• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Possible Itinerary

PepperPat

Time of past OR future Camino
8/29/2022
I'm planning to fly into Biarritz on the 8/28, take a train to St.Jean Pied de Port, and start my walk on the 29th of August. I'd like to travel with just my backpack and store a suitcase in SJPdP...possible? One friend, who has been on the walk suggested that by September, I should have no trouble finding a bed. Another comment suggests a big September rush. Will I be able to just find a place to sleep, when I get there each night? Am just after a clean space and occasionally, a shower.
Thank you!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'd like to travel with just my backpack and store a suitcase in SJPdP...possible?
Assuming that you plan to walk to Santiago you can use the service of Express Bouricott to send your extra luggage to Santiago - that way you don't need to return to St Jean. I've used their service twice, and it worked flawlessly.

One friend, who has been on the walk suggested that by September, I should have no trouble finding a bed. Another comment suggests a big September rush.
Your friend is wrong. September is THE most popular month for pilgrims to start from St Jean.

Pilgrims departing from St Jean Pied de Port by Month 2019.png

In particular the first week of September.

Weekly graph 2017.JPG

So much so that pilgrims have to taxi ahead as far as Pamplona to get a bed in the early days. I would recommend booking the first several days. After Pamplona the pilgrim traffic spreads out, as there are more intermediate towns to stop in.

Am just after a clean space and occasionally, a shower.

If you pay for a bed in an albergue you always can have a shower too - your fellow pilgrims will thank you if it's not just an occasional shower. 😉

I'm planning to fly into Biarritz on the 8/28, take a train to St.Jean Pied de Port, and start my walk on the 29th of August. I'd like to travel with just my backpack and store a suitcase in SJPdP...possible? One friend, who has been on the walk suggested that by September, I should have no trouble finding a bed. Another comment suggests a big September rush. Will I be able to just find a place to sleep, when I get there each night? Am just after a clean space and occasionally, a shower.
Thank you!
September is busy, particularly early September. I remember seeing a graph recently and I don't think there was much difference between late August and early September. If it was me, I'd book until Pamplona, there isn't that much accommodation in that section. I have walked that section without booking (started 1 sept 2016), and was lucky to get beds, as I always arrived quite early. Slower walkers sometimes had issues and had to be prepared to go to another town or village. At Roncesvalles I arrived around 2, they started taking people in at 3, but people were still arriving at 10pm, and having to be taxied. When I walked late May into June it was less busy.
You'll always find a bed, depends on whether you are prepared to walk on or taxi if necessary. If you're happy with albergues that's always easier.
I would think that the better option would be to send your suitcase on to Santiago for when you finish, or for a small fee usually 5 euros or so, you can send it on every day.
It depends a lot on whether you want to book ahead, as you'll need a destination to send it to each day. Do you need anything from it during the walk?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
September is busy, particularly early September. I remember seeing a graph recently and I don't think there was much difference between late August and early September. If it was me, I'd book until Pamplona, there isn't that much accommodation in that section. I have walked that section without booking (started 1 sept 2016), and was lucky to get beds, as I always arrived quite early. Slower walkers sometimes had issues and had to be prepared to go to another town or village. At Roncesvalles I arrived around 2, they started taking people in at 3, but people were still arriving at 10pm, and having to be taxied. When I walked late May into June it was less busy.
You'll always find a bed, depends on whether you are prepared to walk on or taxi if necessary. If you're happy with albergues that's always easier.
I would think that the better option would be to send your suitcase on to Santiago for when you finish, or for a small fee usually 5 euros or so, you can send it on every day.
It depends a lot on whether you want to book ahead, as you'll need a destination to send it to each day. Do you need anything from it during the walk?
I think, if I just have my backpack, I will not need anything from my suitcase. I have been a backpacker, know how to wash out my clothes, won't be carrying a tent, etc., so was planning to head back to St.Jean Pied de Port after my walk, then to St.Emilion, (where hopefully, my husband would meet me) before heading home. There, I would need my suitcase. Another question would be: do you wear out your shoes? I might want a spare pair if hiking boots with me, as I'm difficult to fit?

Assuming that you plan to walk to Santiago you can use the service of Express Bouricott to send your extra luggage to Santiago - that way you don't need to return to St Jean. I've used their service twice, and it worked flawlessly.

Your friend is wrong. September is THE most popular month for pilgrims to start from St Jean.

View attachment 130695

In particular the first week of September.

View attachment 130696

So much so that pilgrims have to taxi ahead as far as Pamplona to get a bed in the early days. I would recommend booking the first several days. After Pamplona the pilgrim traffic spreads out, as there are more intermediate towns to stop in.

If you pay for a bed in an albergue you always can have a shower too - your fellow pilgrims will thank you if it's not just an occasional shower. 😉
I get your point regarding body odor and would NOT want to force that on anyone. There is a plus to getting older (not many!) and no longer having those active swear glands! One can clean up without showering and drying out the skin!

I think, if I just have my backpack, I will not need anything from my suitcase. I have been a backpacker, know how to wash out my clothes, won't be carrying a tent, etc., so was planning to head back to St.Jean Pied de Port after my walk, then to St.Emilion, (where hopefully, my husband would meet me) before heading home. There, I would need my suitcase. Another question would be: do you wear out your shoes? I might want a spare pair if hiking boots with me, as I'm difficult to fit?
I have to say that, after spending more than a month on the Camino wearing the same two outfits every day, that it is quite exciting to collect my suitcase with my "civilian" clothes. That's why I choose to send my extra suitcase to Santiago.

