• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim-only restaurant near Padron

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I stopped at Meson de Pedra a week or so ago while hiking the Camino Portuguese. It was not a pleasant experience.

The man in charge of the "restaurant" had only some squash soup on offer. He had two Spanish pilgrims seated at a rickety table set up among a dusty, cluttered sort of stone-cutting workshop. THey looked at us with beseeching eyes as the "hospitalero" led us over to stamp our credentials -- which also entailed writing down our ID details in his ledger. A big German shepherd dog on a very short lead growled from under the table.

The hospitalero then quizzed me on the spelling of my name, the proper history of the name of my village (Moratinos) and why I have "a funny accent." He then told me I am a liar for claiming to live in Palencia, because "nobody foreign lives in Palencia." He questioned our pilgrim legitimacy because our stamps were not from pilgrim albergues, and our backpacks were not the right size. He informed us our CSJ Portuguese route guides are "beyond horrible." He didn´t ask us to sit down. He didn´t offer us even a glass of water. But he did ask us for a donation, and a "like" on Facebook.

He shooed us out the gate. We were pleased to see the Spanish couple he´d cornered had managed to slip out while he was lecturing us!

Maybe I caught him on a bad day. Maybe he´s not fond of foreigners (we were two Americans and a Portuguese.) Maybe I just won´t stop in there again!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Good to know. Note taken I will avoid.

My experience is from May this year: I was looking forward to have a stop @ that restaurant, as it was also advertised in the Bierley guide and plenty of postings along the way as a pilgrim's restaurant, and I was quite ready for a late lunch break.
As soon as I stepped into this 'courtyard restaurant' - i took one look, and then turned around on my heels and marched right on out again, leaving this 'establishment' behind as fast as possible. In my book this place is a Dump . A mess.
(this was also one of those times that I questioned the Bierley's guide judgement and wondered if he even walks the areas that are written about in the book).
Was utterly beyond me how this could be recommended.
Seems like that nothing has changed/improved from Rebecca's experience two years prior ....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I shall try and pop in if I get chance, call him garçon, send the soup back.

I will let you know if he sets the dog on me.

:)
I feel like doing something similar,but i have already promised the wife that i shall be on "Exemplary behaviour duty" whilst on the caminho.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I did the CF in 2022 and found the planning quite easy as there were albergues all the way so yiu can walk as much or as little as you please and there is always somewhere to stay. I...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...
Barcelos was having a huge May 1 celebration when we passed through. There was a major unveiling of a sculpture titled Peregrina the following day—very big event. We weren’t there, so I lifted a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back