece long johns
as warm PJs and dispense with the sleeping bag, using a silk liner and hopefully blankets from wherever
I'm staying ? This is for a walk which starts mid March through to April

( Vanity entered into the decision as well, the R1 clung to me like a second skin. Not a pleasant site )

My solution is a vest-like fleece worn underneath a fleece sized fleece. Extremely warm, either easily removed as required, light weight, and no hassle.

Thanks to all for your help and information. Quess its colder than I thought it would be. Quess I'll be updating my kit. Just five weeks to go now .a fleece like vest is agreat idea added to the layers.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi zanuss.
I too shall start my camino in mid-March from Leon, arriving Leon on the 15th and start the walk on the next day. I too come from a Mediterranean island, Malta.

Regarding wearing gear, mine is the following:
2 merino wool long-sleeve underwear (1 to wear and another spare)
2 fleece tops (relatively thin - 1 to wear and another spare)
1 thin wool top (for evening)
Waterproof jacket with underlying fleece jacket
Poncho (to cover backpack and me if in critical weather)
3 underwear pants (1 to wear and 2 spare)
1 long-john
1 winter trousers
waterproof trousers (windbreaker type - very thin and weightless - for critical weather)

Hope this helps. Buen Camino.
David

Thanks dave will miss you by 4 days maybe we shall meet on the cammino.
Hi zanuss.
I too shall start my camino in mid-March from Leon, arriving Leon on the 15th and start the walk on the next day. I too come from a Mediterranean island, Malta.

Regarding wearing gear, mine is the following:
2 merino wool long-sleeve underwear (1 to wear and another spare)
2 fleece tops (relatively thin - 1 to wear and another spare)
1 thin wool top (for evening)
Waterproof jacket with underlying fleece jacket
Poncho (to cover backpack and me if in critical weather)
3 underwear pants (1 to wear and 2 spare)
1 long-john
1 winter trousers
waterproof trousers (windbreaker type - very thin and weightless - for critical weather)

Hope this helps. Buen Camino.
David

I am planning to do the cammino in mid March starting from Leon. After reading previews many say its cold and wet. I was planning to take only one fleece to wear in the evening as while walking I will warm up. Is it a wise decision? I am not used to cold weather as I come from a Mediterranean island. Any help would be appreciated.
After taking only one fleece on my first Camino I have since taken 2, one midweight and one lightweight. First time it was so cold that we had to buy extra fleeces and they were heavy for their warmth rate. The ability to layer and be warm when needed has been good. Total weight of both fleeces is 700gms, the Spanish fleece weighd 550gms on its own. It can be cold still at the time you are plannning to walk so IMO a second fleece would be good.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I have just boarded an Iberia flight to Madrid, and so far have seen two people come on with collapsed poles attached to their backpacks. The topic that never dies……
The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
I will do the Camino Frances from mid June to mid July and will start in Pamplona. Should I take a fleece/cold weather garment?
Hey all! Having rabbit holed many, many packing lists, I'd love y'alls feedback on my packing list - https://lighterpack.com/r/p6hm36 For context, I'm 49, medium experienced hiker, weigh 200lbs...
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
The new "Experience" line from Altra looks interesting. Has anybody tried them yet? I will order a pair of Altra Experience Wild and report back after some day hikes. They have the traditional...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.