• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Poor Saint James and Namur Belgium!

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
I will be attending a conference in Firenze this September and have been searching around for sites connected with Saint James to visit. Nearby Pistoia has a beautiful altar in silver dedicated to Saint James which I saw years and years ago and will be going back to see again. I don't remember viewing the relics of Saint James purported to be in the same church, Saint Andrea. Did some research, "Portals Pilgrimage and Crusade in Western Tuscany" by Dorothy F. Glass was helpful (a wonderful book in itself). One Atto of Pistoia (Spanish of course) was instrumental in translating the relics but was also assisted by Saint Rainerius from nearby Pisa. Further study revealed a foot of Saint James in Namur, Belgium; a mummified hand in Marlowe, England, and another 9 pieces of skull and a dozen bits of limbs scattered throughout Europe. This all without mentioning Saint James Armenian Cathedral here in Jerusalem which was founded well before the coming of Saint Helena and Constantine, the Armenians believe that their church stands on the place where Saint James was martyred and that they possess both the head as well as a scarf similar to that in Turino upon which his face is imprinted.
All interesting and common enough given the history and legends surrounding relics and the translations of saints in Europe-those interested should see "Furta Sacra" by Patrick J. Geary. But I would like some more information concerning Namur and the reliquary there, since next Spring I plan to make a swing through Germany-Belgium-Holland viewing Carolingian architecture and can easily fit Namur into my schedule. Anyone out there can help?

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone! Well.. one week from today will begin my walk across France and Spain. I see a number of posts regarding a wave of walkers and room accommodation limitations. I am one who is...
Hi. Here's a problem to which I can't find a solution. Any suggestions gratefully received! Last October I walked from Le Puy to Conques, but had to return home due to a family crisis. I'm very...
Hi everyone, I’m currently on the GR 65 going from Le Puy to Conques. I walked this camino in 2014 and now I find myself not recognizing a single bit of literally anything and I’m wondering if...
hallo. We have been using La Malle Postale to transfer our luggage each night from Le Puy en Velay. We have bad backs. They have been a great company and very reliable. Unfortunately we have just...
Hi- I am starting the Via Podiensis Camino at the end of the month. I know people swear by the MMDD guide book for this camino but I am not sure why. So far I have been making use of the...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back