• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pack weights: I just measured it

Hi Alyssa,

Someone told me that "my stuff was my burden". I was a slow learner and didn't jettison my Tevas, an air mattress and a few other "necessities" until I reached Leon. That said, I would have been chilly in the albergues in a silk liner last June/July and am taking a light fleece blanket this year.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've gone back and forth about the sleeping gear, Trekster. Did you need something warm in all the albergues or would you have been able to use a blanket on top of your liner at most of them?

I had a silk liner and a sleeping bag last year and found the liner wasn't enough for me. I was happy to use my own sleeping bag as the blankets, when available, fell into the "yikes" category. There are others who are just fine using the albergue blankets. I think you will find there are many opinions on this.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Today I learned my lesson...I should have payed closer attention to you veteran walkers and all your advice regarding ruthlessly paring down the pack weight.

I walked 19.3 kilometers with an elevation gain of 434.8 meters wearing a 6.4 kilo pack (inclusive of 3.5 liters of water - no refills along the route). By kilometer 11.27, I had decided to replace my 820-gram sleeping bag with a 170-gram silk liner and to eliminate a 297.67 gram long-sleeve shirt. By kilometer 14, the 552-gram Tevas as alternate hiking shoes/evening shoes were mentally tossed out the window in favor of a 302-gram pair of Croc-like shoes. Oh, and by the end of the trail, I'd decided to return the 46-liter, 1.5-kilo pack and keep the 36-liter, 1.27 kilo pack.

The thing is, carrying that weight was "do-able" but I realized I had no desire to "do" it.

Thank goodness it was a practice run. I'm a believer.

Beautifully put! You have made me laugh Alyssa.
To cheer you up, you won't need to carry that much water.
After many years I've come down in favour of a sleeping bag but the lightest one I can find that opens out flat. Currently I have a down filled sleeping bag liner which is adequate.

Beautifully put! You have made me laugh Alyssa.
To cheer you up, you won't need to carry that much water.
After many years I've come down in favour of a sleeping bag but the lightest one I can find that opens out flat. Currently I have a down filled sleeping bag liner which is adequate.
What do you put on top of you if you open it out flat? How much does yours weigh?

I had a silk liner and a sleeping bag last year and found the liner wasn't enough for me. I was happy to use my own sleeping bag as the blankets, when available, fell into the "yikes" category. There are others who are just fine using the albergue blankets. I think you will find there are many opinions on this.
Yes, the opinions run the gamut! My impression is that more women than men tend to favor the sleeping bag, not surprising since bags are rated differently for men and women; REI mentions on their page about choosing a bag,
  • Gender: Women generally prefer a bit warmer bag than men, up to 8°F warmer per EN (European Norm) testing on backpacking bags.
(I've considered creating a poll about this.)

What do you put on top of you if you open it out flat? How much does yours weigh?

Alyssa, I throw my cotton sarong on the bed. That gives me the option of sleeping inside the bag or under it, like a doona. Or if it's really hot I sleep on top of the bag and use the sarong as a top sheet.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.