• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Post-Camino withdrawal symptoms / blues

Hello, all. I got back from the camino two days ago. I had a wonderful experience walking from Sarria to Santiago. I spent my entire first day back in bed (presumably to catch up on sleep and rest), and noticed yesterday that I could have done the same if not for an appointment with a new camino friend who happens to be touring London after her camino (so I met up with her, and it was great to see each other in "normal" clothes!).

I have found myself strangely not fully "back yet" -- I look at my watch and have caught myself translating it into camino-timelines (i.e. around this time I would have been taking a lunch break, around this time I would have been having my second coffee break, etc). I look back at my camino week and relish how life was so simple then -- no choices, no dilemmas. Just a pre-defined path ahead of me, pre-booked accommodation. My only job was to put one foot in front of the other and be strong.

And now, after the camino, there is a "what's next" question in my head. What am I walking towards? Not sure if these are questions I should have "solved" along the way, but I didn't then. And now, having reached my destination, I do feel quite lost / empty. Weird. A kind of hanging, unfinished-journey feeling.

Has anyone ever had any post-camino blues? If I could have my way, I would be on a plane back to the camino, this time doing it from St Jean, pronto!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Know just how you feel . Walked from StJPdP to Santo Domingo last October and since then have been reading the forums, rejigging my packing list, deciding what I can do without, what I would do differently etc all in preparation for when I restart my camino this October. Can't wait :))

I got back last week after walking from SJPP to Santiago. I'm not exactly sad to be back - I missed my husband and my dog and am happy to wake up with them every morning - but I definitely feel a bit untethered. I spent nearly a year looking forward to the camino, learning Spanish, walking, figuring out what to bring with me, and now that I'm done I feel a bit lost. I always get the blues when coming back from a long trip, and the camino is a very strange alternate universe that I wasn't quite ready to leave.

I think that what I need is something new to look forward to. I'm not sure what yet, although my dad and I have talked about walking Le Puy in two years' time!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
And now, having reached my destination, I do feel quite lost / empty. Weird. A kind of hanging, unfinished-journey feeling.

Has anyone ever had any post-camino blues? If I could have my way, I would be on a plane back to the camino, this time doing it from St Jean, pronto!

Yep, that's why us old-timers keep hanging around in this forum. The good news is that the Camino is not going anywhere. It will welcome you back when the time is right to go again.

My suggestion is to apply the lesson of the Camino to live the moment. That means embracing your "normal" life and thoroughly experiencing every precious moment. Look at it with fresh eyes; change what you know needs to be changed, enjoy what does not. Reconnect with people.

And in your idle moments work out a strategy so you can do the long walk...

I really and truly can't wait to experience post-Camino blues because it will mean I have been able to walk my first Camino :D

God willing, 25th of May will see me starting from StJPDP.

Meanwhile, for those with the 'blues', I both feel sorry for you and envy you at the same timeo_O

Buen Camino

Thank you for all your replies. I think the camino for me was a sort of retreat -- a pulling away from all the trappings of life -- and boy did it feel great! And as you say, the lesson of living the moment is important. Today is also another opportunity given to me, and I should take it with the same grateful pilgrim heart I discovered on the camino. I definitely need something to look forward to as well. I will think of that next big thing (another camino?), but also, find something smaller in the everyday to look forward to. I suspect I need to look beyond myself (i.e. not just something that will be fun for me alone, but maybe something that helps others too.)... and hopefully that thought will open up a vast array of options out there. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sarah,

For some of us the wonder shall never stop.

From 2004 through 2013 I have walked the Camino Frances in its entirety
nine times. Each pilgrimage developed into a rich mix of old friends and
new, fickleness of weather, stamina and health and, most importantly,
philosophical musings and personal thanksgiving for each day lived.
... Subsequently providing information about the Camino has become a particular pleasure whether talking with another pilgrim or writing alone for an unknown reader;
since 2009 sharing and participating in this unique Forum is now part of my daily life.
Now at 75 I continue look forward to the next time.

