• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Picking the right Backpack

Consigliere

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2013, April 2018, October 2023
After reading a few threads about differing equipment for the Camino, I thought I might drop a few tips about what I think to be the second most important item we all carry, the backpack (right behind a good pair of shoes). I'm by no means an expert, but after 30+ years of backpacking, I thought this may help those looking for a pack that's right for them.

Biggest tip I can give... go into a "professional" hiking/backpack store so staff can help you with picking the pack that is "right for you".

1. No backpack is perfect! Don't read a review and think "that's the one!", whats good for one individual may not be for another. It's our individuality that effects how comfortable a pack will be. ie. shape, size, weight, gender, torso height, muscle mass and how much you sweat all effect how comfortable a pack will be.

2. Weight is NOT everything - Weight DISTRIBUTION is. I know this will turn a few heads, yes weight is an important factor, but shedding weight for the sake of appropriate support is not an option I would take.

For example, I have an excellent 35lt backpack (1.35kg), which seems perfect for the Camino. But when I fill it up, the pack size & weight tends to make it a little unstable, and a little tight in areas. I also have a 75lt backpack (2.1kg) which I will never fill, but with the same weight, the 75lt backpack is sooooo much more comfortable, and distributes the wight across my body so much better.

Result... for the extra 700 grams my shoulders are not as sore at the end of the day, and nothing pokes into me, as I have ample room to pack. Also I can stuff and retrieve quickly - great in wet weather. Also - slightly larger packs than you need tend to center the mass more effectively and "balancing the pack well". SO the extra 700 grams here does not feel excessive. I wish I had the 55lt version though... Keep walking....

3. Most good backpacks will have an "ideal weight zone" for the backpack. Do your research before you go into a shop.

Rule of thumb - When trying on a pack, fill it to the weight you'll use. Yes it might feel a little weird at a retail store, but if you go to the right backpack store - they'll think you weird if you don't.

4. Ensure your pack distributes it's weight well. Most good packs should rest the weight around the small of the back and on the bottom. In essence, the arms should simply hold the pack back and ideally only take around 30% of the load.

Pro tip - It's much easier to carry/manipulate weights at the center of mass.

5. Ensure you "sinch" your pack appropriately every day. After the first 5 minutes of walking in the morning, you'll need to check all your straps to ensure the right fit (as well as your layers of clothing). Again, ask a professional, check out you-tube or ask an experienced hiker how to use all the straps effectively. I've seen too many walkers with arm/leg or back problems at the end of the day due to tight or loose straps messing with the pack distribution. So when picking a pack, ensure it's comfortable for you!

Pro tip : Balance is everything. Ask the Massi women next time they carry 20kg balanced on their head.

6. The better packs generally have good padding around the waist. Again this is to aid weight distribution. Every time we step up or down, we shift weight. Having roughly 70% of the weigh rest on or around your "coccyx" feels so much easier when traversing up or down (and easier to maneuver as well!). IMO anyway. Packs like the Osprey Aeather or Gregory Boltaro/Z55 tend to demonstrate this rule of thumb well. Again... does it feel good to you?

If anyone has any more tips they feel might be helpful in picking the right pack please share...

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
After reading a few threads about differing equipment for the Camino, I thought I might drop a few tips about what I think to be the second most important item we all carry, the backpack (right behind a good pair of shoes). I'm by no means an expert, but after 30+ years of backpacking, I thought this may help those looking for a pack that's right for them.

Biggest tip I can give... go into a "professional" hiking/backpack store so staff can help you with picking the pack that is "right for you".

1. No backpack is perfect! Don't read a review and think "that's the one!", whats good for one individual may not be for another. It's our individuality that effects how comfortable a pack will be. ie. shape, size, weight, gender, torso height, muscle mass and how much you sweat all effect how comfortable a pack will be.

2. Weight is NOT everything - Weight DISTRIBUTION is. I know this will turn a few heads, yes weight is an important factor, but shedding weight for the sake of appropriate support is not an option I would take.

For example, I have an excellent 35lt backpack (1.35kg), which seems perfect for the Camino. But when I fill it up, the pack size & weight tends to make it a little unstable, and a little tight in areas. I also have a 75lt backpack (2.1kg) which I will never fill, but with the same weight, the 75lt backpack is sooooo much more comfortable, and distributes the wight across my body so much better.

Result... for the extra 700 grams my shoulders are not as sore at the end of the day, and nothing pokes into me, as I have ample room to pack. Also I can stuff and retrieve quickly - great in wet weather. Also - slightly larger packs than you need tend to center the mass more effectively and "balancing the pack well". SO the extra 700 grams here does not feel excessive. I wish I had the 55lt version though... Keep walking....

3. Most good backpacks will have an "ideal weight zone" for the backpack. Do your research before you go into a shop.

Rule of thumb - When trying on a pack, fill it to the weight you'll use. Yes it might feel a little weird at a retail store, but if you go to the right backpack store - they'll think you weird if you don't.

4. Ensure your pack distributes it's weight well. Most good packs should rest the weight around the small of the back and on the bottom. In essence, the arms should simply hold the pack back and ideally only take around 30% of the load.

