• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim passport query

mor66

Time of past OR future Camino
2013, legs willing.
Hi. Has anybody out there walked the Camino without a pilgrim passport and is it permitted to stay in a pilgrim hostel without one? 2013 might be my year, legs and knees permitting.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Municipal and parochial albergues require the credencial for admittance. Some private albergues require it. Hostales and hoteles do not.

The Credencial

The Credencial then has panels with boxes in which sellos should be collected. These are usually collected by pilgrims in the place where they sleep such as an albergue. They can also be obtained in Churches, hostales, ayuntamientos and many other places along the routes to Santiago.

Finally, one of the pages contains the following directions for use:

This Credencial is only intended for use by those pilgrims who will walk, go on horseback or cycle and who desire to make the pilgrimage with a Christian motivation or at least in the spirit of searching. It is intended to identify the pilgrim. Therefore the issuing organisation must be a parish, a confraternity, Association of the Amigos of the Camino to Santiago and the like. The Credencial bestows no rights on the pilgrim. It has two practical purposes: admission to those albergues which offer Christian hospitality along the way; and to obtain the Compostela from the Cathedral in Santiago which certifies the pilgrimage has been completed.
The Compostela is only issued to those who have made the pilgrimage with a Christian motivation: devotonis affectul vel voti pietatis causa – motivated by devotion, a vow or piety.
The Compostela is also only issued to those who arrive at the Tomb of the Apostle having travelled on foot or on horseback the last 100kms, or 200kms by bicycle.
The Pilgrim Credencial can only be issued by the Church through its own structures: Dioceses, parishes, confraternities or other bodies authorised by the Church. This is the only way the Credencial can be obtained from the S.A.M.I. Cathedral of Santiago (Jornadas sobre el Año Santo: noviembre 1993).
Albergues provide simple accommodation. They do not receive grants for their upkeep and need to be sustained, cleaned and maintained. This is achieved through the contributions of pilgrims.
Organised groups with a support vehicle or on bicycles are asked to find alternative accommodation from the pilgrim albergues.
The bearer of the Credencial accepts these conditions.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
mor66 said:
Hi. Has anybody out there walked the Camino without a pilgrim passport and is it permitted to stay in a pilgrim hostel without one? 2013 might be my year, legs and knees permitting.
Why would anyone want to walk the camino without a pilgrim passport? They are virtually free to obtain and form a wonderful record of your entire camino.

Buen camino!
Stephen.
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

Falcon, thanks for that - really interesting!

I had the same question as Stephen - why would you not have a credential? They also come in handy when checking into an albergue because they have your personal information so the hospitalero can easily copy it into the albergue's record book.

More from the Pilgrim Office/Cathedral:
Where do I get a credencial?

The credencial is the official document on which pilgrims record their journey to Santiago. It is essential to have at least 2 sellos (stamps) per day for at least the last 100kms if walking or travelling on horseback, and 200kms if cycling, to qualify for a Compostela. The credencial is also required if you wish to use albergues along the pilgrim routes to Santiago.

You can get a credencial in person from the Pilgrims’ Office in Santiago or from one of the many organisations authorised to issue credenciales on behalf of the Cathedral. These organisations are listed in this section.

Please note that ONLY the credencial issued by the Cathedral of Santiago through the Pilgrims’ Office, or by an organisation specifically authorised, will be accepted.
International organizations that can issue credencials: http://peregrinossantiago.es/eng/prepar ... worldwide/

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Santiago list is a bit out of date in one respect-- the Canadian group is : The Canadian Company of PIlgrims, POB 57004, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1R 1A1. e-mail: ottawacamino@santiago.ca

If Johnnie Walker sees this, could her advise the webhospitalero?

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings fellow travelers, I am hoping to do my first international trip at 57 and solo to walk the Camino Primitivo in mid-July. I want to book the trip through either Santiago Ways or Camino...
I'll be volunteering in Santiago July 01- July 15 this year with the Camino Companions who offer services for the English speaking pilgrims, announcements at mass, English Mass at the Pilgrim's...
Hi my name is Bryce (Australian) and I’m doing the Camino Frances starting September 15. My wife is 57 years old and was born without her left thigh bone. She can wear a prosthetic leg for very...
Hello✨✨✨✨ I ve just finished my thirty-day walk from San Sebastian and it’s a weird feeling I m going through , a mix of sadness and solitude. I kept afar Icts in the past few days to « see » and...
Hi everyone, I was just listening to Ivar's last video and he mentioned Ed Sheeran. So fyi: a heads up. Ed Sheeran will be doing a concert at Monte de Gozo on July 6th this year. Expect there to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back