"The end of one journey is simply the start of another. You have to see what you missed the first time, see again what you already saw, see in springtime what you saw in summer, in daylight what you saw at night, see the sun shining where you saw the rain falling, see crops growing, the fruit ripen, the stone which has moved, the shadow that was not there before. You have to go back to the footsteps already taken, to go over them again or add fresh ones alongside them. You have to start the journey anew. Always"
Jose Saramago, A Journey to Portugal

Ultreia,

Margaret Meredith

I have had post-camino blues since my first Camino in 2011. I go back at the end of this month and I'm dreading returning home already.
Last year I walked a section to Leon and while my own Camino was over this time around, I couldn't help checking in with my "family" who were still walking to Santiago.

When I returned from my first Camino in 2012, I was really confused! Transitioning back into “normal” life was really difficult and I had no one to talk to abut it. I didn’t know about the “Post Camino Blues” syndrome. Friends were beginning to roll their eyes and family kinda said “yeah Mom”. I didn’t know about this wonderful forum or about the American Pilgrims on the Camino and the Portlandia chapter. I leave on May 9th for my 2nd Camino and will walk all the way to Finisterre/Muxia from SJPdP, taking six glorious weeks to do it. When I return home, transitioning back will still be tough, but I will have my friend and neighbor who is going with me to talk to, I’ll have this forum to “talk” to and I’ll have the monthly walks with the Portlandia chapter of the APOC to take part in. I could’t ask for a better support group!! And, of course, my family and friends will listen to my stories and watch my slide shows...for a while :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As I get ready to go on my first Camino, I find myself a little envious of those planning on going in the Fall! Silly, isn't it? I have already been bitten by this Camino bug, I will definitely continue some kind of involvement post-first Camino. I see myself volunteering either at the pilgrims office in SJPDP or possibly in Santiago (or both, who knows). Once I am home I am definitely going to look into our American Camino Organization.

Kris

As I get ready to go on my first Camino, I find myself a little envious of those planning on going in the Fall! Silly, isn't it? I have already been bitten by this Camino bug, I will definitely continue some kind of involvement post-first Camino. I see myself volunteering either at the pilgrims office in SJPDP or possibly in Santiago (or both, who knows). Once I am home I am definitely going to look into our American Camino Organization.

Kris

Kris, I find myself feeling the same way..reading that pilgrims are planning to start in the fall and here I am, just 5 days from departure for Spain and 9 days from starting my walk. It’s here too soon and even though I’m taking 6 weeks to complete it..well, I won’t go there...I just won’t think about it being over before it has even started. Get a grip, Patty :)

Last edited:
Kris, I find myself feeling the same way..reading that pilgrims are planning to start in the fall and here I am, just 5 days from departure for Spain and 9 days from starting my walk. It’s here too soon and even though I’m taking 6 weeks to complete it..well, I won’t go there...I just won’t think about it being over before it has even started. Get a grip, Patty :)
Patty,
Looks like you will be about a week ahead of me. I leave SJPP May 18th but leave home in Michigan May 15th. My return from SDC is June 27th. It doesn't seem likely I will run into you but I will be thinking of you blazing the way before me. Buen Camino!
Stefania

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Patty,
Looks like you will be about a week ahead of me. I leave SJPP May 18th but leave home in Michigan May 15th. My return from SDC is June 27th. It doesn't seem likely I will run into you but I will be thinking of you blazing the way before me. Buen Camino!
Stefania

Actually Stefania, I’m only 4 days ahead of you if you start on May 18th. I’ll walk out of SJPdP on May 14th. I’m older than dirt and am on the robust side, so I am pretty slow. So, you may very well catch up and overtake me. I am planning on walking into SDC on June 25. After a days rest, I’ll walk on to Finisterre/Muxia. I fly home on July 8th. I’ll still blaze the way out of SJPdP for you.

[QUOTE="Has anyone ever had any post-camino blues? If I could have my way, I would be on a plane back to the camino, this time doing it from St Jean, pronto![/QUOTE]

sounds like you really got something out of your experience Sarah. It was the same for me and my wife. I think for us it was the relationships we built in such a short time. I am going back the fall of 2016 and the rest of the time I keep thinking about the Camino. My wife will join me for the last 200km and we both still talk about it all the time even though we have been back for a year. The crazy thing is just a few years ago I had not even heard of the Camino :)

Hello, all. I got back from the camino two days ago. I had a wonderful experience walking from Sarria to Santiago. I spent my entire first day back in bed (presumably to catch up on sleep and rest), and noticed yesterday that I could have done the same if not for an appointment with a new camino friend who happens to be touring London after her camino (so I met up with her, and it was great to see each other in "normal" clothes!).

