• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portugues in November?

timr

Time of past OR future Camino
Several and counting...
Has anyone recent experience of walking from Porto to Santiago in November? Any tips? I can see that it will likely be wet, but not terribly cold. And obviously walking days fairly short from the point of view of daylight, but not so short as to be a problem I think.
Any advice would be appreciated.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi - hope this may bump your post to the top as myself and a friend are walking the same route this November :)
hope we get some replies

Hi, I walked from Porto to Santiago in February, which is pretty much the same as in November. Yes, cold, rainy. But still pilgrims out there. Not obvious at first, but you will meet them. Many places closed, but still enough open. I loved it! But then I love a challenge. It’s a great adventure, and the Portuguese people will help you if you get stuck. They are amazing. Go for it! Jill

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
While during summer I'm and advocate of trails shoes for the camino, during winter, definately go for boots. There'll be many paths filled with puddles and mud.
Allow for slower walking and less walking time.

Has anyone recent experience of walking from Porto to Santiago in November? Any tips? I can see that it will likely be wet, but not terribly cold. And obviously walking days fairly short from the point of view of daylight, but not so short as to be a problem I think.
Hola Tim

I've been on this route in winter - and it can be sunny! Daylight from around 8am until around 6pm as I remember. I think enough Albergues would be open if you will use them. Good layers and rain gear and all should be well. I hope we meet again

Olá , my suggestion. Choose your way depending on the weather. In stormy and rainy weeks I switched to the inner way, because it was terrible along the coast. Well, on the inner way, some paths may be flooded. For instance shortly after Ponte de Lima. But it happens not every year.
Unfortunately there is only a german guide book, the yellow Outdoor Caminho Português by Raimund Joos, showing all the deviations.

There is a good 10 days forecast:

Portugal: http://www.ipma.pt/en/otempo/prev.localidade/?localID=13&cidadeID=215

Spain: http://www.tempo.pt/galiza.htm

Bom caminho, Rainer

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hola Tim
I've been on this route in winter - and it can be sunny! Daylight from around 8am until around 6pm as I remember. I think enough Albergues would be open if you will use them. Good layers and rain gear and all should be well. I hope we meet again
Very encouraging John, thanks. I will certainly be planning on albergues. Strange waiting until 8am for daylight - funnily I remember that one year around Burgos in late September, but a little extra sleep in the morning is not too much of a burden! Plans are firming up. I am walking Baztan route first in about 10 days.
I hope the book revisions are going well. Tim

Olá , my suggestion. Choose your way depending on the weather.
Thanks Rainer, yes, that sounds about right. I will be quite flexible. I don't mind getting wet-tish, but don't especially want to be blown away! And I can cope with a bit of mud if necessary. ;)

... Unfortunately there is only a german guide book, the yellow Outdoor Caminho Português by Raimund Joos, showing all the deviations. ...

There is also https://www.amazon.com/dp/1844097153/?tag=casaivar02-20 and also the very well done guide here in the forum resources https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/camino-portugués-lisbon-porto-2017.517/ (covering 'only' Lisboa to Porto). Also lots of other info material available in the forum resources. Buen Camino, SY

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks Rainer, yes, that sounds about right. I will be quite flexible. I don't mind getting wet-tish, but don't especially want to be blown away! And I can cope with a bit of mud if necessary. ;)

timr, I´m shure you will enjoy your way, because the weather in November is like in Ireland. My daughter used to study in Sligo. Visiting her in November last year we had a mix of sunshine and rain. Nice to walk in the valleys, but not at the coast.

Enjoy your way and don´t fall into the mud, Rainer

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
timr, I´m shure you will enjoy your way, because the weather in November is like in Ireland. My daughter used to study in Sligo. Visiting her in November last year we had a mix of sunshine and rain. Nice to walk in the valleys, but not at the coast.
Enjoy your way and don´t fall into the mud, Rainer
I am hoping the weather might be better than Ireland;) but I will be prepared for a bit of reality! "A mix of sunshine and rain" describes most of the year here. Delighted to hear you got to Sligo. I am on the other side of the country, but as you know it is quite a small place. I had a great week in Sligo last summer, or should I say last August!

hi All, can I get some advice? (struggling so figure out getting thread members)
leaving next week. Porto to Sdc in 8 days.. sadly no more time. will train to VdCastello and start walking. may need to taxi or bus from Vigo to Redondela, which I have heard is a but boring, highway or road walking.
Luis O Freixo describes a variant route..ferry to Moana then a decent climb 450 m before heading into Pontevedra (25 km). Has anyone done this?? if so-is it a nice route ore preferable? does anybody have any other tips.? are there inland routes that might be preferable to the Littorale. we are fairly locked into accomodation..VpA, Oia, Baiona, Vigo, Pontevedra, CdR, Padron , SdC?
thanks anyone. Bom Caminho to all

