• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Osprey Kestrel... or not?

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
Hello folks - when I walked last year I used a 48l kestrel from Osprey http://www.ospreyeurope.com/gb_en/v...trel-series/kestrel-48?color=120#.VN54sy6Bkg4

I was reasonably happy with it... plenty of space and it was comfortable and no rubbing anywhere or uncomfortable straps.

I did find getting my water out of the pocket tricky and often I had to stop and remove the pack... so this wasn't ideal. Also, there are two small zip pockets on the waist that were useful but quite small... bigger pockets would have been useful... not a big deal though.

My husband is looking to buy a new pack for his camino and I am wondering if we should try something else? Even though he'll be using the pack for his week... I could end up using it... so it's a chance to think about different options.

Any recommendations? Or would you say if my pack was comfortable I should stick with it?

Many thanks in advance :D

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, you've obviously got the bug so if you're not happy with the Kestrel, why not get something you will be happier with and let your husband carry the Kestrel for a week? It has adjustable harness so should be possible to fit it for someone else.
I have the same thing about water bottles and can easily recommend the Osprey Aura 35, it has a dual opening in the stretchy side pockets so you can take out and replace the bottle either side. It also has a very comfy and ventilated back system, quite good belt pockets and a very practical zipped opening. Plus it is smaller and lighter so you can/have to carry less!Also, if you like the drawstring top opening of the Kestrel, have you looked at the lighter and slightly smaller Osprey Talon 44 or Tempest 40 for the ladies, they have the same design-ish, but dual opening stretch side pockets. They also have less padding, but when you carry less weight that sort of becomes moot. (My Tempest 30 weighs 5 kg for my March camino and wears great.)

Or, you know, any other pack that fits you. But it does help to know what you want and what doesn't work for you. I won't tell you how many packs I have tried but think of a high number and you might be close ... :D

Last edited:
Thanks Nidarosa - I was looking at the Talon 44... or I wondered something completely different... I guess if I dont find it comfortable I'll just give it back to my husband :rolleyes:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-
Hello folks - when I walked last year I used a 48l kestrel from Osprey http://www.ospreyeurope.com/gb_en/v...trel-series/kestrel-48?color=120#.VN54sy6Bkg4

I was reasonably happy with it... plenty of space and it was comfortable and no rubbing anywhere or uncomfortable straps.

I did find getting my water out of the pocket tricky and often I had to stop and remove the pack... so this wasn't ideal. Also, there are two small zip pockets on the waist that were useful but quite small... bigger pockets would have been useful... not a big deal though.

My husband is looking to buy a new pack for his camino and I am wondering if we should try something else? Even though he'll be using the pack for his week... I could end up using it... so it's a chance to think about different options.

Any recommendations? Or would you say if my pack was comfortable I should stick with it?

I have the same pack and love it. I do not have problems getting bottles out, just putting them back in. I usually just tuck it in the waste band until until empty. The pouches on the belt are great for holding gloves or a snack. I also like the attached pack cover.

My vote is stick with it. :)

Ultreya,
Joe

I have owned a few Ospreys, and all of them were the same when it came to water bottles on the side: a pain if you are a solo walker, just fine if you have a sidekick to hand you your bottle. Even the Tempest is like that. What about adding a Camelback to it? It has the benefit of keeping the weight of the water in the middle, never off to one side as you drink out of a particular bottle.

Unless money, and perhaps waste, is not an issue, I would stick with what you have. After all, you have a sidekick to hand you your bottle. And the little pockets in the front, really not useful when on the go, but they are a way to easily get to particular items, often smaller items. And even if you didn't mind the expense and the waste, I wouldn't be able to guide you to another brand that would keep bottles handy.

Can I just add that @Anemone del Camino is right about most Ospreys, but like I say not the Atmos and Aura in their second most recent incarnation, the plum/aubergine one for women and black or blue for men, and the recent model Talon 44 and Tempest 40 (but not the smaller ones) - these models have dual entry side pockets that make it easier to put your bottles back yourself. Just to clarify. I can't stand water bladders as I can't see how much is left and it can get (full of) bacteria, and I can't stand swinging bottles hooked on the harness either (but otherwise I'm quite friendly).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
The Osprey Manta has the bladder pocket on the outsideā€¦on the back.

I own seven or eight rucksacks, the Mrs has four. I just buy them if I like the look. Choosing which rucksac then becomes a last second decision based around the pile I have to carry and the weather report.

Not that that makes the decision much easier, it's just more likely to be workable.

The mrs loves her Lowe Eclipse. She likes to be able to unzip most of the front to get to her lunch easily. The greedy piggy loves to watch me search fruitlessly for my spork while munching on a well honed sandwich.

It depends on your priorities. I am moving away from ultra light to a more structured approach as I walk lesser distances as I get more laid back.

My advice, buy lots of rucksacks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
I would think lighter. That Kestrel is 1.5Kg by itself, and it is designed to carry about 15-20Kg (far more than I hope you are carrying). Also, I think that Kestrel is designed for a man (the woman's version is called the Kyte, at least in the States). So I would vote to let your husband carry that heavy beast and get yourself a lighter pack.

My wife and I carried the Stratos 26L and 24L respectively (yes, my wife also carried a man's pack--she is very petite and without all the curves the woman's models assume). The mesh netting "hammock" suspension system is much cooler against the back than the foam on the Kestrel/Kyte. About a half kilo lighter than the Kestrel. I was very happy with my pack and would carry it again.

As for getting water bottles out of pockets, I did not need to because I got a hydration tube that attached to my water bottle (not bladder), which was easier to clean and refill. http://shop.camelbak.com/eddy-handsfree-adapter/d/1259_cl_3558 You would probably also need to get the matching Eddy bottle (I only needed .75L).