I have found myself strangely not fully "back yet" -- I look at my watch and have caught myself translating it into camino-timelines (i.e. around this time I would have been taking a lunch break, around this time I would have been having my second coffee break, etc). I look back at my camino week and relish how life was so simple then -- no choices, no dilemmas. Just a pre-defined path ahead of me, pre-booked accommodation. My only job was to put one foot in front of the other and be strong.

And now, after the camino, there is a "what's next" question in my head. What am I walking towards? Not sure if these are questions I should have "solved" along the way, but I didn't then. And now, having reached my destination, I do feel quite lost / empty. Weird. A kind of hanging, unfinished-journey feeling.

I am sorry to hear about the blues...I am just about to start my first camino from Sarria to Santiago. Would you mind sharing a bit about the trip, how many days it took you (we are planning on 5), did you continue to walk to Muxia, any advice? Thank you

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am sorry to hear about the blues...I am just about to start my first camino from Sarria to Santiago. Would you mind sharing a bit about the trip, how many days it took you (we are planning on 5), did you continue to walk to Muxia, any advice? Thank you

Hi Alexandra! You lucky duck. I did Sarria to Santiago in 5 days: Sarria to Portomarin, Portomarin to Palas do Rei, Palas do Rei to Arzua (super long day of 34km according to fitbit pedometer when the guidebook says 28km), Arzua to Amenal, Amenal to Santiago.

I followed the above itinerary as it was all arranged by tour operator Camino Ways (even if my friend and I walked on our own). Hotels were pre-booked, luggage was forwarded to the next hotel. I know it sounds like cheating but this was what I was ready for. One day I will do it "properly."

First piece of advice is that I wouldn't be afraid to do it alone. You can't get lost, yellow arrows everywhere! Also it makes meeting people easier. I also heard that private albergues go for around 9euros a night and are pretty clean. If you don't have pre-booked accommodation, I wouldn't recommend doing such a long stretch from Arzua to Amenal. Walk longer the day before, or split it into two days. Having said that, it wasn't that bad as it was a "flat" day, not too hilly.

Strangely, I did not get a single blister. I owe it to my new socks (two pairs at a time, one liner and one NON-COTTON thicker pair) and new hiking boots which I broke in a month before. If you're unsure about your current boots, get a new pair. It may save your life. (Upon return to London, in my "office shoes" I promptly developed blisters, how ironic.)

Also, use walking sticks. Don't carry too much water -- I never had more than 1Liter, as there are loads of cafes along the way. Stopping at cafes is always a good chance to chat to fellow pilgrims, some nameless faces, but they will become familiar faces, along the way. They will be invaluable in encouraging you.

I won't go into the "deeper" stuff because that's something you will experience yourself, be open to the camino and it's many blessings for you.

And as previous peregrines before me have said, arriving in the cathedral in Santiago may either overwhelm or disappoint. I was so-so about it, because I savoured the getting there rather than the destination. But it was touching to see my fellow pilgrims there, and I wondered about others who I met along the way who I did not see in Santiago.

Lastly, ultreya and buen camino. I'm sure you'll have a grand time.

S

Margaret! You're amazing. Inspiring. Do you know if there are any Camino groups in London? I googled it and found a restaurant :( Is there like an online list of camino groups around the world?

In a strange way ending the camino is like a breakup ... painful that it's ended but then starting a new journey with the strength and wisdom from the camino should be empowering.

Hi Alexandra! You lucky duck. I did Sarria to Santiago in 5 days: Sarria to Portomarin, Portomarin to Palas do Rei, Palas do Rei to Arzua (super long day of 34km according to fitbit pedometer when the guidebook says 28km), Arzua to Amenal, Amenal to Santiago.

I followed the above itinerary as it was all arranged by tour operator Camino Ways (even if my friend and I walked on our own). Hotels were pre-booked, luggage was forwarded to the next hotel. I know it sounds like cheating but this was what I was ready for. One day I will do it "properly."

First piece of advice is that I wouldn't be afraid to do it alone. You can't get lost, yellow arrows everywhere! Also it makes meeting people easier. I also heard that private albergues go for around 9euros a night and are pretty clean. If you don't have pre-booked accommodation, I wouldn't recommend doing such a long stretch from Arzua to Amenal. Walk longer the day before, or split it into two days. Having said that, it wasn't that bad as it was a "flat" day, not too hilly.

