Packing list

03ameissner

May 18, 2013
Time of past OR future Camino
August 2013
Hello!!!!

I start on the 5th August in belorado. Should I bring waterproofs? Warm clothes? Or just leave them? Packing list would be great! I think I have pretty much everything I need apart from a sleeping bag liner. Do you think walking sticks are more of a nuisance than an aid? Thank you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

dougfitz

Veteran Member
Mar 12, 2011
Past: a few
Last: Sanabres
Next: St Olav's Way
Waterproofs - prepare for the climate, walk in the weather. It is likely to rain on several days, but August is the lowest rainfall month across northern Spain. See, for example, http://www.leon.climatemps.com/. There is a remarkably small chance that it won't rain at all in 24 or 25 days, but given the other conditions, you might be happy to take a chance with a light plastic poncho or the like.

Walking sticks - if you aren't already using them, then I would normally suggest that the Camino is not the place to learn. That said, if you do take the trouble to learn to use them properly, they will help reduce the load on your lower joints (ankles, knees and hips), improve your stability on slopes and give your upper body similar toning up to that which you will be giving your legs etc walking every day :)

Regards,

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Magwood

Veteran Member
Feb 19, 2013
Bristol, UK
www.magwood.me
See signature line for links to daily posts to blogs from many caminos

Rambler

Jun 26, 2007
USA
savini-santiago.blogspot.com
June 2008 Camino Frances with Daughter, 2014 Camino Frances with Son
Here is the packing list we used for out June Camino
http://savini-santiago.blogspot.com/sea ... results=36
Look at the May 6th blog entry.

August will be hotter, but I think we carried the right level of gear for that time of year.

As to walking poles, I believe it depends on the condition you are in before leaving. I took them and never used them. Next year I will leave them behind.
But if you have any knee issues, or find with your training walks that you struggle to go beyond 15k, they will help take pressure off your knees.

Again, try them as you train and see if you feel they make a big enough difference.

Rambler

maximillian2

Jan 28, 2013
United States of America
May (2013); May (2015)
I came back from my Camino last June 28. My backpack weighed 12 lbs. and my front bag 5 lbs. I kept only basic stuff since I went for spiritual reasons - to experience the life of the pilgrims when they walked many years before.

It took me 33 days to get from St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela from May 10 to June 15. It was raining almost all the time. It always rains in Galicia, but I think a light weight poncho will be useful.

A very lightweight sleeping bag liner (maybe silk) will be most useful to maintain your privacy when you are sleeping in Albergues where some of the dorms are coed and the beds are arranged side-by-side to each other. You could actually see the face of the other person laying next to you. It is also good for security reasons. I kept all my valuables with me inside my sleeping bag.

Consider bringing a very light bed liner treated with permethrin. It helped me prevent bed bugs and insects. Unfortunately, I got rid of my bed liner to prematurely (got too confident). I got bedbugs in the hotel in Santiago.

I used a trekking pole only because I have a knee problem. It helped me a lot in climbing and descending the slopes when slippery with mud. I also used it to test the stability of rocks I am about to step on.

I also used a knee strap with a dial to adjust the tension.

I considered all of the above because I am a 59 year old woman with very little experience in walking. My only exercise before the Camino was breathing and eating.

Since you will be walking during summer, read up on how to prevent blisters. It was the problem of many of the peregrinos. Some had to go home early because of it.

Buen Camino!!!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

clairescamino

Feb 24, 2013
frances 2013
Never understood the walking ple advice of if you dont know how dont take them
Where do you learn?
A 500 mile hike is a pretty good place to learn
I could not have done it without them
Thanks to the austrians and germans that gave short tutorials
But even when i miss used, had them too short
To start, they sill helped me find solid terrain to tread
No knee straps for me
I soon learned
I could spin & juggle them by santiago
I bought for 25% off camino price back home

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
03ameissner said:
Hello!!!!

I start on the 5th August in belorado. Should I bring waterproofs? Warm clothes? Or just leave them? Packing list would be great! I think I have pretty much everything I need apart from a sleeping bag liner. Do you think walking sticks are more of a nuisance than an aid? Thank you!

There is a great list at http://www.rudolf-josef-fischer.de/pilg ... liste.html, pity in German only. I'd be willing to translate in case of a manifested interest.

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.