• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Post camino notes and thoughts

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 19th Aug - 19th September 2015

Camino Del Norte + Camino Primitivo in the summer of 2016
Hello pilgrims,

Sadly, I am suffering a lot from the post-camino blues. It's been almost a month since I came back home. Still I feel miserable whenever I think about the joy of the Camino. I have been writing down some notes here and there. Sometimes when I am at work I just find myself describing the Camino in different ways. I miss it so incredibly much. Sometimes I see pictures from the Camino, and people who are walking the way right now, and I just get tears in my eyes. I am really not satisfied with where I am right now I guess, but I feel like I'm doing my best to move in the right direction. Anyway, I just feel like sharing my notes with some people who understand.

The Camino is life and love, and breathing and being. I love to walk and see, and smell and be. Like some men have the love for steel and fire, I love the air and nature. Using and exhausting my legs is like medication for my mind, my being, my religion, my feeling.

Oh the people you meet. Those sweet people. How much have I learned from them, I cannot tell, for I have learned countless lessons and probably taught some myself. Another plus-side is my English; I have improved my English a lot, haha!

I miss the long, high and beautiful roads of the Camino. I miss the peace, the sound of dirt being crushed beneath my boots in a rhythmic, constant, reassuring way. I miss watching the birds fly and dance with each other in the air, while listening to my one true life companion talking and laughing, and feeling like I never ever want to go home. Now I only wish to return and walk those paths day by day, again and again. How I miss the Camino! There is nothing but love for life on the way. Nothing but that!

To walk or not to walk, that is the real question. For once you walk, you are. Being is not an option. You think! You talk! You laugh! You cry! You feel life enclose around yourself, and hold you, and you learn to love yourself the way life loves you too.

Tears fill my eyes whenever I see your pictures. You are there, right now and I am not. I feel happy for you, but I am jealous of you too. Why do I feel this way? I should not be sad, but happy. It happened to me too, but every memory feels like a distant dream. I am afraid of waking up and realizing it never happened. Or maybe just realizing it's over. It's over. It's over. I'ts over. But someone told me it's only just beginning?

Why is this experience controlling my life? Why can't I forget it and be happy? Why is a random path so incredibly special? I don't understand. I feel angry, but I also feel so much love. Maybe I'm not finished yet.

Maybe I'll upload some more notes in this thread after some time. I'll see.

Much love from Scandinavia.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wish you the greatest success in continuing your Camino, even after you have stopped walking. Learning how to take the joy and lessons you were taught and translating them to your life after the Camino is also part of your journey. There is also joy in memories as well as a chance to return and walk another time.

BTW, if you do walk again, remember that Camino experiences are never the same the second or third time. Better or worse? That's hard to say but definitely different.

Buen Camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Like you I also struggle with being separated from the Camino. When someone asks about my experience I am told I light up....and express my experience with such emotion. I am frustrated with the feelings I can never really explain the importance of the experience and the attachment I have to my Camino Family.......
Sometimes I feel I am close to understanding why my Camino experience became so deeply attached to my internal compass. I feel a need The Camino satisfies....a sort of addiction? I am hoping returning will provide clarity.
Of course I will and must return. I'm planning to be back on the road next September......

I've had varying degrees of post-Camino blues after each walk. They eventually pass and become something much more positive and uplifting. Each Camino gave me exactly what I needed at that particular time and I am so grateful for all the people and experiences that made this possible.

I also think that being outdoors for so many hours a day is a big part of the Camino 'high'. Most of us then return to a very different life and it can be hard to settle back into a work regime. I've found that getting outdoors as much as possible alleviates the 'lows' and helps me to reconnect with the happy Camino feeling.

Over the past year or so, I've had the great privilege of helping friends, family and others prepare for their Camino. For me, this is such a good way of dispelling the post-Camino blues. Even with the inevitable pangs of jealousy, it's so nice to share the Camino spirit - and recruit a few new Camino-holics!

@Skandinaviangirl - you are not the first and you won't be the last person to feel unsettled after their Camino. Your journey may be a catalyst for change or for moving forward, or it may just be a matter of allowing yourself time to process the experience. The Camino is an assault on the senses and a very special experience. I think that we can only articulate some of it words - other aspects are experienced and processed at a different level. I suppose that brings an emotional impact that often defies logical explanation.