5. Ensure you "sinch" your pack appropriately every day. After the first 5 minutes of walking in the morning, you'll need to check all your straps to ensure the right fit (as well as your layers of clothing). Again, ask a professional, check out you-tube or ask an experienced hiker how to use all the straps effectively. I've seen too many walkers with arm/leg or back problems at the end of the day due to tight or loose straps messing with the pack distribution. So when picking a pack, ensure it's comfortable for you!

Pro tip : Balance is everything. Ask the Massi women next time they carry 20kg balanced on their head.

6. The better packs generally have good padding around the waist. Again this is to aid weight distribution. Every time we step up or down, we shift weight. Having roughly 70% of the weigh rest on or around your "coccyx" feels so much easier when traversing up or down (and easier to maneuver as well!). IMO anyway. Packs like the Osprey Aeather or Gregory Boltaro/Z55 tend to demonstrate this rule of thumb well. Again... does it feel good to you?

If anyone has any more tips they feel might be helpful in picking the right pack please share...

All good sense to me, having just completed the CF with a 65l backpack - not filled to full capacity and a max of around 11 kg. Felt best when the waist belt was tightened and the shoulder straps loosened to allow the pack weigh to be taken on the hips. Every now and then, just for a change, I would tighten up the shoulder straps to put shift some weight on to the shoulders.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Let me point out that younger, stronger, fitter pilgrims (especially men) have a higher tolerance for heavier packs. Personally I can feel the difference a quarter-pound (4 oz, or about 100g) makes at the end of a long day, so I do indeed pay close attention to pack weight.

As an aside: the Osprey line is getting an overhaul in 2018, (https://www.snewsnet.com/press-rele...rultralight-levity-and-lumina-for-spring-2018) where they will be using the Cuben/Dyneema composite fabric. However, despite the fact that this fabric is lighter weight than the current model, the overall Exos pack weight increases (https://outdoorindustry.org/press-r...ght-performance-without-compromising-comfort/) . So if you are in the market soon, you may want to go ahead and consider the current models while they are still available.

Last edited:
All good points, especially getting good help in fitting. If you do this, buy from that store! Don’t have them do all the work the go shop online. After trying several packs, I settled on the Osprey Atmos AG 50L. It fit very well, the back was ventilated, I liked the seperate bottom compartment and while I did not need the extra room, it did come in handy when I helped others with their load because of illness and injury. The pack comes with many adjustment points and a removable top pouch. I’m a 61 year old male, 5’11” and generally fit. This pack worked well for me. Good luck, Buen Camino!

Generally these are excellent points. I do have a couple of things to keep in mind.

1. While a store that specializes in backpacking can be very proficient at recommendations and sizing of backpacks, it is possible that the focus will be on the limited inventory the store carries. I have seen this first hand, and have had to help friends and aquaintances reevaluate packs which were sold as "highly recommended", but in reality were awful. If a recommendation is made, but it feels "off", keep looking.

It can take time, especially if a newbie to wearing a pack on a regular basis, to determine what is working and what is not. When trying out a backpack, plan to spend a good deal of time wearing it in the store. Load the pack with the maximum weight you will carry (a good store will have bags of sand or gravel in different weights to accomodate this), and walk around the store for at least twenty minutes. Walk up stairs and down, walk fast and slow, take the pack off and on, etc.

2. It is no longer a choice between lightweight and comfortable carry. There are dozens of makers of high quality packs which are not marketed through stores like REI. ULA, Gossamer Gear, and Zpacks are a few examples of "cottage industry" manufacturers who have revolutionized the weight to performance to comfort ratios in modern backpacks. I would be happy to communicate through private messaging with anyone who has questions on this or other backpack fitting issues.

Among those things which are an insidiously strength and comfort sucking leech to a backpacker, trekker, or other long distance walker, is an ill-fitting and over-heavy backpack. A backpack, when fit and sized properly, and with the proper understanding and practice of how to wear the darned thing, can almost be ignored while walking with it on.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
An important thing to consider if you are making a final choice is to get the smaller sized pack. It might not seem that way in the store but you will thank me after several days on the trail.

I'm with you!
#1 Shoes - if they don't feel perfect in the shop, don't get those...keep trying more on even if the shop assistant thinks you're a pain! Not a believer of 'wearing them in'
#2 Backpack - right size and instruction on how to adjust each day. I'm 60Kg and carried 10Kg for 800Km without a backache. In fact I didn't really feel it at all. However I did have a waist pack which was a disaster and have invested in a ZPack Multi-Pack -4 in 1 to use as a chest pack for next year
Hope this helps someone.
Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am probably one of the exceptions but I walk with a frameless pack. I’ve done two CFs from SJPdP with my pack and would use it again. It weighs less than 500g and I keep the total weight below 5 kg. It does make my back sweat on hot days but my sister who walked with an Osprey said her pack did exactly the same. Most days I never felt the pack on my back. It was only on hot or very hard days that my shoulders felt like I was carrying a weight. The secret is to pack it properly.
We are all different and that is one of the joys of the camino.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.