I have never worn out my shoes, and I think that will be the consensus of most here. If you are especially concerned though, you can send a back up pair to a post office along the Camino to pick up approximately half way or farther - maybe León?
Information on the Correos site:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I now walk in sandals. But my first 2 caminos were in shoes. They just lasted the distance, but were completely worn out, no tread, almost no cushioning by Santiago. I never took a spare pair, just flip flops for wandering around in evenings.
I would never wear boots, this is not a wilderness hike. A few people do, but remember for the most part you are walking on a path. And September is hot, early September can be really hot. The first time I walked it was high 30's, most people, me included , were having to come up with strategies for dealing with the heat. Lots of people traded in their boots for shoes in the bigger cities. I saw a beautiful pair of gorgeous hiking boots stuffed in a bin outside the outdoor shop in Leon. I knew they were super expensive, almost brand new, and even in my size, but walked right past.
There are definitely the shoe, sandal and boot camps. Finding out about sandals was the best thing.
I have the most difficult feet to fit of anyone I know, needing custom orthotics, and specific shoes/sandals. If I had a pair lost or stolen during the Camino the process to replace takes literally months and it would ruin my Camino. I take steps to ensure no-one can take or wear my shoes.

I now walk in sandals. But my first 2 caminos were in shoes. They just lasted the distance, but were completely worn out, no tread, almost no cushioning by Santiago. I never took a spare pair, just flip flops for wandering around in evenings.
I would never wear boots, this is not a wilderness hike. A few people do, but remember for the most part you are walking on a path. And September is hot, early September can be really hot. The first time I walked it was high 30's, most people, me included , were having to come up with strategies for dealing with the heat. Lots of people traded in their boots for shoes in the bigger cities. I saw a beautiful pair of gorgeous hiking boots stuffed in a bin outside the outdoor shop in Leon. I knew they were super expensive, almost brand new, and even in my size, but walked right past.
There are definitely the shoe, sandal and boot camps. Finding out about sandals was the best thing.
I have the most difficult feet to fit of anyone I know, needing custom orthotics, and specific shoes/sandals. If I had a pair lost or stolen during the Camino the process to replace takes literally months and it would ruin my Camino. I take steps to ensure no-one can take or wear my shoes.
I get that, me too! When I hiked the West Highland Way in May, my friends, especially ones that had done it before, wore trail runners. I wouldn't wear a backpacking boot, just a lighter hiking boot, because I really like the ankle support, and like being laced in, can wear them all day.
Everyone has been so helpful, thank you!
My plane tickets are changeable and now am thinking about moving this trip to later... starting middle to the end of September and into October.
Is the weather friendly at this time of year? This is a trip I had to cancel nine years ago. Am now looking to spend my 68th birthday walking in thought and prayer.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I too walk the Camino now in hiking sandals after dumping a pair of expensive hiking shoes in the trash in Pamplona. Teva and Keen are brands that I’ve used. I also use a thin pair of short polyester socks. It’s so nice now to end the Camino without any blisters and all 10 toenails! If I have a spot on my foot that is starting to heat up I immediately cover that spot with a piece of athletic tape. It comes off before the afternoon shower and is replaced the following morning. Another suggestion is that there are podiatrists in all the larger cities—you can find them on Google maps. If you are experiencing discomfort as you walk, it is well worth the €20-30 a visit to the foot doctor costs. Sometimes the fix is something quite simple. I’m guessing that a lot of the complaints about the Meseta are about foot pain. If you’re feeling pain in Pamplona or Burgos, your Camino may be in jeopardy and getting the problem solved is well worth the time and expense.

Last edited:
Walked 5 camiinos and NEVER Pre-Booked. Always found somewhere to sleep. Locals on the Caminos like to joke that a re-make of the movie is being made...This time they always pre-book and always use taxis to carry their packs. People will probably like it better than the first movie. And next re-make will just be a bus ride from SJPDP to Santiago.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
PM me if you are interested in staying in gite near St. Emilion. I have friend with one that is about a 30 minute drive from town. You can access St. Emilion by train and take a short walk up to town also, but if you plan to see more than the shops and cellars there you will need a car.

I too walk the Camino now in hiking sandals after dumping a pair of expensive hiking shoes in the trash in Pamplona. Teva and Keen are brands that I’ve used. I also use a thin pair of short polyester socks. It’s so nice now to end the Camino without any blisters and all 10 toenails! If I have a spot on my foot that is starting to heat up I immediately cover that spot with a piece of athletic tape. It comes off before the afternoon shower and is replaced the following morning. Another suggestion is that there are podiatrists in all the larger cities—you can find them on Google maps. If you are experiencing discomfort as you walk, it is well worth the €20-30 a visit to the foot doctor costs. Sometimes the fix is something quite simple. I’m guessing that a lot of the complaints about the Meseta are about foot pain. If you’re feeling pain in Pamplona or Burgos, your Camino may be in jeopardy and getting the problem solved is well worth the time and expense.
Thank you... I agree. Your feet carry your body and need to be taken care of. My feet tend to prefer Oboz and even then, put orthotics in. Having a low volume foot (can't even begin to fill a Hoka), there are probably few I haven't tried. It's good to know that there are podiatrists on the way. I haven't had lots of experience finding a narrow enough shoe with support in Europe, but that may be for lack of knowledge. Perhaps that is my concern. I've walked long distances with the right support.

PM me if you are interested in staying in gite near St. Emilion. I have friend with one that is about a 30 minute drive from town. You can access St. Emilion by train and take a short walk up to town also, but if you plan to see more than the shops and cellars there you will need a car.
Thank you... just may take you up on that!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I get your point regarding body odor and would NOT want to force that on anyone. There is a plus to getting older (not many!) and no longer having those active swear glands! One can clean up without showering and drying out the skin!
Or sweat glands!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back