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
hi All, can I get some advice? (struggling so figure out getting thread members)
leaving next week. Porto to Sdc in 8 days.. sadly no more time. will train to VdCastello and start walking. may need to taxi or bus from Vigo to Redondela, which I have heard is a but boring, highway or road walking.
Luis O Freixo describes a variant route..ferry to Moana then a decent climb 450 m before heading into Pontevedra (25 km). Has anyone done this?? if so-is it a nice route ore preferable? does anybody have any other tips.? are there inland routes that might be preferable to the Littorale. we are fairly locked into accomodation..VpA, Oia, Baiona, Vigo, Pontevedra, CdR, Padron , SdC?
thanks anyone. Bom Caminho to all
From Vigo you can take the train to Redondela. Trainstation is down town -Vigo has a high and low part.
In Redondela it is about. 10 minutes walk to the center where the waymarkers are.
Vigo to Redondela is roadwalking
Look at the subforum at Variante Espiritual from Pontevedra to Padrón...a nice alternative.
Bom caminho

Last edited:

Hi

I will be walking on 24 November! I do hope it will not be too cold and wet! I may be walking the Interior Route, not coastal as I dont fancy being blown into tjhe Atlantic Ocean :eek:

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I expect to be home already by 24 November, but I hope it will be good for you! I am going to choose to be optimistic about the November weather. o_O I will start along the coast, the senda litoral, certainly for the first day out of Porto and after that I will see how the weather is. When/if it becomes impossible, I will revert to the (confusingly named) coastal route.
I may be walking the Interior Route, not coastal as I dont fancy being blown into tjhe Atlantic Ocean :eek:
And to continue the optimism, maybe the wind will blow us in from the ocean.;)

Last edited:
I expect to be home already by 24 November, but I hope it will be good for you! I am going to choose to be optimistic about the November weather. o_O I will start along the coast, the senda litoral, certainly for the first day ou of Porto and after that I will see how the weather is. When/if it becomes impossible, I will revert to the (confusingly named) coastal route.

And to continue the optimism, maybe the wind will blow us in from the ocean.;)

Hey @timr

Hahaha....! I do hope your optimism continues into the Camino. I like Porto, and love the food! Wanted to walk from Lisbon, but that would take me to Christmas, and I would not be forgiven if I did that..... so will do the whole Portugues again next year...

It is soooooo much cheaper to fly to Europe for the Camino than to walk in the UK..... a night in the hotel in Winchester would set me back £150 - even air fare to Porto is much less, despite flying from Gatwick!

Buen Camino

Ginette

Hey @timr

Hahaha....! I do hope your optimism continues into the Camino. I like Porto, and love the food! Wanted to walk from Lisbon, but that would take me to Christmas, and I would not be forgiven if I did that..... so will do the whole Portugues again next year...

It is soooooo much cheaper to fly to Europe for the Camino than to walk in the UK..... a night in the hotel in Winchester would set me back £150 - even air fare to Porto is much less, despite flying from Gatwick!

Buen Camino

Ginette
@AcrossTheWater3008
Hi Ginette
Absolutely! I am tempted to fly (from Dublin) to Lisbon to see the city, but won't have time to walk from there. I looked at Ryanair then from Lisbon to Porto........ €9.99
I know what will happen! I will enjoy it so much I will have to go back to Lisbon and start again next year.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@AcrossTheWater3008
Hi Ginette
Absolutely! I am tempted to fly (from Dublin) to Lisbon to see the city, but won't have time to walk from there. I looked at Ryanair then from Lisbon to Porto........ €9.99
I know what will happen! I will enjoy it so much I will have to go back to Lisbon and start again next year.

Hi @timr

I am flying out from Gatwick on Easyjet for 39.99£ and back from Santiago with Vueling for 26.99£ (incl taxes = £32). I might have a few days at Santiago, depending how fast I walk in the mud and rain.... :(

Will you be blogging your camino daily? I would love to read them so I know what to expect!

Bom Caminho

G

Hi @timr

I am flying out from Gatwick on Easyjet for 39.99£ and back from Santiago with Vueling for 26.99£ (incl taxes = £32). I might have a few days at Santiago, depending how fast I walk in the mud and rain.... :(

Will you be blogging your camino daily? I would love to read them so I know what to expect!

Bom Caminho

G
In fact one of the joys for me of the Camino is not blogging and going more or less offline for the duration. But I will keep in touch with the outside world and certainly try and put a post if there is any information that might be useful. Having said that, I have not even booked yet....I am walking Ruta Baztan at the end of this week and then have a marathon in Ljubljana to contend with before any excursion to Portugal.
I am still trying to find a cheap way home, if I go in November. Vueling to LGW is interesting, thanks for the tip. I can get very cheap Ryanair on to Dublin then.

In fact one of the joys for me of the Camino is not blogging and going more or less offline for the duration. But I will keep in touch with the outside world and certainly try and put a post if there is any information that might be useful. Having said that, I have not even booked yet....I am walking Ruta Baztan at the end of this week and then have a marathon in Ljubljana to contend with before any excursion to Portugal.
I am still trying to find a cheap way home, if I go in November. Vueling to LGW is interesting, thanks for the tip. I can get very cheap Ryanair on to Dublin then.

Hi @timr

Dont worry about not blogging..... I do understand what you mean! Gosh, you have a busy life! Good luck with your marathon and I do hope you get the flights you looking for..

G

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...
Barcelos was having a huge May 1 celebration when we passed through. There was a major unveiling of a sculpture titled Peregrina the following day—very big event. We weren’t there, so I lifted a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back