• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim in a little trouble looking for help

Moondance

Time of past OR future Camino
I am a pilgrim who made a mistake and I feel I need to be completely honest here . I have wanted to walk this for a very long time . I am also an alcoholic . When I got to Spain , I celebrated in the wrong way . Now , I find myself in Seville , have not had a drink in a week and am looking for redemption . I was thinking of taking train or bus to Santiago and then going to Sarria and walking back . At least , I can try and sAlvarez something .
problem is , I cannot make heads or tails of bus train schedules from Seville to Santiago . I need help. Please . Thank you . Moondance

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am a pilgrim who made a mistake and I feel I need to be completely honest here . I have wanted to walk this for a very long time . I am also an alcoholic . When I got to Spain , I celebrated in the wrong way . Now , I find myself in Seville , have not had a drink in a week and am looking for redemption . I was thinking of taking train or bus to Santiago and then going to Sarria and walking back . At least , I can try and sAlvarez something .
problem is , I cannot make heads or tails of bus train schedules from Seville to Santiago . I need help. Please . Thank you . Moondance
First of all you can be proud off yourself, I think you know why. 🙏🏻
You can have a look at www.Rome2rio.com for travel choises to Santiago de Compostela.
Wish you all the best 🙏🏻

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There but for the Grace of God and the firm hand of Mrs Henrythedog go I. I suspect the train will route through Madrid and involve a change and, unless you’re not in a rush and can wait a day, an overnight in Madrid.

Go to Sevilla Santa Justa station and go to the customer desk. They’ll be fine in English.

Good luck

It seems the trains are all booked up till 11th. I had a look and there is a train leaves at approx. 3:45pm and arrives in Santiago at approx. 10:45pm. Might be worth heading over to the station today to try and book. If you wait it will probably book up.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It seems the trains are all booked up till 11th. I had a look and there is a train leaves at approx. 3:45pm and arrives in Santiago at approx. 10:45pm. Might be worth heading over to the station today to try and book. If you wait it will probably book up.
Have you tried the local tourist office, they usually speak English and are very helpful. I think your plan is a good one as there’s more infrastructure from Sarria to Santiago. It depends if you like meeting people or not. Via de la plata is hard if you’ve not walked any Camino’s before. It’s isolated and you have to carry lots of food and water. On the other hand there’s little temptation on the Via de la Plata as there are very few bars. You just have to plan in advance to make sure you don’t run out of food & water. I’d recommend some electrolyte tablets and make sure you wear a hat that also shades your ears. Coca-Cola is also good for overheating. Let us know how you get on. Buen Camino!

It's a new day @Moondance and no better place to start than where you are. I think we're all behind you.

Oddly, your post was the first I've read this morning, as I sit in a hotel room in Barcelona far from home, crying my eyes out with an anxiety attack. Knowing someone nearby is struggling too lessend the feeling of being alone. Thank you for sharing. You are so worthy of your new first step! Buen Camino

It's a new day @Moondance and no better place to start than where you are. I think we're all behind you.

Oddly, your post was the first I've read this morning, as I sit in a hotel room in Barcelona far from home, crying my eyes out with an anxiety attack. Knowing someone nearby is struggling too lessend the feeling of being alone. Thank you for sharing. You are so worthy of your new first step! Buen Camino
Prayers for you. You will make it! Sorry about the mis-reply

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
There are plenty of trains and tickets available Seville to Madrid - Atocha today, tomorrow and every day hence. There are also plenty of trains and plenty of tickets from Madrid Chamartin to Sarria, direct, today, tomorrow and everyday hence. You have to ask RENFE the right question. They have based their entire customer interface on the Oracle at Delphi.

If @Moondance gets themselves to Seville Santa Justa this afternoon they can have a quiet evening in Madrid (pace @henrythedog) and be in Sarria by lunch-time tomorrow.

Lot's of good reply's and suggestions above. Wishing you a Buen Camino.

There are plenty of trains and tickets available Seville to Madrid - Atocha today, tomorrow and every day hence. There are also plenty of trains and plenty of tickets from Madrid Chamartin to Sarria, direct, today, tomorrow and everyday hence. You have to ask RENFE the right question. They have based their entire customer interface on the Oracle at Delphi.

If @Moondance gets themselves to Seville Santa Justa this afternoon they can have a quiet evening in Madrid (pace @henrythedog) and be in Sarria by lunch-time tomorrow.
Sorry for misinformation. I just thought if I tried to book a through ticket it would find the available trains.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
RENFE find the concept of through-ticketing difficult to comprehend. They even find the concept of route planning a challenge.