Hello pilgrims,

Sadly, I am suffering a lot from the post-camino blues. It's been almost a month since I came back home. Still I feel miserable whenever I think about the joy of the Camino. I have been writing down some notes here and there. Sometimes when I am at work I just find myself describing the Camino in different ways. I miss it so incredibly much. Sometimes I see pictures from the Camino, and people who are walking the way right now, and I just get tears in my eyes. I am really not satisfied with where I am right now I guess, but I feel like I'm doing my best to move in the right direction. Anyway, I just feel like sharing my notes with some people who understand.

The Camino is life and love, and breathing and being. I love to walk and see, and smell and be. Like some men have the love for steel and fire, I love the air and nature. Using and exhausting my legs is like medication for my mind, my being, my religion, my feeling.

Oh the people you meet. Those sweet people. How much have I learned from them, I cannot tell, for I have learned countless lessons and probably taught some myself. Another plus-side is my English; I have improved my English a lot, haha!

I miss the long, high and beautiful roads of the Camino. I miss the peace, the sound of dirt being crushed beneath my boots in a rhythmic, constant, reassuring way. I miss watching the birds fly and dance with each other in the air, while listening to my one true life companion talking and laughing, and feeling like I never ever want to go home. Now I only wish to return and walk those paths day by day, again and again. How I miss the Camino! There is nothing but love for life on the way. Nothing but that!

To walk or not to walk, that is the real question. For once you walk, you are. Being is not an option. You think! You talk! You laugh! You cry! You feel life enclose around yourself, and hold you, and you learn to love yourself the way life loves you too.

Tears fill my eyes whenever I see your pictures. You are there, right now and I am not. I feel happy for you, but I am jealous of you too. Why do I feel this way? I should not be sad, but happy. It happened to me too, but every memory feels like a distant dream. I am afraid of waking up and realizing it never happened. Or maybe just realizing it's over. It's over. It's over. I'ts over. But someone told me it's only just beginning?

Why is this experience controlling my life? Why can't I forget it and be happy? Why is a random path so incredibly special? I don't understand. I feel angry, but I also feel so much love. Maybe I'm not finished yet.

Thank you for your post,it helps me realise I am not the only one who feels exactly what you wrote.We suffer from a disease that I call "Caminoitis" and not only is it uncureable, but it is not understood by most,often those closest to us.Time will help you move forward and keeping in touch with the forum will give you comfort ,advice and answers to any questions you may have.God Bless and Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What you are feeling is so common. Sillydoll (a generous and frequent poster) said, "Who could imagine that you would miss your backpack, but you do." And it is so true. Be patient with yourself. You will surprise yourself by finding in a little while that you are happy, and a couple of years later, like so many of us, you will find yourself setting out on another camino, whether the Frances again or one of the many other paths.

Hello pilgrims,

What a wonderful post,and by writing I think you have brought comfort to so many people who are feeling the same. Myself for one!! We finished our camino in July and I still feel unsettled and just want to start it all over again. We have walked a lot of the caminos and I don't know why, but this is the first time that I have felt unsettled after returning and although our first one in 2005 was a wonderful experience ( camino France's) this time around it was even better. We are still in contact with some people that we met on these caminos and they too feel as you do. Each time on leavingSantiago I buy a few things that remind me of the way e.g a ceramic plaque of that camino,a yellow arrow which is outside our front door,another one on the back of the car,postcards and photos that I have framed, a few shells on the walls,our first credentials that we have framed --- don't laugh please!! Anyway you get the gist that our home has become a bit of a shrine to the Camino. Guess I may be a suitable case for treatment!! And to cap it all I may just have brainwashed my two 4 year old grandsons that we will walk the Camino when they are 9 or 10 and they now talk often about " the Camino". Of course so many of us feel as you do, otherwise for heavens sake why would we be on this forum so often!!!! A connection to the way we felt when we walked " that way"I suppose.please do not lose that joyful feeling that you previously had, and don't be sad . Just look foreward to planning your next Camino. Best wishes to you.

As everyone has so very well written you are not alone, that's why some of us hang out on this forum. We have the Camino addiction!
I think it is very tough on our spouses who have not walked, as it simply such an experience. So you can stare at a wall or simply get creative as how you can return. In the mean time think about what made it so special & try your best to live it. Take long walks in the rain, fall in the mud, or try to organize a walk to the nearest mountain top. It is so hard to reproduce but keep trying!
Keith

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am inspired by your words.

I too came home this year and settled into a funk. It lasted a couple of months.

I even didn't visit this site for a while. (gasp!)

And then I booked a ticket, to visit Spain again.

The flight out is soo relaxing. Knowing what's instore.

