A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Orrison question

2020 Camino Guides
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances April 2020
Hello,

I just received my confirmation reservation for the Orrison refuge for 10 April 2020! I'm so thrilled to have the choice to walk the Napoleon route if it's open. Anyway, for my question, my credit card was charged half the amount for a deposit. Will the other half be paid with my credit card in April or do I pay cash? Thanks for your time.

Jeanne

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Hello,

I just received my confirmation reservation for the Orrison refuge for 10 April 2020! I'm so thrilled to have the choice to walk the Napoleon route if it's open. Anyway, for my question, my credit card was charged half the amount for a deposit. Will the other half be paid with my credit card in April or do I pay cash? Thanks for your time.

Jeanne
When I've stayed there they only accepted cash.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Did you have a reservation in advance charged to your credit card?
I did have a reservation paid for with my credit card via PayPal. Is Orisson now accepting credit cards? I thought that they only took PayPal.
You will find that most albergues, and bars/restaurants on the Camino only take cash.

Camino(s) past & future
I did have a reservation paid for with my credit card via PayPal. Is Orisson now accepting credit cards? I thought that they only took PayPal.
Yes, because I don't have PayPal. So did you pay the full amount or half amount in cash? I'm asking because I am also paying for my daughter and I want to make sure I budget enough Euros.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Yes, because I don't have PayPal. So did you pay the full amount or half amount in cash? I'm asking because I am also paying for my daughter and I want to make sure I budget enough Euros.
When there is more than one person they charge half on advance and the balance when you arrive. Plan on cash.

Ian and Helen Miller

Donating Members
Camino(s) past & future
Sept 16/ 2016. Leon to Santiago . SJPDP to Santiago. (Sept/ Oct 2019 ).
When there is more than one person they charge half on advance and the balance when you arrive. Plan on cash.
Thanks for your text, We just booked for Sept 2020, paid half and could not figure out how we pay the balance. Thank you again for you explanation. Ian and Helen

Louis Lloyd

Camino(s) past & future
2018 French SJPP to Fisterra and Muxia completed
2020 Portuguese from Lisbon
2020 French
We stayed at Orisson in 2018 the balance was paid in cash. We found more than 50% of Albergues accepted our preloaded debit card rather than cash.
Now on 10 April 2020 we will be at Coimbra as part of our Portugués Lisbon to Santiago Camino. And it will be my 70th birthday!

Camino(s) past & future
We stayed at Orisson in 2018 the balance was paid in cash. We found more than 50% of Albergues accepted our preloaded debit card rather than cash.
Now on 10 April 2020 we will be at Coimbra as part of our Portugués Lisbon to Santiago Camino. And it will be my 70th birthday!
What is a preloaded debit card?

Louis Lloyd

Camino(s) past & future
2018 French SJPP to Fisterra and Muxia completed
2020 Portuguese from Lisbon
2020 French
So it is a Visa currency card (we are from Australia) which we converted Australian dollars to euros before we left on our trip. Then we used this card for 90% of our transaction, food, accommodation meals and other costs. We also used it at ATMs to get euro cash. We generally carried around 400 euros in cash

SueNZ

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2021
Hey Jeanne, I've just received my Transferwise card I ordered a few weeks ago. It's a debit card you preload with whatever currencies you'll require on your trip. I've not yet used it, but it looks like it could be just the thing to have with you. (Plus a backup card as well).

Margaret Butterworth

Camino(s) past & future
2013 (Pamplona to Burgos)
2014 (Burgos to Villafranca del Bierzo)
2015 (Villafranca to Santiago)
2016 (Le Puy to Conques; SJPP To Pamplona)
Of course these pre-loaded cards mean that you are paying for your holiday in advance, as opposed to afterwards with a normal credit card.

Camino(s) past & future
CF September (2019) SJPP to Logrono
CF May/June (2020) Logrono to ?
I use a Monzo debit card (Mastercard). You don’t need to ‘preload’ it in advance just make sure you have sufficient funds in your Monzo debit account in your own currency.

The benefit of this card (others are available) is you don’t need to pre buy currency. You only get charged the MasterCard basic fee, there are no bank or currency charges on top.

I used it in Cambodia and Vietnam in March and on the CF in September, it works a treat. You can also use it as a debit card at ATM when you need cash.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 9 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 49 4.1%
  • April

Votes: 178 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 291 24.5%
  • June

Votes: 85 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.9%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.3%
  • September

Votes: 339 28.6%
  • October

Votes: 146 12.3%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.4%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock