Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning a Safe Walk on the Camino Invierno Route

CaminoDeSunflowers

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (May 2023)
Hiya!

I'm a first-time pilgrim planning to walk the Camino Frances in May, and am thinking about taking the Camino Invierno route as an alternate to the last leg of the Frances. One thing that worries me is whether there'd be anyone around to ask for help while on the Invierno if I got injured. Not so worried about this on the Frances given how many other pilgrims there are, but I hear the Invierno is much much quieter. How remote is the Camino Invierno? Did anyone find there were long stretches where there wasn't anyone around and no cell coverage?

Any other back-up safety planning tips?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hiya!

I'm a first-time pilgrim planning to walk the Camino Frances in May, and am thinking about taking the Camino Invierno route as an alternate to the last leg of the Frances. One thing that worries me is whether there'd be anyone around to ask for help while on the Invierno if I got injured. Not so worried about this on the Frances given how many other pilgrims there are, but I hear the Invierno is much much quieter. How remote is the Camino Invierno? Did anyone find there were long stretches where there wasn't anyone around and no cell coverage?

I walked the Invierno last September, CaminodeSunflowers. I choose routes that are less traveled. For the Invierno when I was preparing, I would read how someone saw one pilgrim in a week or no pilgrims for many days. I was therefore surprised to meet so many pilgrims along the way. Some days 3 or 4; other days 8 or 9. Many folks when the Sanabres meets the Invierno.
Of course, this was September and not May, the time you are planning to go.
Having said that, there were long stretches where no one was around. Intermittently I would pass through villages or towns where I am certain people would help you if needed. Sometimes there would be the Guardia driving by to make sure all was well.
I am a bit of a Luddite so don't have a cell phone, so I cannot speak to coverage.
My vivid memory is how hot it was (dripping-sweat-all-day hot), and how I had to be sure to carry enough water and food for long stretches, since there was nothing available at times.
The main reason I pilgrimage is to remind myself that God is in charge, and the Camino provides. So although there are times I have to take a few deep breaths to calm myself, for the most part I walk and let God/the Universe teach me what it is I need to learn.
Enjoy your planning and exploring. Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hiya!

I did your planned Camino in 2015. I didn’t see another Pilgrim the entire time I was on the Invierno, and I loved that. But yes, there were stretches when I walked several hours without seeing another human. I had a friend who I messaged each morning with my intended destination and then messaged when I arrived-just so that someone knew where I should be. But if I had fallen and broken something, it would have been hours (or perhaps days?) before someone would have found me. Nevertheless, I’d do it all again without hesitation!

Hi, @CaminoDeSunflowers, Welcome to the forum! There is a big group of Invierno aficionados here, so you will get lots of information about this route, either by searching through the subforum or asking questions here.

Did anyone find there were long stretches where there wasn't anyone around and no cell coverage?

There really aren’t any remote sections on the Invierno. You are always pretty close to “civilization.” The one exception might be the walk up to Monte Faro, which is a local pilgrimage destination in its own right but on weekedays and off-season, you are unlikely to see others up there. But it is totally accessible, all on wide tracks, and then along the windfarm ridge, again, not likely to see people, but not remote.

In an emergency, I would call 112 and not alertcops. If your particular cell phone carrier should happen not to have service in the spot you call from, the 112 call searches for any available mobile carrier to connect you. Having said that, though, I have used both Vodafone and Movistar on the Invierno and don’t remember ever finding that I had no service.

I’ve walked this route three times, usually alone, and never felt anxious or uncomfortable in terms of personal safety. But I have seen a total of 2 other pilgrims on my three walks, so it’s not exactly crowded. Based on what I hear, though, there is definitely an uptick in pilgrims. This is due no doubt to Brierley’s guide and the huge amount of cash the Xunta has poured into this route. I bet you will find others walking.

Buen camino, Laurie

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Folks can anyone advise about the ease. or lack of ease. of pack transport along the Invierno route? Many Thanks Michael.
We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back