• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning for a trip May/June 2008

jrusniak

So a little bit about myself. I fell in love with Santiago de Compostela when I studied there about 7 years ago. I have been back a few times and have finally decided that I am going to take the leap and complete the full hike across northern friend. I will be traveling with a very good friend of mine who is a Spanish teacher, and we are totally pumped. I am presently a Spanish-speaking school social worker and am excited that I have the summer off to go on this awesome adventure. As part of my classes, I did a section of the pilgrimage and loved it, and told myself that no matter what, I would complete it. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
Jules

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Jules,
Welcome to the forum. :) I've no particular words of wisdom other than enjoy your preparations and then the Pilgrimage. It sounds to me that with your Spanish background you are well equipped to get a lot out of your journey. But if any particular issues arise feel free to ask. :)
Buen Camino,
Brendan

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Jules

Hubby and I are starting in SJPP on about 23 May so maybe we'll meet.

We very excited and am almost counting the number of sleeps!!! :lol:

I wonder if this Camino syndrome is characterised by the same behaviour in all of us:

counting the nights until we go
packing and unpacking rucksack
constantly weighing rucksack
obsessive checking of travel plans
reading guide and then reading it again then...
Spending much time readings blogs and diaries
Speaking pidgeon Spanish at inappropriate moments usually after red wine has been taken
Expecting friends and family to walk everywhere with us

and there's more....

JohnnieWalker said:
I wonder if this Camino syndrome is characterised by the same behaviour in all of us:

Agree with you on the symptoms, except I was speaking pidgeon English, rather than Spanish (my native language)

For those would-be pilgrims that do not have an outdoor equipment store nearby is:
- spending time online comparing and purchasing camino equipment
- developing a packing list worksheet and working out all sorts of combinations to keep the rucksack within my 7 kg. weight limit.

Buen camino to all! :arrow:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
JohnnieWalker said:

counting the nights until we go
packing and unpacking rucksack
constantly weighing rucksack
obsessive checking of travel plans
reading guide and then reading it again then...
Spending much time readings blogs and diaries
Speaking pidgeon Spanish at inappropriate moments usually after red wine has been taken
Expecting friends and family to walk everywhere with us

and there's more....

....hours spent on on this forum looking into healing methods for 'blisters'
....'antennae up for locals who look Spanish, ears 'pricked' for those discussing their last Camino :!:
....deliberating whether I need further Spanish lesson (after one term's worth ..... hola :) )
....becoming foot obsessed and noting how each toe feels after a day in the city etc.
....wondering where to get a 'scallop shell' tattoo
....trying to convince 'daughter' she could do with a good 'walk' (in Spain ! )
... wondering IF I will ever take that first Camino step :?:
OH WELL...... My "vision-board' looks good.

lillypond said:
....wondering where to get a 'scallop shell' tattoo

If you ever drop into the Pacific Northwest by Portland/Vancouver, I think I might be able to direct you to a good tattoo parlor. An experienced tattooee gave me his recommendation, since I'm contemplating getting a tat to commemorate my Camino (one of my albergue stamps, slightly modified). All I have to do now is get it done. :shock:

However, if you mean where on your body to get the tattoo, then that's a whole new ballgame ;-) Personally, I'm thinking on my right calf - so if I ever do the Camino again, it'll have max protection from the sun...

It is really amazing the way all of us , pilgrims and would-be pilgrims, behave: all of you mentioned the same things; the backpack, the boots, the blisters, etc... :oops: :oops: And there is more - friends that have never heard about the Camino! They do not believe that you are walking across Spain for 32 days at least!! Now I am starting to say that I am visiting a loved friend called Tiago who lives in Compostella... :lol: :lol: Well, I have always heard that planning the party is better than the actual party!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sumachado - let's hope that Tiago becomes real and doesn't remain forever a mythical figure :)

Yes - I have two daughters who avoid walking anywhere - literally anywhere! They find the concept of pilgrimage very loco indeed. I am convinced they think that whilst I might be walking that it is from one beach side resort to another. I telephoned one of them on their birthday when I was climbing one of the higher sections of the VdlP and I explained I had to go because it was late in the day ands I needed to get to the destination " Oh Dad" she said "Just do what we do at home....call a taxi".

