• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Under-Publicized Backpack Options?

alongran

Time of past OR future Camino
Ingles May 2024
In preparation for starting a multi year process of discovering the Camino, starting with doing the Ingles in May, I trawled the Web to find and compare all the backpacks from not only US but European brands within a 30-45L capacity range.

ETA: It's easy to see why some of the most commonly mentioned packs are so frequently used -- namely, the Osprey Kestrel / Kyte, Exos / Eja and Talon / Tempest series, the Gregory Zulu / Jade series, the Deuter Trail and Futura series, and the REI Trail 40. The things that are important to me are: reasonable weight, a stash space for wet clothing / rainwear, appropriate torso length and an attached rain cover, and these packs definitely hit the above criteria.

However, there are also quite a few models that theoretically have good specs when assessed on the same criteria, but for which there don't seem to be much reviews at all. Wonder if anyone has used any of these, or perhaps they are less well known due to less exposure on Amazon / REI / blogger reviews?

Ultra-Budget (USD 100 or below):
Mid-range (USD / EUR 150 - 200):

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
One issue is that you may buy a pack that does not fit you well just going by reviews. I am a lucky person who can order an off-brand backpack and it fits me fine. My husband however is extremely picky and went through several backpacks on our last go round. We bought and returned them and we've done the same thing finding just the right shoes, socks, etc.

I have a fox"something" pack( can't even remember the brand) and he has a Six Moon Designs custom pack. A large difference in price, but he's happy and I can't stand a complainer walking with me on the Camino.

He does really like the 6 Moon Designs pack. It is very light and waterproof. You order the components separately (pack, belt or vest, etc). They had me take a picture of him wearing the pack loaded and then gave advice on how to adjust it since he did not buy it in a traditional store.

One issue is that you may buy a pack that does not fit you well just going by reviews.
I agree completely. Whilst reviews may seem like a good starting point I would reverse your process. Go try on backpacks until you find two or three that are comfortable, and then look at the reviews. The Pack I use, a Deuter Futura 32l (mid range ) has the features you're looking for and yet isn't even on your list. Deuter are a very good German brand. I saw quite a number of Deuter packs on Camino, and a quick check of the reviews for mine shows pretty good results.
But that would be worthless if it didn't fit me properly !

Good luck

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I agree -- I much prefer to be able to try on a pack for fit before purchasing. I have used a Montbell Versalite 40 on the Camino. It's 10 years old but I literally just used it this weekend and despite being a very light pack and thoroughly used, it's in good shape. I'm intrigued by their Galena 30, but won't get to try it on unless I happen to pass through Boulder, CO before my next Camino (that's their only storefront in the US).

I clicked non the link to the Patagonia pack just out of curiosity and was surprised. It actually looks like a reasonable (to me pack). Hip pockets and side pockets for water bottles, not a lot of excess straps. Hmm.

Looks like I wasn't clear enough on my original post. I'm not trying to make recommendations to others (or seek recommendations for myself per se) but rather to try to ferret out which options might go beyond the "obvious" and might work for some people.

I've already dialed in my semi-temporary setup for my upcoming first Camino, but what works for me won't be what works for most other people because I'm a 5'1" Asian female with an Asian build. My pack is a no-name Chinese brand, which is rated as 45+5L but seems to me to be more of a 40+8L in practice. It fit my minimum criteria -- 15-16" torso length, internal frame, sleeping bag compartment of the right dimensions for the bag I already own, and 35-45L total capacity. I ordered it online but immediately loaded it up with my indicative gear (about 5 kg total without water) and put it through its paces on my training walks (running up 12-20 km a weekend currently. It feels great, and I am now more convinced of my choice after trying on the Quechua MH500 30L and 40L size S packs as well as their 28L kids pack at Decathlon. The torso length of the size S is good for me, but the shoulder straps are too wide and gap out - but probably it would mean that what fits me would feel uncomfortably constrictive for someone with a bigger build.

After stress-testing what I have, I went back to my original packs list to create a mental shortlist of upgrade / fallback options. I know that going with a budget backpack means a possible tradeoff in durability -- I have no doubts my pack will last for the 116km from Ferrol to Santiago and probably follow me along if / when I plan a longer next Camino, but I want to have a focused list of possibilities so that if it were to break in the field and I need to buy something locally, I already know the specs and can zoom in on the ones I want to try. Especially more so now that I know the Quechua MH500, which was my planned fallback, isn't working for me.