Strangely, I did not get a single blister. I owe it to my new socks (two pairs at a time, one liner and one NON-COTTON thicker pair) and new hiking boots which I broke in a month before. If you're unsure about your current boots, get a new pair. It may save your life. (Upon return to London, in my "office shoes" I promptly developed blisters, how ironic.)

Also, use walking sticks. Don't carry too much water -- I never had more than 1Liter, as there are loads of cafes along the way. Stopping at cafes is always a good chance to chat to fellow pilgrims, some nameless faces, but they will become familiar faces, along the way. They will be invaluable in encouraging you.

I won't go into the "deeper" stuff because that's something you will experience yourself, be open to the camino and it's many blessings for you.

And as previous peregrines before me have said, arriving in the cathedral in Santiago may either overwhelm or disappoint. I was so-so about it, because I savoured the getting there rather than the destination. But it was touching to see my fellow pilgrims there, and I wondered about others who I met along the way who I did not see in Santiago.

S

I am so impressed! Prebooked lodging and forwarding luggage! That is genius; it never occurred to me that one can do that. Brilliant!
I am going to do it the old fashion way and just walk and find accommodation each day. I am actually walking with my mom (70), so we might do the route in 6 days.
The only accommodation that I want to pre-book is in Sarria, I am flying into Madrid at 8.30 am then connecting to 12.20 pm train, arriving Sarria around 6.30 pm so I want to make sure that I have a good night’s rest before we start the following day.
Any recommendations for Sarria and actually Madrid (we will stay the last day or 2 there).
I am also impressed about your non- blistery feet. You read horror stories about those. I am buys a pair of hiking boots this weekend so I have enough time to break them in (I cannot get away with wearing good quality sneakers, can I?)
I hope you are not feeling blue anymore.
Thank you.
Alexandra

What would be without Margaret's experience and help? She started life's journey 10 years before me and the Caminos 8 before. I hope that when I reach her time of life I can be as useful tom others as she is to us.
About post Camino blues. Nothing much to worry about , it passes as soon as you are back on the next Camino! Seriously though, for some of us it becomes a daily obsession for which the forum is a kind of Caminos Addicts meeting group, so don't mind us. Having read many post Camino posts it is obvious that it changes almost everyone, often in unlooked for ways. You may not as yet found the answer you looked for you but may have found others that in time will resolve whatever that is. Good luck with readjusting, like the Camino - just go with the flow and let the post camino journey take it's course.

... Do you know if there are any Camino groups in London? I googled it and found a restaurant :( Is there like an online list of camino groups around the world?...

Sarah,

Be sure to scan the Forum topic Camino de Santiago around the world/Europe
to see what might exist in the UK. Also check out the Confraternity of St James.
The CSJ bookshop and library is open every Thursday and periodically they host camino related events. The address is 27 Blackfriars Road, London SE1 8NY

Happy research,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Yes - or I wouldn't be haunting this forum all the time, spending the last three months agonizing over new shoes (finally have them), keep checking the weather all across the CF on my iphone, etc, etc, etc. Can't wait to go back.

Yes - or I wouldn't be haunting this forum all the time, spending the last three months agonizing over new shoes (finally have them), keep checking the weather all across the CF on my iphone, etc, etc, etc. Can't wait to go back.
So? Cherry. After research for shoes, what did u end up with? What size for camino? / what size for normal street wear? I'm interested?
Annie

Any recommendations for Sarria and actually Madrid (we will stay the last day or 2 there).

Hi, Alexandra, I have stayed several times in Madrid on my way to or from the Camino at the Chic and Basic Atocha, http://www.chicandbasic.com/madrid/en/ on Calle Atocha, a very short walk from or to the Atocha train and bus stations, which connect to the Madrid airport. The location is convenient and safe, the prices are reasonable, the staff are wonderful, and the accommodations are simple but feel luxurious after six weeks on the Camino. It is also very close to the botanical gardens and the Prado, as well as the Plaza Mayor. I've had good experiences every time I stayed, and I plan to add a few days to the end of my next Camino in the fall so that I can explore Madrid a bit more. Enjoy your Camino![/QUOTE]

