• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

planning continues

dalstonmarra

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPD to Burgos April 2015, Burgos to Leon.(May 2016)
Leon to Santiago(April2017)
All transportation is arranged,just need to book first night stay on the hill.Can't envisage walking all the way to Roncavalles in one hit.
Leaving UK on 14th April and hopefully on the Way on the 15th, weather permitting.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Very wise decision to break the first day up. Buen Camino! SY

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I had made a reservation at Orrison in order to break up my first day on the CF via the Napoleon. Unfortunately, the weather (the end of May) made the route impassable that day.

The Pilgrim Office in SJPdP advised me to walk the Val Carlos instead.

I took their advice and lost my reservation at Orrison.

The ValCarlos was freezing, slippery, and very muddy. A miserable first day on my first Camino.

I can't imagine what the Napoleon would have been like, but I heard that a woman who did not take the Pilgrim Office advice and walked the Napoleon anyway, slipped and broke her leg the next day.

I, on the other hand, lived to walk another day . . . and another . . . and another.

Forty days later, I practically bounced into SdC, having walked the whole way.

My point is, make that reservation. Doing the Pyrenees in one day is challenging, although very doable. But be prepared to take the advice of the people at the Pilgrim Office. Do not try to second guess them. Don't be surprised if "the Camino" has different plans from the ones you have expectantly laid out for yourself.

After all my months and months of planning, my Camino took 40 days and was the adventure of a lifetime.

The woman who did not take the advice of the Pilgrim Office, after months and months of planning, had a Camino that lasted maybe half a day.

Buen Camino!!

I had made a reservation at Orrison in order to break up my first day on the CF via the Napoleon. Unfortunately, the weather (the end of May) made the route impassable that day.

The Pilgrim Office in SJPdP advised me to walk the Val Carlos instead.

I took their advice and lost my reservation at Orrison.

The ValCarlos was freezing, slippery, and very muddy. A miserable first day on my first Camino.

I can't imagine what the Napoleon would have been like, but I heard that a woman who did not take the Pilgrim Office advice and walked the Napoleon anyway, slipped and broke her leg the next day.

I, on the other hand, lived to walk another day . . . and another . . . and another.

Forty days later, I practically bounced into SdC, having walked the whole way.

My point is, make that reservation. Doing the Pyrenees in one day is challenging, although very doable. But be prepared to take the advice of the people at the Pilgrim Office. Do not try to second guess them. Don't be surprised if "the Camino" has different plans from the ones you have expectantly laid out for yourself.

After all my months and months of planning, my Camino took 40 days and was the adventure of a lifetime.

The woman who did not take the advice of the Pilgrim Office, after months and months of planning, had a Camino that lasted maybe half a day.

Buen Camino!!
Thanks FooteK,I had the same scenario in mind,but getting quick response from Orisson seems to be impossible.I fear it may be booked up.That leaves the Valcarlos option which I did not want to take.I had my mind set on the high route.Am also concerned about walking to Val without knowing there will be accommodation available,my days of sleeping in bus shelters are long gone, (just short of 70).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
..., but I heard that a woman who did not take the Pilgrim Office advice and walked the Napoleon anyway, slipped and broke her leg the next day. ... The woman who did not take the advice of the Pilgrim Office, after months and months of planning, had a Camino that lasted maybe half a day.

And, most likely, she had to pay her rescue in full also, as she failed to follow the advice given and chose to go anyway the high road. SY

Orisson is now closed for the winter and the hospitalero may be on a well deserved vacation. On the alternate route the Valcarlos municipal albergue is always open and very nice. You also can book in advance.

Orisson typically opens the 1st April, which gives you two weeks to make your reservation before you arrive in SJPDP, so, no reason to panic. Buen Camino! SY

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On my first camino I left SJPdP on April 13th 2011 - and I had booked Orisson.

Thanks to reading this forum, I knew that I would change my plans if the Pilgrim Office advice was to not go on the Napoleon route. But - the weather was fine! You just never know!

buen camino

Ok, so if booking doesn't work then don't forget a return taxi to/from SJPdP is an option, even on the day.
Thanks,it is an option,but there is also a private bus/taxi service which I have found which operates out of SJPD up the Route Nap AM and in reverse PM.costs depend on numbers wishing to travel.

Thanks FooteK,I had the same scenario in mind,but getting quick response from Orisson seems to be impossible.I fear it may be booked up.That leaves the Valcarlos option which I did not want to take.I had my mind set on the high route.Am also concerned about walking to Val without knowing there will be accommodation available,my days of sleeping in bus shelters are long gone, (just short of 70).
Having walked both routes, the ValCarlos and the Napoleon I can say that they are both beautiful (check out my photos on here on my media page). You would not be shorting yourself if weather dictated the ValCarlos option. Also, I believe there are accommodations at ValCarlos (about 11-12 kilometers from SJPdP) if that's what you are looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Orisson is now closed for the winter and the hospitalero may be on a well deserved vacation. On the alternate route the Valcarlos municipal albergue is always open and very nice. You also can book in advance.
didn't realise that it would be closed completely,thought there would be staff there!

Orisson typically opens the 1st April, which gives you two weeks to make your reservation before you arrive in SJPDP, so, no reason to panic. Buen Camino! SY
Thanks for the info,thought it was just typical French.