Thus, I wanted to put out a "widest possible list" of suitable backpacks to bring to light some of the non-standard choices that I uncovered in this process, in case it helps others too. For myself, I am planning to try out the REI Tarn and MEC Discovery youth packs, as well as the various Gregory and Osprey options, the Patagonia Altvia, and the Deuter Futura / Trail series locally (I live and work in the US and spend 1-2 months per year with family in Singapore), to build up my own contingency list.

I like the look of the Patagonia Altvia pack. If I were in the market for a new backpack I would definitely consider that one.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I’m a gearaholic and have at least 9 backpacks, several you mentioned :REI Trail 40, Gregory Zulu and Jade (for my daughter), Osprey Exos and Talon, and others.
I think it might have been Dave Bugg that first brought to my attention the cottage industry makers like Gossamer Gear and others. I have both the Gossamer Gear Kumo 36 and the Durston Kakwa 40, and I am trying both out for my walk this spring. Both packs are very light and comfortable, lighter than any of the big names above, they are innovative in their features, and the more I walk in Spain, the more appreciate the thought the small makers put into their packs.
Packs like these cost a little more unless you buy from EBay for example, but I might have not bought so many packs if I had researched a little more, and then paid a little more for a nicer pack. (Or maybe not, as once a gearhead 😉)

I have my trusted Osprey Talon but I was very impressed with the Decathlon MH500 30 L that you mention in your post.
On our most recent Camino a friend joined me and she had bought the Decathlon one.
Especially the side zip for the main bag department was so handy to organise her stuff compared to my Osprey.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you are looking for a just in case you need a replacement on the trail, I walked my caminos with a Talon 33 and on the Le Puy route more recently with the Tempest 40. My size and build are similar to yours, and I have found that this Osprey series, of all the popular brands, worked best for me. There are features I wish they had, but since weight of the pack itself was a concern, I chose these.

In preparation for starting a multi year process of discovering the Camino, starting with doing the Ingles in May, I trawled the Web to find and compare all the backpacks from not only US but European brands within a 30-45L capacity range.

ETA: It's easy to see why some of the most commonly mentioned packs are so frequently used -- namely, the Osprey Kestrel / Kyte, Exos / Eja and Talon / Tempest series, the Gregory Zulu / Jade series, the Deuter Trail and Futura series, and the REI Trail 40. The things that are important to me are: reasonable weight, a stash space for wet clothing / rainwear, appropriate torso length and an attached rain cover, and these packs definitely hit the above criteria.

However, there are also quite a few models that theoretically have good specs when assessed on the same criteria, but for which there don't seem to be much reviews at all. Wonder if anyone has used any of these, or perhaps they are less well known due to less exposure on Amazon / REI / blogger reviews?

I have a Lowe Alpine 24 and a bum bag of 4l and have found that plenty big enough but I do travel very light!

I have a Lowe Alpen 24l pack and a

I have a Lowe Alpine 24 and a bum bag of 4l and have found that plenty big enough but I do travel very light!

I have a Lowe Alpen 24l pack and a
Sorry my messages got messed up! I also have a large 4l/fjallraven bum bag which I think will be the best day bag I’ve ever had

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I also highly recommend looking at smaller cottage industry gear companies. I have four Gossamer Gear packs (different sizes for different type trips) and love all of them. I used one of them on the Frances and it was perfect (for me). The cottage industry companies are all great at working with you on getting you the best fit and best pack for whatever adventure you are embarking on. Cannot encourage everyone enough to use small/local companies for their gear.

How about double pack:
Chest Pack for all-around needs
and small Back Pack or Burricot.

This is what I have used (but not that colour) on 5 long pilgrimages with great success.

It has an enormous number of adjustments including e.g. frame length, pack vertical position along the frame, optional lateral offset of individual or both shoulder straps, etc. etc. The combination of the external frame and the trampoline band across the back hold the pack away from my back, thus enabling ventilation. The manufacturer sells replacement parts.

It is of large capacity but there is no need to fill it up; I certainly do not.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is what I have used (but not that colour) on 5 long pilgrimages with great success.

It has an enormous number of adjustments including e.g. frame length, pack vertical position along the frame, optional lateral offset of individual or both shoulder straps, etc. etc. The combination of the external frame and the trampoline band across the back hold the pack away from my back, thus enabling ventilation. The manufacturer sells replacement parts.

I love an external frame pack, but harder to find now and less likely I can get it on as a carryon I think. What is your experience with that.

