• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Confused over date format

Bedspring

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2024
Hello,

I have reserved a night in an Albergue and the confirmation says Fecha de entrada: 2024-06-05. In the UK we would write this as 05-06-2024, is that what this means, 5th June 2024, I am just checking as I think the USA write it differently.
Of course I could email the Albergue but I suspect they could be busy at the moment and could do with out extra work.

Thanks in advance :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello,

I have reserved a night in an Albergue and the confirmation says Fecha de entrada: 2024-06-05. In the UK we would write this as 05-06-2024, is that what this means, 5th June 2024, I am just checking as I think the USA write it differently.
Of course I could email the Albergue but I suspect they could be busy at the moment and could do with out extra work.

Thanks in advance :)

If you booked for 5th June this is what it means. The USA date convention (month/day) is often seen across European bookings sites.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There are 2 convenient ways to express a date:
- DD-MM-YYYY, mainly used for human beings.
- YYYY-MM-DD, more oriented to business processing.

If you find somebody, in Europe, who expresses a date according to MM-DD-YYYY, it should be an american guy !

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If it’s any consolation to those confused, I’m Latino, born and raised in PR, where we used the format “5 de junio de 2024” (05-06-2024), but…I’ve lived in the mainland US for so long that I’m now used to the American format 06-05-2024, so when I was booking my stays for the first few days in August, I panicked when I saw 07-08-2024 on the confirmation email, it took me a little while to realize that it read August 7, not July 8. So even I got confused, because my Spanish has gotten a bit rusty over the years. Also, I wasn’t aware of the different formats for humans and businesses as Pafayac mentioned above.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I made a mistake booking a train when I was inexperienced because I made our reservations based on the day of the week. I hadn't noticed that Spain's calendar week started on a Monday instead of our Sunday. The easy fix was to extend our stay in Barcelona by a day.
"**it happens" and I hope you had a great meal on the segundo dia. Thank God in Portugal, Sunday says something about our Lord and Monday is Segunda Feira or we would all be lost about calendar days.

The ISO format is yyyy-mm-dd. I find it much easier since when I see 03-05-2024, depending on the source, I can't tell if it is May 3rd or March 5th. With the ISO format there is no confusion.
Plus, when the date is in decreasing order (with leading zeros) at the start of the names of files their listings come up arranged in chronological and alphabetical order both.

Edit: Here's an example. You see the date and time in the filenames. Also below the filename in the American mm/dd/yy format. The time there is six hours off from that in the filename due to the time zone differences.
Screenshot_20240506-142952.png

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Safety in numbers, just do your bookings for 6/6, 7/7, 8/8....no worries.

You can improve this method by sleeping under a tent the 12 first days of each month, booking only from the 13th.
I was going to suggest the same but @Pafayac beat me to it. If you see anything like 2024-13-xx or xx-13-2024 you darn well know what that date is overall.
I remember when long time ago some folks were really "fancy" and they would do months in Roman numerals; some in their letters, diaries and what-have you went as far as do something like YY dd\mm in romans YY Today hence would be 20 03/V 24 (1800 here in US EST - the EU midnight just kicked in)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
- YYYY-MM-DD, more oriented to business processing.
Behind the scenes FWIW, all time stamps in software are recorded YYYY MM DD HH mm ss (and possibly further divisions of seconds if needed by the software, and certainly financial software records but does not usually make use of at least 10ths and 100ths of seconds).

When I was still writing software, I did occasionally come across some 20th Century software and programming habits that recorded dates in different formats (in the files that is), which were always murder to work with, as you had to waste considerable time correcting everything to work properly, including in relation to potential Y2K bugs.

Anyway, online booking between the US and Europe will always have a potential for confusion, and that's not dissimilar to software environments where differently formatted dates needed to be mutually intelligible -- which is how the standard YYYY MM DD HH mm ss has replaced all previous formats. It can still be displayed from that format according to local norms, and those divergent displays and print-outs in RW terms may be just as confusing as they were in IT environments.

There's another potential source of confusion in English date formats, as the 4th of May and May the 4th are equally acceptable, in both the US and the British Isles.

Beyond the shadow of a doubt: When is says fecha de entrada and has been communicated to you from an albergue in Spain then 2024-06-05 means 5th June 2024.

Tip: You asked about communication of a date to you so this is about general communication: In English, when discussing dates for a meeting, I always include the name of the day of the week and write: Wednesday 5 June 2024.

And if you want to know how 5th June is written by some of your fellow European peregrin@s in the way they are are familiar with, drop it into www.deepl.com.

Spanish: 5 de junio
French: 5 juin
Danish: 5. juni or den 5. juni

Whether de, dot, or no addition to the day's number, when a date is written in the long form, the day's number always comes first in these languages.

Beyond the shadow of a doubt: When is says fecha de entrada and has been communicated to you from an albergue in Spain then 2024-06-05 means 5th June 2024.

Tip: You asked about communication of a date to you so this is about general communication: In English, when discussing dates for a meeting, I always include the name of the day of the week and write: Wednesday 5 June 2024.

And if you want to know how 5th June is written by some of your fellow European peregrin@s in the way they are are familiar with, drop it into www.deepl.com.

