• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Plans B through F

Pieces

Veteran Member
I have been planning on doing the Camino Primitivo from mid june to early July (i have 21 days total in Spain excluding the days i arrive and leave). However, I have by now been couched with multiple injuries (unknown ankle pains and a bursit in the left hip, probably a result of the ankle pains..) for the last month and just received at least 2 more weeks of couch sitting from the doctor today, while they find out if i have a nerve stuck somewhere in my back causing the pain.

So, after having been practicing the letting go and letting God strategy & with 6 weeks to go, and less than 4 from my earliest release from the couch I am thinking it is time for admitting that there may indeed be a realistic need for a back up plan, or maybe several.

Also, it will probably take me a bit to get myself believing solution B is way better than plan A ever was....

So here is what I have been thinking (sorry if it is long, but maybe it will be a bit terapeutic as well)

Even if my injuries go away completely I have to decide wether I want to risk the harder Primitive way and the long stretches between Albergues, as the pain may return and make progress hard if not impossible. Also my ankle hurts the must going down (and second most up), and not as much going flat.

So. I am trying to decide what my preferences are. And when listed maybe you can help me sort my options.

I fly into Astuvia on a sunday arriving late afternoon.
I would if at all possible prefer to to a "whole camino" (from it's beginning to santiao)
Maybe i should looks for fewer hills/mountains and more flat than the Primitivo
Maybe somewhere with shorter distances between beds so I won't have to walk too far if worst case
I prefer to walk as opposed to Bicycle
Also, and this is the hardest to get I think, I do prefer to meet the same people every night...

So any suggestions on what my options are are welcome

My thoughts/questions are
Maybe I can bike The Camino del Norte (does many people do this, is it possible to get from Oviedo to Irun, and is it feasible in app two weeks, slow going with a bad hip (read fairly flat)

Maybe I can walk the Portugese from Oporto (It is my impression this is fairly flat and easy going is that correct ? is it possible to get from Oviedo to porto (cant figure the trains on the net they want me to go via madrid ?) How crowded is this route, and how far in between beds. Also is it very much countryside or is "civilization" close by in case i need a hotel/taxi etc)

Also, I can make my way to the French way, Leon, and walk very short bits everyday with all the albegues, but not much fun with new people every night

Or maybe you have an even better suggestion. I really DO see myself walking as opposed to biking, even if biking means I can bring hair conditioner and mascara... (also, i have new backpack, hikingpoles, shoes, socks etc etc... (writing that really made me feel miserable))

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
So sorry for you ... :cry: - not only are your choices dificult but being bed-ridden you have nothing else to do but to continually think about all this ... very difficult time for you.

Your main problem thought is not that you won't be ready but that your body won't be able to keep up the pace day after day? True. Those lower limb problems can really flare up .... having to carry the whole body and pack and so on.

I really don't know what to say, except, perhaps, whatever you choose choose a busy route as you will be close to support should you need it.

You are young though - and Nordic! - so you may heal faster than you expect. Have you thought of perhaps splitting the Frances into two? Doing one half this year, which would allow lots of rest time - and finishing next year?

Don't be alone on this. do keep us up to date. The really experienced walkers, who have direct knowledge of recovering from injuries will be on here soon, I am sure.

Take care :wink:

Thanks David

Well actually I am not sure what and if I have a problem, but I am getting stressed with no improvement for 4 weeks now and only 6 more weeks to go, thinking that maybe I shouldnt even if i can, provided they still haven't figured why I have pain.

So, what I am trying to do is plan for every eventuality, as I do have the ticket and the time off, I will be in spain in june, question is where and what I will be doing. I do believe I would be able to walk some as the ankle pain is constant rest or movement and the hip seems better, thing is I dont know and don't wanna find out 15 kms from the next bed :D

So a plan for every scenario to wrap my mind around is the new strategy and busy outes as you say :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
maybe cycling is not so bad then, if there are more people doing it, and as a last resort.

I did actually read that post a few days ago when i was researching the cycle option :)

deciding is really hard though, because i wasthinking that if i liked the walking i wanted to walk the northern route someday also, so I am trying to find an option that i will enjoy but that wont mess with future plans :)

so many caminos so many decisions

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Pieces,

If you want to get to Irun check this bus sitehttp://www.alsa.es/portal/site/Alsa. You can go from Asturias airport and there is one change of bus, usually Oviedo.

