• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing list

03ameissner

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2013
Hello!!!!

I start on the 5th August in belorado. Should I bring waterproofs? Warm clothes? Or just leave them? Packing list would be great! I think I have pretty much everything I need apart from a sleeping bag liner. Do you think walking sticks are more of a nuisance than an aid? Thank you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Waterproofs - prepare for the climate, walk in the weather. It is likely to rain on several days, but August is the lowest rainfall month across northern Spain. See, for example, http://www.leon.climatemps.com/. There is a remarkably small chance that it won't rain at all in 24 or 25 days, but given the other conditions, you might be happy to take a chance with a light plastic poncho or the like.

Walking sticks - if you aren't already using them, then I would normally suggest that the Camino is not the place to learn. That said, if you do take the trouble to learn to use them properly, they will help reduce the load on your lower joints (ankles, knees and hips), improve your stability on slopes and give your upper body similar toning up to that which you will be giving your legs etc walking every day :)

Regards,

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Here is the packing list we used for out June Camino
http://savini-santiago.blogspot.com/sea ... results=36
Look at the May 6th blog entry.

August will be hotter, but I think we carried the right level of gear for that time of year.

As to walking poles, I believe it depends on the condition you are in before leaving. I took them and never used them. Next year I will leave them behind.
But if you have any knee issues, or find with your training walks that you struggle to go beyond 15k, they will help take pressure off your knees.

Again, try them as you train and see if you feel they make a big enough difference.

Rambler

I came back from my Camino last June 28. My backpack weighed 12 lbs. and my front bag 5 lbs. I kept only basic stuff since I went for spiritual reasons - to experience the life of the pilgrims when they walked many years before.

It took me 33 days to get from St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela from May 10 to June 15. It was raining almost all the time. It always rains in Galicia, but I think a light weight poncho will be useful.

A very lightweight sleeping bag liner (maybe silk) will be most useful to maintain your privacy when you are sleeping in Albergues where some of the dorms are coed and the beds are arranged side-by-side to each other. You could actually see the face of the other person laying next to you. It is also good for security reasons. I kept all my valuables with me inside my sleeping bag.

Consider bringing a very light bed liner treated with permethrin. It helped me prevent bed bugs and insects. Unfortunately, I got rid of my bed liner to prematurely (got too confident). I got bedbugs in the hotel in Santiago.

I used a trekking pole only because I have a knee problem. It helped me a lot in climbing and descending the slopes when slippery with mud. I also used it to test the stability of rocks I am about to step on.

I also used a knee strap with a dial to adjust the tension.

I considered all of the above because I am a 59 year old woman with very little experience in walking. My only exercise before the Camino was breathing and eating.

Since you will be walking during summer, read up on how to prevent blisters. It was the problem of many of the peregrinos. Some had to go home early because of it.

Buen Camino!!!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Never understood the walking ple advice of if you dont know how dont take them
Where do you learn?
A 500 mile hike is a pretty good place to learn
I could not have done it without them
Thanks to the austrians and germans that gave short tutorials
But even when i miss used, had them too short
To start, they sill helped me find solid terrain to tread
No knee straps for me
I soon learned
I could spin & juggle them by santiago
I bought for 25% off camino price back home

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
03ameissner said:
Hello!!!!

I start on the 5th August in belorado. Should I bring waterproofs? Warm clothes? Or just leave them? Packing list would be great! I think I have pretty much everything I need apart from a sleeping bag liner. Do you think walking sticks are more of a nuisance than an aid? Thank you!

There is a great list at http://www.rudolf-josef-fischer.de/pilg ... liste.html, pity in German only. I'd be willing to translate in case of a manifested interest.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.