• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pairing an apple watch w/ Spanish SIM card

Phoenix

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Before I go down the rabbit hole of searching tech sites, checking in here to see if anyone has experience on Camino with pairing an apple watch with their phone after installing a SIM card purchased in Spain, Portugal, etc.

If so, did you encounter problems either while on Camino or after re-pairing with your pre-Camino SIM card? TIA

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Zero problems... I've done it on two trips now. The watch pairs with your hardware, not with the SIM card, so it makes no difference.
:)

Edit to add: the watch, like the phone, will automatically adjust to your new timezone(s) as well. You don't need to adjust it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zero problems... I've done it on two trips now. The watch pairs with your hardware, not with the SIM card, so it makes no difference.
:)

Edit to add: the watch, like the phone, will automatically adjust to your new timezone(s) as well. You don't need to adjust it.
Great news. Thanks, Faye!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Some of the Apple Watches of the latest generations do not need a paired hardware to act as a phone. If you have one, you may get in touch with a Spanish or Portuguese operator to get, apart from the physical SIM, also a virtual SIM (a code that you install on your watch). One item less to carry.

Some of the Apple Watches of the latest generations do not need a paired hardware to act as a phone. If you have one, you may get in touch with a Spanish or Portuguese operator to get, apart from the physical SIM, also a virtual SIM (a code that you install on your watch). One item less to carry.
Oh, yes; that is the cellular enabled version, but given the OP information I don’t think Phoenix has a cell-ready watch.

Oh, yes; that is the cellular enabled version, but given the OP information I don’t think Phoenix has a cell-ready watch.
It is cell enabled. My wife recently gifted me an apple watch. I’m still learning about it as I transition from an analog watch for years —> no watch for years —> smart watch. All info is helpful and appreciated.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It is cell enabled. My wife recently gifted me an apple watch. I’m still learning about it as I transition from an analog watch for years —> no watch for years —> smart watch. All info is helpful and appreciated.
Ah! OK…. Then you have a choice!
I suggest you have a chat with a Genius Bar person, or go to your regional apple website and use their online tech support. Conceivably, you could keep your domestic SIM in one unit, and put your Spanish SIM in the other, or you could choose to run your watch without a SIM at all while you are in Spain…
Your Apple tech people will help you to assess *which* route you want to take.
What I think you are going to want to make sure the “genius” know is that you want all the data (location, health, activity) to be shared consistently, and that you are travelling to Spain (or Portugal… ) and anticipate using a Cell provider there for the duration of your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.