• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim numbers for the year - less Spanish pilgrims?

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
Hola

Signs of the Times

I've run an analysis of the statistics on arriving pilgrims for the year so far. Some interesting trends may be emerging.

After August the busiest month the increase in pilgrims from English speaking countries remains significant but not quite as high as last month.

Also it seems that overall pilgrim numbers are increasing at a lower rate than previous years and the number of Spanish pilgrims appears to be decreasing.

Early days to reach meaningful conclusions but the pundits are already speculating this is due to the economic crisis in Spain.

What do you think? See the full analysis here:

http://www.johnniewalker-santiago.blogspot.com

Happy reading!

John

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, John,
Very interresting, especially the part about the decrease in the relative increase of English speaking pilgrims. Maybe a higher percentage of English-speaking walkers try to avoid the crush and the oppressive heat of August. Thanks for compiling all of this information for us.

In the last two years, I've met at least 7 or 8 unemployed Spaniards walking the Camino. They say that since they can live as cheaply (or almost as cheaply) on the Camino as at home, the opportunity to take a big break and try to reassess is a real attraction. This past summer, I met a madrileno who had been an architectural draftsman for more than 25 years till he was summarily booted in April. By the end of his Camino, he had decided that he was going to try to become a goat cheese maker back in his Gredos pueblo. Ojala.

Buen camino, Laurie

Interesting stats Johnnie.
I think most South Africans try to avoid the crowds in August and the majority walk in May/June and September/October.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola Johnnie,
It will be interesting to see if the numbers for pilgrims from the US pick up during the months of September and October. My sister will be an October stat. Thanks for keeping the numbers.
Vincent

Hi John,

Thanks for once again posting these statistic. I love them

Somehow it is 'strange' that all those weeks of walking in sun or rain, meeting with people from all over the world, enjoying meals together, washing and hanging out clothes, shopping for little essentials, unpacking and packing rucksacks, putting sunscreen behind ones knees first thing in the morning, dealing with a blister, being awed by amazing architecture, looking back in early morning to see the sun rise, the feeling of accomplishment or relief when one first sees the spire of the church of the village you plan to stay in that night, all that and so much more to be recorded by being just one more statistic.

It has been such a blessing to have been one of those 'statistics'. Please God I will be again.

Lydia

Some interesting data.
Something your statistics do not pick up on is the amount spent doing a Camino has also dropped. This is totally unscientific!
We purchase some goods from a wholesaler. This wholesaler also supplies bars, restaurants and accommodations businesses along the Camino. All of the bars and restaurants have noticed that pilgrims no longer take a bite to eat or a coffee along the way. It seems that trends have changed and now pilgrims are more likely to purchase water and bread to eat picnic style. Obviously I do not have any data on this, but it is and interesting observation, perhaps this will decline as winter sets in.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, so my plans have slightly changed after completing the Coastal Portuguese and Finisterre/Muxia caminos on June 13. I now have 2 extra days in Santiago and was wondering where I should head...
The Santiago pilgrim office issued 3,171 Compostelas today. The second time so far this year when the total has been over 3,000. The first was on Good Friday when 3,193 Compostelas were handed out.
Hi my name is Bren I have started a daily AA English speaking meeting At 3Rua da Porta da Pena Casa Anglicana 6-7pm daily. Spread the word

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back