Arrive, take a train, maybe a bus and a taxi, not easy an easy day, but so worth it.

That first place, a chance to practice another language.

Then wake up, eat breakfast, walk, lunch, walk, find place, shower, laundry, dinner, sleep.

Wake up and do it all again, over and over again. With friends.

I have 7 months again to wait. Can't wait. Living it here again.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello pilgrims,

Try taking what you have learned on the Camino and embedding some of it into your daily life. I have found the Camino to be an introspective journey where I learn about myself. The key, imo, is to take the gift it has given us home and make changes that improve the life we have chosen.

Ultreya,
Joe

Try taking what you have learned on the Camino and embedding some of it into your daily life. I have found the Camino to be an introspective journey where I learn about myself. The key, imo, is to take the gift it has given us home and make changes that improve the life we have chosen.

Ultreya,
Joe
Exactly. Very well said.

Hello pilgrims,

I think one off the things that happens for pilgrims is a falling away of all that iss not essential in life. We return to the life we left behind and realize the superficiality of it. Unless you are bound hand and foot to job, spouse, bills whatever then I say keep walking. You had a soul encounter out there and your authentic wild self craves more. Check out the book Soul Craft by Bill Plotkin

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think one off the things that happens for pilgrims is a falling away of all that iss not essential in life. We return to the life we left behind and realize the superficiality of it. Unless you are bound hand and foot to job, spouse, bills whatever then I say keep walking. You had a soul encounter out there and your authentic wild self craves more. Check out the book Soul Craft by Bill Plotkin
What you say may be true, for you. I simply know that my children, grandchildren& spouse depend on me to lead by example, the Camino is very important to me but not as important as my family. The real world supports that.
Keith

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello pilgrims,

Hi and welcome to addiction club.
Wish you well and more great journey's around Spain, Peter.

Thank you for your beautiful words, Skandinaviangirl. I can very much relate, especially to the mixture of joy and sadness when seeing others' photos who are currently walking. As for my post-Camino blues, I identified 12 "Camino practices" that I did on the Camino that can also be done at home (e.g., listen to my body, unplug, savor food and drink, every day just get up and keep walking). I am taking one practice a week and incorporating it into my daily life. (I am on week 2!) If you would like to see how I am dealing with the blues, visit http://myloveoflearning.com/2015/10/walking-the-way-at-home/ And, I would love to hear from you as you continue on your journey. - Mary Anne

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello pilgrims,

I too finished my latest Camino a month ago and this one felt incomplete in a way my previous ones did not. I have felt sad about this. I at times felt almost bitter at normal life post return; however this I know is not right and I have stopped allowing myself to fall into this mind-set, because it is not fair to myself and all the Camino has given me. I feel I will return possibly very soon, but right now I cannot return so I accept this and I trust that when the right moment comes which might be very soon I will grasp this and go. Until then I trust in the process and embrace the now.

However alien it may feel relish what your ordinary life gives you. I know this can be hard but there is always something however small so cling to that small thing in life post Camino and let it make you happy and it will fill the emptiness of that post Camino feeling. This is reinforcing. A positive mindset is always more conducive to building on that understanding and knowledge from your Camino. When the moment comes I am sure you will know when you need to return; until then treat each day as if it were a continuation of your Camino which took you to Santiago a month ago and if it is right it will carry you back to Santiago again.

Dear everyone,

Wow. I never imagined so many replies to my thread! Thank you so incredibly much for sharing your feelings and advice. I cannot tell you how humbled and happy I feel whenever I read your replies.

I am trying to adapt what the Camino taught me into my daily life. But simply thinking about it is not enough, I need to brainstorm and write that down too to truly reconnect with those feelings, thoughts and ideas I had on the way.

I have been writing with my Camino friends and talking with my boyfriend. We went together. The thing that disturbs me though, is the fact that he is totally alright. He is happy about everything, the memories and joy of the way, but also really happy to be home with his job and family again. Every time he talks about our trip it feels weird to me, because sometimes the memories feels more like dreams I had, and when he speaks about it, I realize it actually happened.

Thank you ever so much for all of your words. Please continue if you feel like sharing even more!

Much love,

Skandinaviangirl

Thank you for your post. I too have been back for a month now and am going through the same post Camino blues. I know that my Camino has only begun and I am grateful for my journey.

It is not an easy journey.... The Camino has changed me while everything else in my world remains the same.

I am a work in progress and I long for the days on the Camino. I look for the arrows to point the way and though I know which way to go I am afraid, because change is hard and scary and many times can hurt.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back