I was once told that a rail journey from Malaga to Jimena de la Frontera was impossible and no tickets were available. When I pointed out that I simply needed to change trains at Bobadilla I was told to go to Bobadilla!

There is this https://www.renfe.com/content/dam/renfe/es/Viajeros/Secciones/pdf/mapa_general_ServiocioPublico.pdf rather useful map on RENFE's web-site but most staff do not seem to be aware of its existence.

Try the Rome2rio website for travel options.

Check out the Tarjeta Dorada (Gold card) available from Renfe. It provides a discount of 25 - 40% & is available at all railway stations for €6 for those who are fortunate enough to have reached the age of 60.

For moral support, check our http://aamadrid.com

Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Aloha, What a nice reply! which Camino are you doing and is this your first? You’ve already taken the first step. Put the Shell on your backpack and whichever path you’ve chosen, once you start following the signs, you will be meeting other pilgrims before you know it. I am doing the Via de la Plata soon and have no idea what to expect but that’s what excites/scares me. It’s nice though to get out of our comfort zone from time to time. If you go to the Cathedral when you get to your starting place, you will probably meet other pilgrims getting their Camino passports or their first stamp. :)

Aloha, What a nice reply! which Camino are you doing and is this your first? You’ve already taken the first step. Put the Shell on your backpack and whichever path you’ve chosen, once you start following the signs, you will be meeting other pilgrims before you know it. I am doing the Via de la Plata soon and have no idea what to expect but that’s what excites/scares me. It’s nice though to get out of our comfort zone from time to time. If you go to the Cathedral when you get to your starting place, you will probably meet other pilgrims getting their Camino passports or their first stamp. :)
Good luck @Moondance ..lots of good advice here. @Juno When are you starting the vdlp? I'm in Seville now and starting Friday.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Good luck @Moondance ..lots of good advice here. @Juno When are you starting the vdlp? I'm in Seville now and starting Friday.
Not till the 20th I’m afraid but I think there will be more pilgrims this year due to the Jacobean holy year being extended to 2022 as well as pandemic barriers being removed from travel. I can’t wait to visit Seville. Enjoy your journey

Not till the 20th I’m afraid but I think there will be more pilgrims this year due to the Jacobean holy year being extended to 2022 as well as pandemic barriers being removed from travel. I can’t wait to visit Seville. Enjoy your journey
Thanks... yes Seville is wonderful! You'll like it. Make sure to spend a few days here to explore. Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
RENFE find the concept of through-ticketing difficult to comprehend. They even find the concept of route planning a challenge.

I was once told that a rail journey from Malaga to Jimena de la Frontera was impossible and no tickets were available. When I pointed out that I simply needed to change trains at Bobadilla I was told to go to Bobadilla!

There is this https://www.renfe.com/content/dam/renfe/es/Viajeros/Secciones/pdf/mapa_general_ServiocioPublico.pdf rather useful map on RENFE's web-site but most staff do not seem to be aware of its existence.
What stunning views on that journey!

You have more strength and courage than you realize. Wishing you a buen camino on whatever path you find yourself on!
Lynn

I remember reading your post recently where you were nervous. We all get some anxiety no matter how many times we walk the camino. You’re a long way from home, but you’ll find your peace. As an old American television “friend” once said: “look for the helpers.” There are people out there who will help you with your anxiety. Been there!💜

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Take a breath, and break, first and check https://www.aaspain.org/ and find somebody to support you and THEN you can decide if/when/how you will/can follow your Camino.
Thanks for that link. I have added it to the first post in a relevant thread that is pinned to the top of the Health & Medical Topics section of the forum. It will be easier to find for future use.

So , should I take train from Seville to Madrid then Madrid to Sarria ?
Just go to Seville Santa Justa and tell them I’m sixty years old , got detoured , and want to get to Sarria ?
I am asking for advice and by the way , I am kind of wiping some sober tears from eyes right now , this is this first Internet forum I have ever participated in and just thank you so much . Mark

@Moondance,
I often use GoogleMaps to help me navigate in Spain and here is a link that shows Seville to Sarria as an example. Tells you how many stops on the train, etc. It is one example of the route you could take. I know a lot of people here use Rome2Rio, however, I find that sometimes I can get more details from GoogleMaps. Best of Luck.