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So? Cherry. After research for shoes, what did u end up with? What size for camino? / what size for normal street wear? I'm interested?
Annie
Hi Annie - I went through 2 pairs of Hi Tec shoes, forget the name of the first ones, but they were 10 1/2. Too short. So I then got an 11 but in the waterproof version called the Sienna. Long enough but the left one squeaked and as the weather finally got warmer I realized they were also too narrow. So now I have a pair of low Merrell Siren Sport 2, in an 11. Before my camino I tried on some Merrells, and they felt way too wide. Not any more! I usually take a 9 1/2 or 10 in street shoes, or at least used to, and my feet were pretty narrow. I'm guessing now I would need a size larger. My "daily" shoes, sort of a casual pull on style still seem ok, but my "dress" boots seem a little tight or at least narrow. Wore the Merrells on a 6 1/2 mile walk yesterday for the first time and they were fine. It was just a paved bike path, but I scrambled up into the woods a couple of times and down a steep bank and my toes didn't hit the end. I had on a thin liner and light weight, slightly padded outer sock, similar to what I had on the camino, only new. My introduction to hiking in college was "get a sturdy pair of boots, you'll be carrying a 40-50 pound pack backpacking" so even though my pack weighed about 18 on the camino my boots were still a bit heavier than they needed to be. I can't quite wrap my head around trail running shoes because of lack of support, so hopefully will use the Sirens next time, which unfortunately probably won't be for another year or so. The first 2 pairs I mail ordered - usually I wouldn't, but Zappos has a super easy, free shipping return policy. The Merrells I bought locally - they were the same price everywhere, actually less because I signed up to become an Eastern Mountain Sports member and got 20% off, so $72 instead of $90. Hope that gives you some food for thought! - Cherry

I am so impressed! Prebooked lodging and forwarding luggage! That is genius; it never occurred to me that one can do that. Brilliant!
I am going to do it the old fashion way and just walk and find accommodation each day. I am actually walking with my mom (70), so we might do the route in 6 days.
The only accommodation that I want to pre-book is in Sarria, I am flying into Madrid at 8.30 am then connecting to 12.20 pm train, arriving Sarria around 6.30 pm so I want to make sure that I have a good night’s rest before we start the following day.
I am also impressed about your non- blistery feet. You read horror stories about those. I am buys a pair of hiking boots this weekend so I have enough time to break them in (I cannot get away with wearing good quality sneakers, can I?)
I hope you are not feeling blue anymore.
Thank you.
Alexandra
I walked last September from Pamplona, the walk from Sarria I think is fine if you wear good walkers, I did not use hiking boots, I used Nordic walkers that were well broken in, also Injinji toe socks and did not have a blister. However the walkers had to be thrown away at the end as they were quite a few years old, hopefully I will start in SJPP in 2016 and will get good walkers again. I hope you love it as much as I did. Christine

Yes yes yes you must do it from St Jean. Its a completely different experience right up to Sarria where you run into the crowds, youth clubs, people out for a few casual days walking etc. Walking the last week does not give a good insight into the Camino. Begin planning now and good luck.

I understand 100%! I walked from Pamplona to Leon last fall. That wasn't planned, I planned to walk to Santiago. Injury cut my trip short and I left my Camino family and returned home. I was so sad, felt weird, felt I had unfinished business. This was a 'once in a lifetime' opportunity....so I thought. I began to plan another Camino promptly. The 'blues' faded. Still had a strong urge to return, but the sadness faded. I will be leaving in a few weeks to begin this time from SJPP. I will be meeting a dear friend I met on the Camino last year! I'm so excited about this, but your post reminded me what I will likely experience after returning home. The funny thing is, I have a wonderful life at home, loving family, great job, awesome friends. Yet, there is something that draws me to the Camino and I have a feeling by going back, I won't get it 'out of my system', like my family and friends may think. In fact most of my family and friends don't understand the pull I feel. Only others who have walked do. So, the only way I have found to get rid of the blues is to start planning your next Camino!!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Hi Sarah, How long did it take you to walk from Sarria to Santiago? I only have 2 weeks off work. Also where did you fly to? How much were you spending a day for accommodation and food? Sorry so many questions but it is my first camino. Angie.