Spanish: 5 de junio
French: 5 juin
Danish: 5. juni or den 5. juni

Whether de, dot, or no addition to the day's number, when a date is written in the long form, the day's number always comes first in these languages.
Most helpful, thank you.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I believe Spain, particularly business transactions, uses the ISO standard/format calendar; most significant number (year/yyyy), next significant (month/mm), then day number (dd).

Welcome to Europe!

Now that you have discovered the European date format, now we can move on to a discussion of comma as decimal point, slashes in the number seven, and many other European cultural differences.

This is just the first of many lessons. You have lots to learn about Europe!

-Paul

Welcome to Europe!

Now that you have discovered the European date format, now we can move on to a discussion of comma as decimal point, slashes in the number seven, and many other European cultural differences.

-Paul
How about jacket zippers? Europe zippers are inserted rightie while leftie in US. Tylenol/Acetaminophen (Paracetamol) pills with 1000 mg each. Clothing product tags are almost a foot long, an inch maybe in US.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Welcome to Europe!

@pjacobi: Please note that the OP @Bedspring is from the UK. It says so in the profile information and in the first post ("In the UK we would write").

We here on the Continent still regard the UK as part of Europe. Even when our common motto (it is "United in Diversity" - very appropriate albeit not widely known) ceased to be applicable to the OP's part of Europe since a few years ago ... :cool:

Have you ever thought about using letters for the month. That’s what I did at Via Francigena. I translated the three months using from German to French and wrote it that way. No confusing at all.

We here on the Continent still regard the UK as part of Europe. Even when our common motto (it is "United in Diversity" - very appropriate albeit not widely known) ceased to be applicable to the OP's part of Europe since a few years ago ... :cool:
I'm not arguing, merely stating a fact. There should be no "we regard" since UK geographically IS Europe! Everything West of Ural mountains is Europe. Just because UK is no longer a member of EU it didn’t somehow physically and mystically got transported into a different realm
Have you ever thought about using letters for the month. That’s what I did at Via Francigena. I translated the three months using from German to French and wrote it that way. No confusing at all.
I think the issue here was not so much what OP wrote but what their confirmation said. As such, yeah, go tell the rest of the world how they should write stuff.... good luck 🤣

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm not arguing, merely stating a fact. There should be no "we regard" since UK geographically IS Europe!
Trust me, I am well aware of the discussions of where "Europe" ends and what the word "Europe" can stand for. The comment I made was obviously a bit tongue in cheek because @pjacobi (and others) may not be aware of the diversity and the fact that there is no such thing as a "European" date format - the sequence of the digits perhaps but not the format of the date in written form - see the use of dots, slashes, and other finer points of numerous differences. @pjacobi's post to which my reply referred started with the comment "Welcome to Europe" although the OP is from the UK!!!

Context, as always, is everything.

merely stating a fact
I can't access the OED because I don't have an account. However, from what I see they have two definitions for "Europe". One is something like "a northern continent connected to Asia" and the other one is something like "the European Union and its predecessors". Has come into use since 1957.

British English.

I love merely stating a fact. :cool:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Everything West of Ural mountains is Europe.
I don't consider where I am from part of Europe and it is certainly west of the Ural mountains. The UK is clearly not part of continental Europe, being islands. Where you want to draw the line in the ocean is a political decision. And, of course, we don't want to get into politics. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Of course not! B-b-but David, there IS no ocean between the Continent and the islands! 😅 ✌️
Erm … there is. The part of the Atlantic Ocean that is known as La Manche and also as the English Channel is, well, part of the Atlantic Ocean. :cool:

Last edited:
Of course not! B-b-but David, there IS no ocean between the Continent and the islands! 😅 ✌️
I always thought that the water that laps against the shores of France and Belgium and the Netherlands was the Atlantic Ocean and there is no practical difference between that water and the water between the islands of the United Kingdom and Continental Europe. The English Channel is part of the Atlantic Ocean, so that's the ocean you seem to be missing.

Now do you consider St. Pierre and Miquelon (part of France) to be Europe or North America? What about Greenland and/or Iceland? As I said, once you leave the continent it is all about where you draw the line

I always thought that the water that laps against the shores of France and Belgium and the Netherlands was the Atlantic Ocean and there is no practical difference between that water and the water between the islands of the United Kingdom and Continental Europe.
Except for inland seas isn't all the water in all the oceans and seas connected?😉

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
the Channels is an ARM of Atlantic ocean, just an arm :) Ok seriously reckon I do have to apologize as I honestly did not think it was a part of AO; I always considered it as a "gulf" of a sort. Guess I am wrong

St. Pierre and Miquelon though is an archipelago which geographically belongs to North America continent. Politically, yes it is French but it is not a part of Europe in a geographical sense

Most read last week in this forum

I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time. This article is for those of...
Hi all, I have access to data on arrivals of pilgrims to Santiago by day, country, age, gender, departure point, route, reason and means used. Based on this data, I am analysing it to develop a...
Currently I am in Burgos resting up from a knee injury. I am not giving up the possibility of continuing on foot, but in the meantime I would like ideas of options in the event that I can not...
....asked me to remind you that May 12 is the Feast of Santo Domingo de la Calzada.
As I watched the aurora Friday night (west coast Canada) I was thinking how wonderful it would be to see it along the camino. Wondering if anyone currently walking or living along the camino saw...
Hi there, I will be walking Camino Primitivo soon and I still have some questions that you could maybe help me to answer. As I would like to avoid to bring unnecessary things with me. 1. I do...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.