• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Picking a route, coastal or central? October 2023

ckelly80

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2023
Hello everyone,

My name is Catarina & I’m looking to cycle (solo on self-guided tour) starting the first week of October for about a month give or take. I keep going back and forth on which route to take this time of year. I’m looking to start in the Lisbon area and continue north to Santiago, then make my way by bike down back to Porto, where my trip will end. My three route options I was thinking of are…
1. To take the coast starting near Lisbon all the way to Porto, taking the coastal route north from there & taking the Spiritual Route to Santiago, then taking the central route (in reverse) from Santiago back to Porto.

2. Staring my trip in Lisbon, taking the Central Portuguese route, through Coimbra, Porto etc. & after Porto continue on the central route to end in Santiago. From there taking the Spiritual Variant to the South (in reverse) taking the coastal route and ending in Porto.

3. Same as 2 but instead of continuing on the central out of Porto, switch to the coastal route heading north, then take the spiritual variant to Santiago, then do the central (in reverse) down to Porto & ending there.

I guess the third is a mixture of 1 & 2.

I’m wondering if I should avoid going South to North on the coastal route this time of year? I was told the winds run south and I’m worried I will be heading into the wind my entire time. Would I avoid this if I did the Central Route? Or did Central partially?

My self- guided tour would be with Portugal Nature Trails, does anyone have personal experience with them?

This will be my first Camino! I’m so looking forward to this experience!

Thank you in advance for your help!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello everyone,

My name is Catarina & I’m looking to cycle (solo on self-guided tour) starting the first week of October for about a month give or take.

Thank you in advance for your help!
If you are finishing in Porto, My vote would be to take the coastal route back, since it is relatively flat and easy to follow in reverse. Your start options may be limited by the distance you can cycle in a a relatively short daylight period and you are limiting yourself to a month time span!
In October once you cross the border into Spain, you will be on European central time with daylight saving for part of the month. This means that Sunrise will be between 08:30 to 09:00 until the end of the month when the clock falls back. I would not advise cycling unless you have full light. You will only have 10 hours daylight approximately to complete your stages in.

I'm also interested in this topic as I am starting my camino on a bike on the 17th of this month and starting from Porto to Santiago via the coastal route.
1) Will I be heading into the wind the whole time?
2) I heard it will rain quite a bit during these days, will the roads be muddy and slippery so that it's not bikeable? I'm bringing about three panniers with me.
3) is the central route better in these conditions?

Thanks for your input

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm also interested in this topic as I am starting my camino on a bike on the 17th of this month and starting from Porto to Santiago via the coastal route.
1) Will I be heading into the wind the whole time?
2) I heard it will rain quite a bit during these days, will the roads be muddy and slippery so that it's not bikeable? I'm bringing about three panniers with me.
3) is the central route better in these conditions?

Thanks for your input
update: I was able to do the coastal route. It was as expected wet and slippery. Occasional strong winds were present too but overall it was challenging and I could call it my Camino. Expect the unexpected is all I can suggest! Buen Camino all

update: I was able to do the coastal route. It was as expected wet and slippery. Occasional strong winds were present too but overall it was challenging and I could call it my Camino. Expect the unexpected is all I can suggest! Buen Camino all
Where did you find a map of the coastal route from Porto?

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, We are a bit concerned about being able to get accomodation as we are cycling the CDN this May/June. I read that pilgrims on foot get priority up to 8pm. We are aiming to arrive each day...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...
Hello! I just finished my first walk on El Camino, from Sarria to Santiago, and had a great time watching all of the bikepackers zoom by on the trail. So much so that I've had a sudden interest...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back