Buen Camino.

I agree Jo Jo. Light is good.

On my last summer venture I carried 4.5-5.5 kilos - sack, clothes I was wearing, water, footwear, and snack, all inclusive. And I had too much.

A one and a half kilo rucksack seems like a lot. My lightest rucksack, a golite ion weighs 220 grams, 9oz in old money. That's less than a sixth of the weight of the osprey. Though I do admit 20 litres is limiting and the lack of top pocket is slightly inconvenient.

My first year walking: Osprey Kestrel 48 with 3-L water bladder. Very comfortable. My second year walking: Osprey Kestrel 38 with 2-L water bladder. Still comfortable but a pound lighter. My third and fourth year walking: Osprey Exos 48 with 2-L water bladder and a disposable water bottle in side pocket. The lightest rig yet, and have something to refill at water fountains during the day, as well. Very comfortable and durable.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
It just sounds like such a HUGE pack to me!
People say "you don't have to fill it up" but doesn't stuff shuffle around if you don't?
And isn't it very tempting to fill it?
I don't know.. I use a 30L and it's plenty big.

30L! . . . luxury, when I was a lad. . .

suggest you take a looks at zpacks.com....very lightweight equipment...they have some pockets that you can attach to your present pack straps to solve the water bottle problem....good stuff!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I loved my kestrel. I found the larger size useful because it was easy to pack. You do not need to fill it to the max. As far as water was concerned I used a small fanny pack in the front that held two water bottles, my snacks and a small amount of cash. I would not be without it. I did not want to be and will not be one of those poor unfortunates that has to rely on somebody else to pass them their water bottle.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions folks.

I think I do want to go lighter, every little helps. I went with a man's pack befre as I'm 1.76m tall and I felt the mans pack was better... but I can test the theory out in the shop? I've seen a Lowe pack the Airflow but it's not saving any weight - but the shop I go to in Bordeaux stocks Lowe too so I can have a go.

EDIT - I also like the Osprey Talon 44L

I much prefer a bottle rather than a bladder... for no real reason apart from that I prefer to have a bottle.

I used lots of different ultralite stuff sacks before, they seperated all my kit into an orderly collection and they were all waterproof... I'll do this again and also get some sacks for my husband so he can do that same. I never felt my 48L was anywhere near full so I'm happy to drop a little... but I dont want to go too small - around 40L would be fine I think.

I like the clip-on water bottle idea... I will investigate this as it maybe a good solution.

Great ideas - many thanks

Last edited:

My wife carried a Osprey 46L (model unk) from Geneva to Santiago and loved it. If she had to decide between her pack and me, she would have picked her pack. Sadly, her pack was stolen, and Osprey no longer made that model. She now has an Osprey Sirrius 36L. It opens both top and front and could take a bladder, although we always hike together, so I do have some value in handing her a water bottle.
Not sure anybody agrees, but I think finding a pack that is comfortable for the long haul is as important as finding the right boots.
Incidentally almost all of the packs have compression straps, so a small load in a bigger pack can be cinched down. My pack is a Osprey 65L, it is never full, and empty weight is less than many smaller packs. Dave

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Hello Les,
The Osprey Kestral 48 is a fine choice. That pack holds a hydration bladder if you choose to use one. I just use a nylon water bottle pouch that hangs on my chest strap. That way my water bottle is always easily accessible. I use the water bottle pockets on the pack just to carry extra water that I rotate onto my chest strap when that one is empty.
Good hiking

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I use the lightweight Osprey Exos and the side pockets on the Exos make it quite easy to get your bottle while walking alone. Check it out.

I used an REI Crestrail 48L pack last summer when I walked the Camino. Great pack. Lightweight, etc, but was really too big for a summertime CF. If I were to do it again I think I would downsize and purchase a pack of around 32-34 liters. I've looked at the Osprey Stratos 34 and that looks perfect to me.
Another advantage of the smaller volume packs is that they can be stowed on the flights to and from Spain as carry-on's (as long as you don't put knives, liquids, etc in them). I carried-on my 48L pack on the flights, but it was pushing the limits size-wise.

I used an REI Crestrail 48L pack last summer when I walked the Camino. Great pack. Lightweight, etc, but was really too big for a summertime CF. If I were to do it again I think I would downsize and purchase a pack of around 32-34 liters. I've looked at the Osprey Stratos 34 and that looks perfect to me.
Another advantage of the smaller volume packs is that they can be stowed on the flights to and from Spain as carry-on's (as long as you don't put knives, liquids, etc in them). I carried-on my 48L pack on the flights, but it was pushing the limits size-wise.
Hi Mark,
Just yesterday I purchased the Stratos 36 instead of the Stratos 34 mainly because the 36 has a roomy top hood with two zippered pockets and and the ability to top load and panel load vs. panel load only for the 34. In a size medium/large the 36 only weighs 3 ounces more than the 34 though being about 3" taller. For me it came down to fit. The 36 was more comfortable on my back loaded with 15 pounds than the 34 was loaded with 10 pounds. Definitely try on with some weight to see which works best for you. Both are good choices for general day hiking. I plan to use my 36 on the Camino Portuguese.
Good hiking.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello folks - my new pack arrived today. In the end I went for the Osprey Talon 44l. It's not much of a downsize from my old pack but half a kilo lighter. I've loaded all my gear and I'm ready to go... it felt great having a pack on my back again :rolleyes:

Ah, good news!

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesnā€™t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Hello beautiful community; Iā€™m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) Iā€™ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Hereā€™s my final packing list (excluding basic...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.