So , should I take train from Seville to Madrid then Madrid to Sarria ?
Just go to Seville Santa Justa and tell them I’m sixty years old , got detoured , and want to get to Sarria ?
I am asking for advice and by the way , I am kind of wiping some sober tears from eyes right now , this is this first Internet forum I have ever participated in and just thank you so much . Mark
That’s more or less all you need to do amigo. But don’t ask about Sarria in Santa Justa. Tell them you require a “Tarjeta Dorada” and a ticket to Madrid. The train will take you to Madrid’s Atocha rail station. Then make your way to Madrid’s Chamartin rail station (easy station to station trip on the local, Cercanias trains) and show them your Tarjeta Dorada and get a ticket to Sarria.
Buen Camino

I’ve sent you a private message that’ll show as a red dot on the top of your screen where the envelope is. I’m in Madrid tomorrow (Thursday the 7th) if you’re arriving or passing through. If I can help I will. I’ll be within half an hour of Atocha most of the day.

Don’t ‘like’ this folks, it’s not a competition.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What is a Tarjeta Dorada ? In Santa Justa station , do I mention that I am sixty ?
Any idea how many euros this costs ?
I know , one day at a time . It would be nice to be walking towards Santiago from Sarria on Good Friday .
thank you

What is a Tarjeta Dorada ? In Santa Justa station , do I mention that I am sixty ?
Any idea how many euros this costs ?
I know , one day at a time . It would be nice to be walking towards Santiago from Sarria on Good Friday .
thank you

A Tarjeta Dorada is discount card which saves you 40% on train fares in Spain. It costs €6. Ask at the info desk. You’ll have to prove you’re over 60 which your passport will do.

Get the card first then buy your train ticket. It’ll pay for itself on your Seville to Madrid leg, and obviously you use it every time you buy another ticket.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Well that’s another of God’s children a bit further towards Santiago than he was an hour ago. Last seen ‘en tren’ to Chamartin when I hopped out at Sol.

Sending luggage to Casa Ivar instructions here:

Recent thread on obtaining a credencial in Sarria here: Two stamps every day.

Decent outdoor shops in Sarria for anything you might not have.

With Easter coming up soon I do advise considering your accommodation a day or two ahead. Including in Santiago if you’re arriving during Easter itself; which gets progressively busier to and including Easter Monday.

Do keep us informed of your progress please? It’s a supportive group on here.

Buen Camino.

(For those standing back aghast; don’t worry, my original plans for the evening will resume shortly. I’ve got a bad reputation to uphold)

Last edited:

@Tincatinker That's a wonderful train map. Do you, or anyone else, know of anything similar for Portugal? We would love to combine more of the Camino Portugues with train journeys. Maps I find don't seem to show all the lines with all the stops. We took a fabulous train trip along the Douro once. Apologies if off topic.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Tincatinker That's a wonderful train map. Do you, or anyone else, know of anything similar for Portugal? We would love to combine more of the Camino Portugues with train journeys. Maps I find don't seem to show all the lines with all the stops. We took a fabulous train trip along the Douro once. Apologies if off topic.
Zennor,
For Portuguese trains try this web and maps.

Bom caminho.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Made it to Madrid with the help of a black Labrador named Henry . Many many thanks . Found hotel next to Chamartin station . Will get ticket to Sarria . Turn it over . Don’t think , just flow .
Best wishes for better days ahead and finding friends along the way!

Made it to Madrid with the help of a black Labrador named Henry . Many many thanks . Found hotel next to Chamartin station . Will get ticket to Sarria . Turn it over . Don’t think , just flow .
If you are staying at the Chamartin hotel next to the station ask for the menu del dia. It’s usually really good. Glad to know you are on your way, definitely an Angel on your shoulder.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well that’s another of God’s children a bit further towards Santiago than he was an hour ago. Last seen ‘en tren’ to Chamartin when I hopped out at Sol.

Sending luggage to Casa Ivar instructions here:

Recent thread on obtaining a credencial in Sarria here: Two stamps every day.

Decent outdoor shops in Sarria for anything you might not have.

With Easter coming up soon I do advise considering your accommodation a day or two ahead. Including in Santiago if you’re arriving during Easter itself; which gets progressively busier to and including Easter Monday.

Do keep us informed of your progress please? It’s a supportive group on here.

Buen Camino.

(For those standing back aghast; don’t worry, my original plans for the evening will resume shortly. I’ve got a bad reputation to uphold)
Excellent & thank you. I've been there before but hadn't found the overall map https://www.cp.pt/StaticFiles/Passageiros/3_viajar/0_servicos/mapa-servicos.pdf

Now to learn some Portuguese!

Obrigada!
Bless you

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back