• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing list for September Camino

fallow

Time of past OR future Camino
(2014)
I will be doing the Frances Camino in September this year and am unsure of what weather conditions I need to be prepared for. Could anyone who has walked through the month of Sept advise me please. I want to travel lightly but don't want to freeze! I have a Mountain Hardware Pyxis hoody and a Helly Hansen long Aden raincoat to take plus zip-off shorts/longs and quick-dry shirts. Please give me your advice - thanks in anticipation!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Expect- rain, cold days.
A poncho is best to protect you from Rain. You'll need warm clothes for cold mornings and nights. Maximium pack weight should not exceed 6-7 kg without water and food.
I am sure there are many gear lists on our forum to help you plan.

Prepare for rain. Prepare for cold mornings. Prepare for achingly hot, sunny days.

Sorry, that doesn't help much. Bottom line is it's six weeks, multiple changes of altitude at a changeable time of year.

I'm not familiar with the kit you mention but it sounds like your approach is sound. A couple lightweight base layers, to be worn alone when it's hot. a mid-layer, for warmth. Then a waterproof shell.

My top tip? Gloves. It's amazing the difference having warm hands makes!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I always take a small Book of Psalms-woderful poetry in the Hebrew original as well as encouragement when you need it the most. Try Psalm 91:
...Because thou hast made the Lord, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.
For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.
They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone

Don't be worried about storms or about the rain Psalm 97:
The Lord reigneth; let the earth rejoice; let the multitude of isles be glad thereof.
Clouds and darkness are round about him: righteousness and judgment are the habitation of his throne.
A fire goeth before him, and burneth up his enemies round about.
His lightnings enlightened the world: the earth saw, and trembled.
The hills melted like wax at the presence of the Lord, at the presence of the Lord of the whole earth.
The heavens declare his righteousness, and all the people see his glory...

There are 150 Psalms in the Bible, (hundreds more in the Dead Sea Scrolls but that's not our subject right now) read 5 every evening and by the time you have reached Santiago you will have been inspired by them all.

I have never taken anything special at that time. The usual layers will work. I have had a week of rain in October, and had a completely dry September-October. The bits of cold were short and not severe.

Buen camino!

Top tip: Wool.
I started in late August, in a heatwave, and packed mostly man made tech fibre clothing, but had long johns and long sleeved top in merino wool. By the end of Sept (hello, Galicia!) I was wearing ... everything. Wool under my walking trousers, wool under my shirt and jacket. Bring wool. It is warm even when damp, doesn't feel too warm in the sun and doesn't stink even if you have to go a few days without washing and drying it, which is a bonus. In September (and in Galicia) you can't rely on drying weather every day.

Same goes for your socks - wool is a much better material for feet stuck in boots than man made fibres (in my opinion). Rub your feet with vaseline (or some used VapoRub), then put on thin liner sock and finally a good thinnish wool sock. Practically guaranteed to keep your tootsies blister free, warm and snug - but not overcooked, which makes you just as uncomfortable as being cold.

I also started with just a silk liner, thinking that plus the wool would be enough, but it wasn't. Not for me, anyway. I ended up buying a thin summer sleeping bag which compressed to an incredibly small size, and with the silk liner inside and my woollies on, it was fine. Some of the old, stone buildings can get pretty cold at night!

Also it was a lot windier than I had expected. Bring a sun hat if you want - I gave up on mine because it always blew off! - but take a wool or fleece hat too, to keep your ears cosy.

Next time I go, which will probably be around the same time, I am taking merino T-shirts, my wool ensamble from last time, and an extra fleece.

I also could not have done without my Altus rain jacket/poncho, there are lots of threads on it in the forum.

Happy planning and buen camino!
Linda

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In Sept 2011 we walked the whole Camino from mid sept to mid October without seeing one drop of rain. It got a bit fresher nearing Santiago. Last year, starting one week earlier, we had rain, on and off for most of the time. Anne

I walked from SjPdP to Fisterra in late October to early December 2012. I encountered frost on an almost daily basis from mid November.

Even though September will likely be warmer and more stable You will be crossing 3 mountain passes where potentially lethal cool wet weather that can include snow can be expected any time of year. The risk from cool wet conditions is hypothermia.

Whenever I go hiking I wear a long sleeve nylon shirt, shorts with knee high gaiters, and a light weight cap (see outdoor research palliser cap). For cool weather I wear a combination of scarf, rag knit gloves, and 100 weight fleece as needed. I use a rain jacket in windy and wet conditions. This rig has proven sufficient for many hikes in mountains. I wore this rig on the camino.

I also carry a 300 weight fleece which I wear in the evenings.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
You will be able to buy extra layers if you need them, along the way.
We started 5 th September, and it was very hot during the day, and cooler, but not cold, at night. It sounds like you have the right stuff...
Gloves are good for the early mornings.
By October it was a lot cooler, the meseta was very windy, but no real rain until Galicia.
Buen camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.