• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim House tribute to Denise

SCT

Time of past OR future Camino
2014, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2023
Today I stopped by the Pilgrim House in Santiago (19 Rua Nova) and dropped off the shell I had carried in memory of Denise. They have a lovely tribute to her there with a basket for shells and also many of the shells displayed. You can light a candle there as well. I was very touched.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you are walking and carrying a shell, REMEMBER, the memorial tree for Denise is located adjacent to the little church / chapel, ON THE LEFT SIDE of the road, just next to the large woodworking factory. This is just before the overpass you walk over a highway on. If you reach the overpass without stopping, you went a little too far.

The memorial tree is NOT actually located at Albergue Ecce Homo, located on Calle Ecce Homo, on the RIGHT side of the road leaving Astorga.

I made this mistake in April. But, I cleared it up once I arrive at the Pilgrim House at Santiago. So, I am sharing the precise location for all, so you are not disappointed.

Of course, you always do have the option of carrying the shell all the way to Santiago, something Denise was, regrettably, not able to do. There, as others have mentioned, you can add the shell to the collection at the small memorial they have there. Periodically, Faith and Nate move the shells out to Astorga to the memorial tree.

I hope this helps.

This weekend I picked up a load of shells left at Pilgrim House in Santiago, and carried them back to Astorga. They are now hung on and around the memorial tree.

If you are on the Road, feel free to take a shell on to Santiago in memory of Denise. If you'd like to leave a shell at the tree, feel free to do so. Just don't hang heavier shells from the still-developing branches!

Forget the "left side/right side" instructions.
As you can see from the photo, this tree is planted directly adjacent to the doors of Ecce Homo chapel. Stand facing the chapel. Turn around. The tree is in the park just over the road.

Once all the shells are gone, there is nothing to distinguish this tree from the others in the park. This is a temporary memorial. It's how Denise's family wants it. Memorials, too, have a useful life-span. When its memorial function is finished, the tree will live on, providing shade and beauty to everyone who decides to notice it.

denisetree2016.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.