I can relate totally to the idea of a Camino Syndrome and I haven't even left yet! :) I'm also planning my Camino walk next May/June. My personal gauge of how severe this is relates to the fact that when you start dreaming about the experience, it has pretty well taken over your psyche. Camino-obsesssed might be a better term. Other symptoms include constructing a Camino countdown - crossing out the days to departure, which of course are going far too slowly for my liking. I think I am on version 6 of a walking schedule, reconfiguring with each successive version differing stopping points (based upon how many kilometers I might expect to do each day without taxing the body). It's partly the anticipation of hoping to enjoy each moment when it happens and probably hoping it won't end. As many others have said, planning the walk is one of the most enjoyable parts. Perhaps we'll meet on the trail next year. Good luck!
Keith

keith said:
I can relate totally to the idea of a Camino Syndrome and I haven't even left yet! :) Keith

CA -
First step - admitting I have a problem (those in denial call it a desire, an irresistible draw)
namely a "mild" to "intense" addiction to all things Camino - need I say more.

Do you want some wine with that scallop shell?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well walking the camino can be VERY addicting. i walked the camino frances in 2006, the camino norte in 2007 and now i am doing research on the via francigena, however i may consider doing the via de plata in 2008. It is exiting PLANNING. This is the only kind of holiday i know. And i deliver mail so go figure, a postie going on a walking holiday. :D
dawn

I read Paulo Coelho's "The Pilgrimage" in 2000. Until then I had never heard of the camino but before I read past page twenty, I knew I wanted to do it. However, I was still raising kids on my own and couldn't see how that could possibly ever happen. Santiago de Compostela was to me like Shangri-la, Camelot, or Utopia- it wasn't real, it was just a fabulous place that was written about in fairytales. Next thing I knew was that by some stroke of fabulous good fortune, a well seasoned traveller friend of mine told me that he was taking me to Santiago in September 2002. He wanted to include it as part of a driving holiday in Western Europe. At first I protested and said that if I went to Santiago I wanted to walk, but he convinced me that I should see it the easyway first and then to decide whether or not I wanted to do it for real. Well to cut a long story short, by our second day on the road from SJPdP to Santiago, he decided that we should both do it because everytime we passed a pilgrim we were green with envy and wanted to get out of the car and walk with them.
My first glimpse of the Cathedral was almost surreal. I quite simply couldn't grasp the enormity of where I was. After two more trips to Europe, the time has finally come for us to plan our Camino. We're not going till 2009 but we are going to have so much fun getting ready and it's true that the anticipation is sometimes the best part of any adventure. Keep on walking everyone, you will all be our inspiration.

I'm also going to be walking the Camino in May/June 2008. I'm currently a university student in Kingston, Canada, planning to graduate in May, and then off to Santiago.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
which route will you be walking.???? May is a beautiful time of the year, so green and beautiful wild flowers. however the camino frances is likely to be busy, there are other routes to consider that go to Santiago.
the planning is so much fun,
dawn

Hi Peregrinos,
To all those getting towards the end of their Pilgrimage in June next year, I'll be working as hospitalero at Refugio Gaucelmo, Rabanal, also know as the 'English' Refugio - if you're passing say 'Hello'.
Buen Camino to all. :)
Brendan

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ah! sorry. What I meant to say was:

I go to university in Winnipeg (our strange little gathering of buildings in the middle of all this flat land) and this July/August I walked from Pamplona to Santiago. I'm wondering where you heard about the Camino. I had never heard of it before I was in Europe already and randomly met someone who described it to me- and I had to go. I think I've asked people for their stories aobut 3 or 4 times already since joining this forum, but I can't help it! I'm really curious, and I love hearing the stories- they tend toward the inspired.

Erin

Dawn of a new Day said:
Well walking the camino can be VERY addicting. i walked the camino frances in 2006, the camino norte in 2007 and now i am doing research on the via francigena, however i may consider doing the via de plata in 2008.

I'm curious as to how your pilgrimages differed each time. I'm sure you applied the equipment/physical lessons from your first trek to the subsequent journeys. But how did they affect you emotionally/spiritually? Any new insights (you don't have to get overly personal)? What lessons did you learn that you might've missed had you only done one pilgrimage?