Getting from Asturias airport to Oporto will be no simple task, expect the journey not only to cover the day you land, but also a portion of the next day as well. There is no direct flights from Asturias. Buses are an option but you will have to spend the first day travelling to where ever you want to spend the 1st night(A'Coruna, Santiago, Vigo) then the next day get the bus to Oporto. Trains are similar as well, there are 2 services a day from Vigo to Oporto. Forget the closeness of the two places and how relatively large they are, the train is 2 carriages long and a token gesture to International travel.

You can still walk one whole camino, The Ingles, about 110km. Getting from Asturias airport to Ferrol you could do that on your first day. Then from Santiago go on to walk to Finisterre and Muxia, 115km, Its just an option. If you did get to Oporto you would probably have time to walk the CP from there, ive not walked it, but i do have the Brierley book and apart from a couple of 200-300 meter ascents there seems like there isnt too much to worry about.Other people might correct me on that.
You could also consider walking the last 200km of the Norte, starting in either Tapia or Ribadeo.
The Climb into Galicia is quite gentle, and while the hostels may not be as close to each other as on the Frances they are not that far apart as well, and there are some really nice ones. This leg of the Norte can be quite busy, but its still not a race.

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Mike

Thanks Mike for your help

I did almost decide yesterday on going to porto and then walking to santiago if possible, aletrnative Lisbon and the bike, but then had a look at the CSJ guide and found it very confusing, especially about places to stay, but I find that bit about the portugese confusing in general, so now I am back to thinking about doing the primitive and just bringing the list of Taxi phone numbers that sillydoll posted somewhere.

Do you know how far it is between beds on the ingles ? I did consider that one, but it seemed even less crowded than the primitivo

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We are walking the Portuguese in the fall from Porto to Santiago. I did the Frances in 2009. It looks as though there are plenty of places to stay along the Portuguese and the terrain is easier than the Frances if you are worried about your injury. Don't discount it as an option if you want to walk and take it easy.

Thanks Falcon, looks like another option. A few places with far between lodging, but I suppose it will be possible to find a taxi/bus, also the advantage of going uphill but hardly ever downhill.

I haven't quite discounted the Portuguese Portia, but am maybe coming to the decision that what I need to do is research and that the final decision will probably not be made untill I start walking

Would anyone know of a nice overview of this route in Portugal (Oporto to Tui) with albergues, hotels and maps ?

P - walked 500m today without making the ankle worse, so am now very hopefull :lol:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Pieces said:
Would anyone know of a nice overview of this route in Portugal (Oporto to Tui) with albergues, hotels and maps ?
Hi Pieces,

Try this website, you can get a book of here by John Brierleyhttp://www.caminoguides.com. I have the book for the CP and it is pretty good, each map gives distances, albergues, section profiles, variants etc, etc, etc. even if they dont ship to Denmark you will have the ISBN number. Another option is to really look at the CP threads, peregrina 2000 has been very vocal in promoting it and has given very good contact details on her posts, these websites usually provide section details as well.

The one website you will find ishttp://www.Alberguederates.com/index_EN.html

Mike

ha ha thanks Mike

having been planning for the primitivo I never even stopped to think that there might be a book for this route, will order today :lol:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Have changed my arrival destination to Oporto instead of Asturias and orderes the Brierly guide.

Even if the leg is better (turned out to be a back issue not a leg issue, something pressuring a nerve) I don't much fancy the idea of being in the middle of nowhere with no cell phone coverage and no houses around for miles on the primitivo. Also, I never did get started on the training properly, quite the opposite, so It will just be a stressfactor (even if I did get one of those whistles that can be heard for a mile :lol:)

So, current plan is to do a nice and leisurely stroll on the Portugese and then add up with the Ingles / Finisterre / Muxia options if I am skipping all the way to Santiago, and some beach time if i need layovers 8)

So, hoping that third plane ticket is the lucky one I will now mostly be found in the Portugese forum.

Thanks to those who helped me make this decision

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back