Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

Porto area options

Hello,
Planning a tentative ( fingers crossed) Camino for Oct/ November. Coordinating flights and meeting up with travel companions, it looks like we will have 8 days in Porto. I have been there before, and enjoyed the city, but that seems a little long. Can anyone suggest an interesting and/or relaxing spot within a couple hours of Porto to spend a few days?

Many thanks

John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.
Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.

gns

Year of past OR future Camino
First 2016
Latest Camino Frances Jul-Aug 2020
Have you considered staying at a winery somewhere upstream in the Douro valley. The valley itself is a world heritage site.

A more cultural option would be Coimbra to the south, which is home to Portugal's oldest University and is a great historic city.

Roland49

Hello fellow pilgrim,

one of the tips I received at my hostel in Porto was to drive down to Sao Jacinto with it's vast natural reserve and very fine beaches. Or further to Figueira da Foz with the Mondego outlet.

BC
Roland

MyDestinationGalicia

Mark Auchincloss
Braga is one of my favourite cities. It's also the starting point of a beautiful Camino to Santiago well there's actually 4 routes and they are called Camino Miñoto Ribeiro and Camino Geira Romana o dos Arrieros.

(2015) Frances
(2018) Portuguese
(2019) VdP Seville to Salamanca
(2020) VdP Salamanca to Santiago
Take a look at this link. Forget the advertising. It's a good list of cities close to Porto than you can get to. Good list. Most are accessible via the CP, if not I think the rest are by bus.

Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
You can purchase a "Porto Card" which gives a discount on local attractions. Take a PORT wine tour! Lots of museums. Take a river tour. Take a stroll down to the river and eat fresh grilled sardinhas! Ride the tram. Explore the neighborhoods.

TMcA

Pamplona to Santiago (2013)
Le Puy to Pamplona in segments (2013 - 2016)
Pamplona to León
I agree with you 8 days in Porto is about 4 too many. This despite the fact that I have been there 3 times and love the city.

The problem is that if you were to fly into Madrid in order to spend 3-4 days there before heading to Porto, you are going to have to purchase plane tickets for more $$$ to get to Porto where I assume you will begin your walk to Santiago. You will also have to get back to the airport from the city central. Not difficult if you can handle the city's subway system and stay together as a group. So I would suggest Lisbon because you can use the train to head north to Porto. You could even have a stopover on the trip north if you wish - Coimbra or Figueira da Faz that Roland recommended.

I recommend the train because abundant lodging is always available near big city train systems and because, if you need to take a taxi to the train station, that cost is going to be less than a taxi to the airport. Lastly, it's cheaper than flying the same route and more comfortable, too.