I'm thinking of doing the Portuguese route someday (I did the Frances route from St. Jean to Santiago in July-August of 2007), so I'm wondering about what I might be in for. Anyway, thanks for your insights in advance :)

Every trip is SO DIFFERENT. it really depends on the weather, who you meet, and i believe we are there for lessons to unfold.
Camino frances, appreciating the church celebration the first time, i wanted to see it again so i rushed back from finisterre (it was cancelled) so nothing is the same after the first time. instead of saying oh i don't know anyone in santiago the second time, i thought of it as as wow look at all the new people i can meet.Wish i took more time to sit and enjoy the fantastic country during the day instead of keeping up with the fantastic people i met.
Camino norte a very powerful insite, why i was left alone for 10 days. there were no accidents. i could write a book with awareness. here is not the place.
go and see what shows up, we are all in different places spiritually, so all will be different for everyone.
d

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
hi there!

may is a great time to do the camino.

regarding the weather,
i walked this may/june and had a bit of rain, though i know may/june 20006 some pilgrims got through without a rain drop, even in galacia which is rather unheard of. i was kind of worried about the "rain issue" (things like "what if i bring too much or not enough rain stuff?" and "i hate being wet!") but one day, after getting COMPLETELY soaked (my shoes were like fish bowls) and having a grand time of it i realized this:
"when your soaked, you stop worrying about staying dry!" now the weather doesn't stop me from doing what i want to do. i have even hiked in the snow since i've been back, and i thank the camino for that.

regarding the route,
yes the camino frances will be busy, but pick the route that calls strongest to your heart. you can't go wrong ... a pilgrimage is a rich experience as long as you stay open, and i never heard anyone get to santiago and say "that was great but i really wish i took XXX route to get here instead" !

feel free to drop me a line with any questions or check out the "may babies unite" thread which may have some useful info.

ENJOY!

pamela

Mouse said:
Hubby and I are starting in SJPP on about 23 May so maybe we'll meet.
Hi Mouse,
I'll be working as hospitalero in Refugio Gaucelmo at Rabanal in the 2nd half of June. Perhaps we shall meet.
Hope preparations go well.
Buen Camino,
Brendan

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
brendan nolan said:
Hi Peregrinos,
To all those getting towards the end of their Pilgrimage in June next year, I'll be working as hospitalero at Refugio Gaucelmo, Rabanal, also know as the 'English' Refugio - if you're passing say 'Hello'.
Buen Camino to all. :)
Brendan

Brendan, hi there would like some info on how to be a hospitalero. Plan on doing a field placement in that catagory for my M. Div.

niel

Hello everyone you are all so helpful and I do appreciate you dealing with my ignorance. So here it is exams are over and nothing to do til next University term so I can start making preparations for my camino in May. I need advice on a rucksack and also a water bottle. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks.
niel

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Nathanael

There are as many views on rucksacks as there are pilgrims! My own view is that you need to decide what you are going to use it for and when you are likely to use it. If you are only ever going to walk the Camino Frances in good weather for example and only carry 6k with you this will inform the size you need - most would say no more that 30l. If you are only going to walk it once you may not wish to invest in a more expensive ultralight ruckasack - there are cheaper options available. If you are going to walk more than once and perhaps in more than once season then you will need something larger and perhaps more robust imho. I use an Atmos 50 which I find works all year round. We've all found what is best for us sometimes just through experimenting and visiting many hiking shops. Once you have considered some of the questions go along to a couple of shops - I always advise going mid week when you are more likely to get an experienced sales assistant rather than a weekend "temp" - I find that many sales assistants are also experienced walkers and are also happy to share their practical views. Try some rucksacks on for size and walk around. It has got to fit you and pay particular attention to the waist strap - best to be broad and comfortable as this is where the weight will sit on your hips. Don't rush the decision.

As for water bottles - some people swear by camel backs where you carry a sleeve of water in your pack and can drink continuously through a hose at your mouth, others have insulated bottles to keep water cool others - like me - just buy a bottle or two of water and top it up at at a fountain - I was surprised at just how frequent these are on the Camino Frances when I had been used to carrying 3 litres or so on the Southern route earlier in the year.

Happy shopping!

John

nathanael said:
also a water bottle

I brought two 32-ounce (about a liter or so) Nalgene water bottles. They are practically indestructible, even when you drop them on cement with a full load of water. A nice souvenier for afterwards as well.

