• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Positive experience at pilgrim office

Lowtide

Time of past OR future Camino
Fall 2022
I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed away, and I was unable to attend his funeral. I carried his funeral card with me every step, and had many chances to recall our friendship and lives. I placed a rock at Cruce de Ferro, hoping to unload any guilt I was feeling. Along the way I discovered 'vicariously pro' where you can ask to have another person name on your compesela. I explained this to the lady at the office and she knew all about it. When she gave me the compesela and explained it to me I had an emotional moment. She held my hand and was a huge comfort, and I didn't even think I would get emotional. Anyway, my thanks go out to the lady this evening, I took for granted the great job they do.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed away, and I was unable to attend his funeral. I carried his funeral card with me every step, and had many chances to recall our friendship and lives. I placed a rock at Cruce de Ferro, hoping to unload any guilt I was feeling. Along the way I discovered 'vicariously pro' where you can ask to have another person name on your compesela. I explained this to the lady at the office and she knew all about it. When she gave me the compesela and explained it to me I had an emotional moment. She held my hand and was a huge comfort, and I didn't even think I would get emotional. Anyway, my thanks go out to the lady this evening, I took for granted the great job they do.
It has been my experience over the years that the Camino Office people are very helpful....I am happy to hear that you had that positive experience too...

This is lovely to hear. I do a short and different Camino every year (about 7 so far) and don't always use The Pilgrim Office. Myself and my teenage son were treated very badly by the security guard at the office last year and it still really upsets me thinking about it. I'm not a soft sensitive person and have never had anything to complain about on any Camino so I put it down to the guard having a bad day. My son is accompanying me again this year on the condition that we don't go near The Pilgrim Office. I know the other staff are knowledgeable, kind and volunteers.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am so very glad you had a wonderful experience. I volunteered filling out compostelas in the Pilgrim Office for 2 weeks in 2018 and it was the experience of a lifetime. To my surprise, the Pilgrim Office staff who trained us said to spend as much time as needed with each pilgrim, and never to feel rushed regardless of how long the line (this was before the new app system). After spending my entire adult life working in offices where speed & efficiency were the priority, it was absolutely delightful to slow down and take time to focus on each pilgrim. I often shared tears with pilgrims who, like you, had their compostelas inscribed “in vicarie pro” (in memory of). Others were celebrating surviving cancer, marking personal anniversaries, or coming to the end of a Camino they had completed in small stages over several years. What an absolute honor to share this symbolic end-of-Camino moment with hundreds of pilgrims! Yes, even for the “turigrinos” who seemed eager just to get the rubber stamp, or were impatient, exhausted & frustrated by the long wait. (As we volunteers would note: Look, here is yet another face of God sent to teach us a lesson, or give us a gift!)

That’s a lovely experience which I’m sure you will treasure.

I went into the Pilgrim office last year after doing a quick Camino Inglés (post Camino Portugués) with the intention of getting a closing stamp (it was only about 77km) but the nice lady gave me a Compostela anyway. I came away very happy from that encounter.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, so my plans have slightly changed after completing the Coastal Portuguese and Finisterre/Muxia caminos on June 13. I now have 2 extra days in Santiago and was wondering where I should head...
Hi my name is Bren I have started a daily AA English speaking meeting At 3Rua da Porta da Pena Casa Anglicana 6-7pm daily. Spread the word
Hello, What time does the office close in Santiago today? The website lists different times in different places.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.