I’m a gearaholic and have at least 9 backpacks, several you mentioned :REI Trail 40, Gregory Zulu and Jade (for my daughter), Osprey Exos and Talon, and others.
I think it might have been Dave Bugg that first brought to my attention the cottage industry makers like Gossamer Gear and others. I have both the Gossamer Gear Kumo 36 and the Durston Kakwa 40, and I am trying both out for my walk this spring. Both packs are very light and comfortable, lighter than any of the big names above, they are innovative in their features, and the more I walk in Spain, the more appreciate the thought the small makers put into their packs.
Packs like these cost a little more unless you buy from EBay for example, but I might have not bought so many packs if I had researched a little more, and then paid a little more for a nicer pack. (Or maybe not, as once a gearhead 😉)
How well does the Durston Kakwa transfer load to the hips And away from the shoulders? My current Aarn pack has such a good design that there is never any weight on the shoulders. But I’m interested in the Kakwa.

I love an external frame pack, but harder to find now and less likely I can get it on as a carryon I think. What is your experience with that.
I have never attempted to carry this into the passenger compartment of an aircraft. It is probably too big for carry-on. The pack dimensions are probably available on the Kelty website.

This is my routine: I collapse my hiking poles and tie them head-to-tail to each other such that the pointy tips are more-or-less covered by the handles, then tie the pair of poles to the shoulder-strap side of the pack, then ensure all pack straps and buckles (there are a lot of them) are tightened and tucked in, then have the entire assembly stretch-wrapped at the airport. The stretch-wrap encloses all snaggy bits very effectively and compresses everything into a tight bundle. Over 6 airline flights I have not had any pack damage. Also, the stretch-wrap keeps the pack clean and helps to protect it from pick-pocket razor blade artists whilst en-route on congested public transit from the arrival airport to my hotel.

Because the pack and poles weigh much less than a normal airline suitcase, the stretch-wrapping of the pack usually costs me about 1/2 to 2/3 of the cost of stretch-wrapping a regular suitcase, but that varies depending upon the airport and the service provider.

At the destination airport, I usually find my wrapped pack at the special-luggage area.

At my arrival-city hotel, I place the stretch wrap in the plastics-recycle bin.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
How well does the Durston Kakwa transfer load to the hips And away from the shoulders? My current Aarn pack has such a good design that there is never any weight on the shoulders. But I’m interested in the Kakwa.
It has a really good hipbelt and a low weight, which is why I like it.
The hip belt is the most important thing to me in a bag, that’s why I’ve gone through so many other backpacks.

My Aldi back pack has served me well for two caminos and I will probably use it again on my next. It cost me AUD$30.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Aarn backpacks are brilliant for that ... rebalancing the load away from the shoulders!

Wow, the Durston Kakwa does look good for an ultralight pack. Thanks for sharing that!

I'd also love to hear more about your Aarn packs, @BlackRocker57 and @Joynz, and any other Aarn users out there. Which model do you use? What do you think of it?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wow, the Durston Kakwa does look good for an ultralight pack. Thanks for sharing that!

I'd also love to hear more about your Aarn packs, @BlackRocker57 and @Joynz, and any other Aarn users out there. Which model do you use? What do you think of it?
The model of my Aarn backpack is «Natural Exhilaration» size small [short backlength] ... is the perfect shape and size for a female of short stature ... has been redesigned since I bought mine 6 or 7 years ago but still fundamentally the same ... you can check it out here :
<https://www.aarnpacks.com/en-au/products/natural-exhilaration-short-long-backlengths>

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Montane Trailblazer series is nice with lots of practical storage. The 30L is great for caminos and weighs about 820 grams. Since this line has been updated recently, older ones are still around at great prices. They have adjustable back lengths and a pretty wide range of volumes. They can be a little warm as they sit directly on the back. I cannot use packs with trampoline backs and do caminos and most hiking in shoulder seasons so it’s not a issue for me

The Montane Trailblazer series is nice with lots of practical storage. The 30L is great for caminos and weighs about 820 grams. Since this line has been updated recently, older ones are still around at great prices. They have adjustable back lengths and a pretty wide range of volumes. They can be a little warm as they sit directly on the back. I cannot use packs with trampoline backs and do caminos and most hiking in shoulder seasons so it’s not a issue for me
I've seen these online and wondered whether it was worth a try. My concern would be whether it the frame is supportive enough. Interested to hear your thoughts, @Puck1.

I've seen these online and wondered whether it was worth a try. My concern would be whether it the frame is supportive enough. Interested to hear your thoughts, @Puck1.
They’re sort of a hybrid between ultralight and traditional packs. I have upper back and neck issues so need supportive hip belts and can’t use ultralight packs. It’s not quite as comfortable as my osprey talon, but I really like it for when I want my pack tight to my back on more difficult walks. It’s very adjustable and is super easy to organize. I’m using it this spring on the Salvador and Primitivo. I’m in the US, and, if I’m using an online store exclusively, I’ll take a pack on 8-10 mile hike, tucking the tags in, and see how my neck and shoulders feel the next day. For me, that’s the best way to decide on packs and shoes. It’s a very close second to my osprey, and I would definitely buy another.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
They’re sort of a hybrid between ultralight and traditional packs. I have upper back and neck issues so need supportive hip belts and can’t use ultralight packs.

