• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pimientos de Padron - Russian roulette of peppers!

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
For all lovers of pimientos de Padron, here is a scrumptious article on these little green devils!

http://www.richmondmagazine.com/blogs.p ... 5d7116106e
Whilst summering in España, I discovered a food that changed my life in a deep and lasting way. Never much fancied myself a pepper person. Oh, I’d taken a dare by El Salvadoran grape pickers and eaten an entire habanero in one bite, and certainly I’d bought my share of Ukrop’s stoplight peppers before the farmers' market scene slapped me upside my head. But never had I explored peppers a cappella until Manolo, the jolly hotelier/restaurateur at Hostal Bahía — Laxe on Costa de la Muerte, served up a plate of pimientos de Padrón. The world spins differently for me now.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On this trip, it was the first racion I asked for when I arrived, and it was the last thing I ate the night before I left. I brought home some seeds back in May-June trip and I hope I can remember where I put them and that they can grow here. They are soooooo yummy. And definitely not as hot as those habaneros..... but they do carry quite the punch if you are lucky enough to hit a spicy one.
Pimientos de Padron, Algunos Pica, Algunos no.
Yum

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am sorry to disappoint, but pimientos de Padron only grow in Padron, they do not grow anywhere else in Spain. I think people have tried without success, but maybe you are on to something.

And also, so it appears, in Richmond Virginia!

Now that it was late July, I figured I’d have to wait until 2010 to pop my beauties into the ground — then I discovered a stash of Padróns at the Byrd House Market.
Manakintowne Specialty Growers’ Pete Markham can attest under oath to how I blew that week’s market wad on three pounds of Padróns. When you consider that each pepper is the size of a strawberry, this is either quite a feat or the first signs of pathology. My name is Jason Tesauro, and I’m addicted to these peppers. I think I’d sell my mama’s silver for a $40 bag of these babies, and when the growing season’s over, I’m gonna need to hit the clinic for methPadróne to ease the jones.

The Franciscanos brought from Mexico in the XVII century, I think, a kind of chilli, and they planted in their monastery of Herbon, 2 km. from Padron. Today, that monastery is an albergue de Peregrinos run by the Galician Asociation (AGACS).

Due to famous history of Padron, center of the hole Galician history, the Jacobeus Traditions, etc, the pepper from Herbon was well known around the world as Pimiento de Padron.

Today it's possible to taste pimientos during the whole year, because it are planted also in Almeria (south east of Spain) and even in Morocco. Padron produce pimientos during the whole year except between January and March.

Buen Camino, Mmmmmm with pementos.

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We too have purchased pimiento seeds in Santiago. They germinate in warmth but as we do not have a heated greenhouse growth to fruiting stage is slow. We have had ripe peppers during the last few weeks and the plants are now full of flowers but a later crop at this time of year is unlikely. I am sure that with a hot summer (hotter than Kent this year), a heated greenhouse or perhaps just a polytunnel one could get a good crop. We did quite well three or four years ago.
Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back