I didn't mean to mislead. The ValCarlos was very beautiful - lush green valleys, majestic mountains, peaceful farmland and wooded paths. My particular trip was full of mud and cold, which unfortunately kept my eyes focused on the path in front of me. Like Mark Lee, I took some spectacular photos on the VC, so please don't consider it a poor option to the Nap. We hear so much about the Napoleon, we think anything else is junk. Definitely not so. On my next trip, if I have to walk the VC again, I will not be unhappy. I think it would be stunning in great weather.Also, there were several stops along the way for warmth and cafe con leche!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Ha, ha! I'm on the other side of 60 myself!!

All transportation is arranged,just need to book first night stay on the hill.Can't envisage walking all the way to Roncavalles in one hit.
Leaving UK on 14th April and hopefully on the Way on the 15th, weather permitting.

Book at Orisson if they are open. Book early if you can. I can know that the road to Roncaballes can be long on a good day, never mind if the weather does not cooperate.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We are booked in at Orisson on 10th April. We booked it via the Contact form on the website last Friday and had a reply and an invoice the very next day!! We paid the invoice via PayPal the day we got it. We are hoping for the best that the weather will be OK for us to walk this route.

[QUOTE="FooteK, post: 263100, member: 23038".................Forty days later, I practically bounced into SdC, having walked the whole way.

[/QUOTE]

Nice post my friend, very well written.

I booked Orisson for April 9th and waited over a week for a response from my inquiry, then several more days before they emailed the invoice for PayPal. I sent my request before Christmas, so I'm sure that was the reason for the delay.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks,it is an option,but there is also a private bus/taxi service which I have found which operates out of SJPD up the Route Nap AM and in reverse PM.costs depend on numbers wishing to travel.
I know that you can go with Express Bourricot to Orison at 9.30 with their luggage drop for 8 euros and I know that they go at other times of the day, so I assume they are available to go back. Is that who you are using? I know their service starts early March.

I know that you can go with Express Bourricot to Orison at 9.30 with their luggage drop for 8 euros and I know that they go at other times of the day, so I assume they are available to go back. Is that who you are using? I know their service starts early March.[/QUOT
Yes that's the company they do multi stop with passengers and luggage up the RN.Waiting for their updated plans for 2015

[QUOTE="FooteK, post: 263100, member: 23038".................Forty days later, I practically bounced into SdC, having walked the whole way.

Nice post my friend, very well written.[/QUOTE]
John, thank you so much for your kind words. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
didn't realise that it would be closed completely,thought there would be staff there!
Contact them asap if you plan to stay Orisson on 15th. I have already booked with them for that night so he is still looking at emails regardless of where he is. He also gave me his phone number to ring two days before arriving for a weather report. We may be sharing a dinner that night weather permitting, Buen Camino

Contact them asap if you plan to stay Orisson on 15th. I have already booked with them for that night so he is still looking at emails regardless of where he is. He also gave me his phone number to ring two days before arriving for a weather report. We may be sharing a dinner that night weather permitting, Buen Camino
Just received the invoice this morning so everything is moving along nicely Hopefully we will be round the table on the night if we don't meet before.I'll be the one puffing and panting and taking large intakes of breath on the steep bits.

Just received the invoice this morning so everything is moving along nicely Hopefully we will be round the table on the night if we don't meet before.I'll be the one puffing and panting and taking large intakes of breath on the steep bits.
No, that will be me. I have walked the camino once before and discovered that when God made me, he forgot to put in the uphill gear :), look forward to hopefully meeting you

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi dalstonmarra, just heard from another pilgrim, 'Following the yellow arrows' that she will be in Orisson the same night. We wont have to look far for someone to chat with that night :)

Hi dalstonmarra, just heard from another pilgrim, 'Following the yellow arrows' that she will be in Orisson the same night. We wont have to look far for someone to chat with that night :)

Could be English night,just as well as I don't have much in the way of language skills.Translator,however on my Samsung phone.

Could be English night,just as well as I don't have much in the way of language skills.Translator,however on my Samsung phone.
You wont need the translator. I have no language skills either, cant even speak my own language, Irish, other than a handful of phrases. It is amazing how quickly you pick up enough to get by and the Spanish are extremely helpful when they see you are trying. Of course Orisson is French and I know even less of that language but we will get by

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, we will be there too on 15th, so hope to meet you when you finally make that hill.....dont worry I wont be speeding up it either.......Buen Camino........

Most read last week in this forum

A local Navarra website has reported the death of a 61 year old German peregrina this morning in Zuriain. The cause appears to have been cardiac arrest. The third death of a pilgrim in Navarra in...
We’re currently on the Frances. We’re walking from SJPDP. We’re looking at our projected dates for Sarria to Santiago. When we try to find lodging it all looks sold out on booking.com. What...
I just got an email that the train from Bayonne to St Jean tonight is canceled. Anyone else see this?
A few km before Portomaran, a huge swarm of wasps swooped down on a pilgrim. Thankfully, he wasn’t stung. He said it looked like a flock of sparrows that swooped down and he thought they were...
Here is a pic from 2016, I love the simplicity of the sketch map and directions "1 km climb up, 5km flat, 5km down". I wonder how the prices are now?
Reposted from Wise Pilgrim comments, was hiking with this pilgrim. Don’t follow app,go just a bit further past to well marked turn, not the one with spray painted arrow on stop sign:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back