However, my pack happened to have a side pocket that fit a Nalgene perfectly - so you may want to look for an integrated pack/water solution. As JW said, a number of packs come with a water reservoir for a camelback-type system...so you can kill two birds with one stone! :arrow:

Keith read you are doing the camino May/June which route are you doing. I am starting from Roncesvalles and it will be my first, hope to meet you on the way somewhere. I am leaving here probably the end of April or begining of May.The best of travel and enjoy.

niel

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Niel
I'm setting out from Roncesvalles on or near May 11 for my first walk on the Camino. From the sounds of it, you will be a fair distance ahead of me if you are starting near the beginning of May. Nonetheless, here's wishing you a most fulfilling sojourn. You never know, we may actually meet up.
Buen Camino
Keith

Still looking at an April 12 start and I spend a lot of time reading, sending for more to read, on this forum almost constantly, just saw the DVD "Within the Way Without" a must see.

My pack is pretty much set and, yes Vinotinto I'm still taking my chair! I'm well under 20 lbs so happy with that. I've made some super friends here and look forward to meeting many of you April-May.

Buen Camiino,
Arn

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Nathanael,
Sorry for delay :( answering your question on being an Hospitalero, only just discoverd it today - I'm not very good at picking up the various threads.
So being an Hospitalero: the CSJ is always looking for volunteers to work in their refugios. They have one, on the Camino Frances, at Rabanal in the Montes de Leon, about 20 km after Astorga. There is a second at Miraz in Galicia, on the Camino del Norte. You will be able to get information about volunteering on the CSJ site. They normally ask that the hospitalero has done some of the Pilgrimage and be a member of the Confraternity, but I don't think they insist on the latter. If you have any problems getting contacts get back in touch with me, probably best via private message.
It is also possible, I believe, to register with a central organisation in Spain and they will allocate you a refugio. I don't know any addresses but I'm sure that the CSJ would be able to help you.
It is probably better to have experienced the Camino and all that it entails before becoming an hospitalero. In that way you can then appreciate what a pilgrim is feeling as they arrive in your refugio. For the hospitaleros it is a really enriching experience. In May this year we (Anne + I) worked for 2 weeks at Rabanal, welcoming 475 pilgrims from 29 different countries. Each had their own story and some had shown great courage along the way.
Good luck with your plans.
Brendan

Nathanael,
where are you living. i live in british columbia canada and have just completed a hospitalero course. there is an organization in spain that places hospitaleros, first 2 weeks of the month or the last. there is an application to fill out. let me know if you want the address. most places it may be necessary to cook or give a service . one does have a choice thou. csj looks after the 2 mentioned.
good luck. i may do the hospitalero next year, or another walk.... ah so many decisions.
dawn

keith i will be starting out on the 3rd. of May, although I do plan on starting off easy. Who knows we might connect I want to make this trip memorable so slow and slower will be my motto.

See you,
niek

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was going to post a list of places to volunteer as a hospitalero here but decided to open a new thread - Volunteering as a Hospitalero

good idea sil, doesn't all volunteers go thru the association in spain to be a hospitalero, it is necessary to fill out an application form. the exception would be the csj which looks after rabanel and miraz.
dawn

I'm planning on starting the Camino Frances in May 08.
I'll be traveling to SJPP via the UK via the United States...!
This will be my first Camino... as well as my first overseas trip altogether...
After the trip, I plan on continuing to travel for about a year. Talk about
jumping in!

See you there,
Christopher

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Christopher...welcome!

You and my Son share the same name...so I'm drawn immediately!

In days gone past, when a young lad reached the end of his "formal" schooling, he was sent off on the "Grand Tour", this was focused on getting him out of the house and giving him an opportunity to see and enjoy the fruits of the "then" civilized world. For example: should he be a citizen of England, he would travel by boat across the channel and his journey begun: Amsterdam, even way back then was known for clean streets and less than pristine women. Paris was both a city of culture and a hub of debauch of the most decadent, on to Heidleburg for it's fasching celebrations, across the Alps, thru Italy and on to Rome. Hopefully, tired and aware of his limitations and sins, he'd seek an audience (amid hundreds) with the Pope to absolve his sins.

All this took about a year, and if the young lad survived, he returned home...wiser, well rounded (the food was great indeed) and unlikely to know upon who he may have provided the seed of future generations.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back