@Puck1, Thank you so much for the helpful reply. I'm in the same situation as you, so I have been looking for that elusive blend of light yet supportive pack. 🙂 I think I will give the Trailblazer a try. 🙏

@Puck1, Thank you so much for the helpful reply. I'm in the same situation as you, so I have been looking for that elusive blend of light yet supportive pack. 🙂 I think I will give the Trailblazer a try. 🙏
I hope it works for you! I should say that I try to be careful with my base weight and it’s usually in the 9-11 pound range. Obviously not super light but low end of normal for the Camino? I also don’t carry water on my back since it’s so heavy. My experience with any pack probably doesn’t exceed 12-13 pounds with food 😁, except for infrequent short camping.

This brings back so many memories 😊

Mine lasted many miles and trips, until I lent it to a friend …who totalled it 🥺

This brings back so many memories 😊

Mine lasted many miles and trips, until I lent it to a friend …who totalled it 🥺
Arrgh! I offer my sincere condolences on the loss of your pack. The loss of your fiend, not so much.

If you are into pockets/compartments, have a look at this one:
Lowe alpine, recommendation from a user. My first one, 25 litre, excellent. My walkng companion had one that was basically a no name, and slightly larger. We managed, between us. My second, a slightly larger, not as cute, but roomier, also good. The 25 litre had a small pocket that zipped and separated the two sections of the bag, and great for organising, so if that is your skill, you can open just the section you want.
I now just have the slightly larger one. I do not need to spend more money on another one, no matter how smart. 😇

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was happy with my Lowe Alpine Camino Air, but I walked with a group lately, where I came across the brand Highlander. Did look great and as the hikers both mentioned: very stable and durable.

Looks like I wasn't clear enough on my original post. I'm not trying to make recommendations to others (or seek recommendations for myself per se) but rather to try to ferret out which options might go beyond the "obvious" and might work for some people.

I've already dialed in my semi-temporary setup for my upcoming first Camino, but what works for me won't be what works for most other people because I'm a 5'1" Asian female with an Asian build. My pack is a no-name Chinese brand, which is rated as 45+5L but seems to me to be more of a 40+8L in practice. It fit my minimum criteria -- 15-16" torso length, internal frame, sleeping bag compartment of the right dimensions for the bag I already own, and 35-45L total capacity. I ordered it online but immediately loaded it up with my indicative gear (about 5 kg total without water) and put it through its paces on my training walks (running up 12-20 km a weekend currently. It feels great, and I am now more convinced of my choice after trying on the Quechua MH500 30L and 40L size S packs as well as their 28L kids pack at Decathlon. The torso length of the size S is good for me, but the shoulder straps are too wide and gap out - but probably it would mean that what fits me would feel uncomfortably constrictive for someone with a bigger build.

After stress-testing what I have, I went back to my original packs list to create a mental shortlist of upgrade / fallback options. I know that going with a budget backpack means a possible tradeoff in durability -- I have no doubts my pack will last for the 116km from Ferrol to Santiago and probably follow me along if / when I plan a longer next Camino, but I want to have a focused list of possibilities so that if it were to break in the field and I need to buy something locally, I already know the specs and can zoom in on the ones I want to try. Especially more so now that I know the Quechua MH500, which was my planned fallback, isn't working for me.

Thus, I wanted to put out a "widest possible list" of suitable backpacks to bring to light some of the non-standard choices that I uncovered in this process, in case it helps others too. For myself, I am planning to try out the REI Tarn and MEC Discovery youth packs, as well as the various Gregory and Osprey options, the Patagonia Altvia, and the Deuter Futura / Trail series locally (I live and work in the US and spend 1-2 months per year with family in Singapore), to build up my own contingency list.
Have you got a picture of that backpack? I am smaller than you and yes, I was recommended a smaller backpack up to a maximum of 55L in a traditional camping store.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I want to go on the Camino but health is holding me back, momentarily. I also decided that I may do the Camino in multiple little parts or over months. I only can afford cheap gear/new brands without the high price and no-name backpack.

I think that one source of confusion with backpack volume comes from a false notion that volume should correspond 1:1 with one's kit size, weight, and volume.

That is straightforwardly untrue, and instead one should get a pack that's larger than one's needs.

A 50L pack used to carry 35L of kit will be a better bet than a 35L pack stuffed to the seams with no capacity for any extras along the Way.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.