Know just how you feel . Walked from StJPdP to Santo Domingo last October and since then have been reading the forums, rejigging my packing list, deciding what I can do without, what I would do differently etc all in preparation for when I restart my camino this October. Can't wait :))
Did the same last year October. I also look forward to returning October this year.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Sarah, How long did it take you to walk from Sarria to Santiago? I only have 2 weeks off work. Also where did you fly to? How much were you spending a day for accommodation and food? Sorry so many questions but it is my first camino. Angie.
Hi Angie! I walked from Sarria to Santiago in 5 days. I flew into Santiago from London Stansted, then took a bus from the airport to Lugo, then another bus to Sarria. I booked my accommodation in advance, which included breakfasts and dinners, for 585euros per person (2 people sharing a room). I gather this is a lot to pay, because new friends I made along the way were paying between 5-9euros per night to stay in private or public albergues. lunch can be anything from 4-10euros, coffee is around 1-2.50euros. You'll be buying ice cream, chocolates, etc along the way too! But if you pay for luggage to get forwarded to your next destination, you can afford to buy and store yummies at supermarkets in the bigger towns (which is cheaper than buying food at cafes). also consider the cost of getting a spanish sim card for emergencies. You're so lucky to be on the camino! Ultreya!

There are people who only walk the Camino once and never feel the need to go back again. But, I suspect, not on this forum.
My dear spouse suggests we feel the need to go back 'cause we're such a bunch of sinners. He could be right. I can't wait for the next opportunity to expunge my sins.

I would be more surprised if anyone didn't get the post-Camino Blues! In May2011 I walked from Leon to Santiago with a friend - we thought we didn't need to suffer going over the Pyrenees or be bored out of our minds on the meseta, so we picked the last 312k to walk. We had a month to walk and planned to walk five days and rest for two. hahahahahaha. Boy were we surprised when we didn't need the rest days and we got to Santiago in three weeks and had a wonderful time. With the week left over, I took a train east to Logrono and walked to Burgos, then returned home.

Once home, I couldn't get the faces of the wonderful friends I had made out of my head, nor the joy of walking all day every day in a spectacularly beautiful landscape. I had the Blues real bad and solved it by returning a few months later in October to walk over the not-so-hard and not-so-dangerous Pyrenees and across the beautiful meseta. I met more wonderful friends and then there were more Camino Blues when I returned home. I solved it by returning once again the following year to walk from St. Jean to Santiago in one go after volunteering at L'Esprit du Chemin for 2 weeks. And then I returned home to even more Camino Blues!!

This time it was solved by walking 500km of the Arles/Aragones Camino with a Camino2011 Danish friend in July 2013...and then no more Camino Blues. This July, we are walking a 215km 'camino' in Quebec with two cousins from Quebec that we walked with last July. And after avidly reading some threads on this website, I realize I no longer have to find 'excuses' to return. I will return for the third go on the Camino Frances in mid-September, from St. Palais on the LePuy route to Santiago--because I can, because of the vast landscapes, because of the cafe con leche and the cerveza, because it's there, and because of the wonderful people I will meet.

Here is a website that was very helpful to me when I experienced my first case of Camino Blues when I returned in May2011:
http://www.pilgrimroads.com/2010/10/where-have-all-the-yellow-arrows-gone/
I was relieved to learn that there was a name for my unexpected tears and deep sadness, and I was not the only one experiencing these disorienting emotions. I agree with Al the Optimist that there is "Nothing much to worry about, it passes as soon as you are back on the next Camino!" And sometimes it begins to dissipate as soon as you start making plans for your next Camino. Count me in among the Camino-obsessed. I think I am in good company!

I have a hard time sticking to a physical exercise regimen, unless I have a big goal ahead of me for which I need to get in shape. The Camino was the last big undertaking I did. Afterwards I felt a bit at a loss, did a lot of lying around the house, and never got very excited about anything, unless I was talking about the Camino experience, which quickly bored people I was talking to. I definitely needed something to look forward to, something to get me out of the house and physically more active. I thought about doing the Camino Frances again or the Camino Norte or Le Puy, and those will probably be in my future at some point, but for now I'm scheduled to walk across England through the Lakes District in September (plane tickets are bought). In Spring, 2015 I want to hike the Nakasendo trail in Japan (the old route from Kyoto to Tokyo), and in November, 2015 hike the Annapurna circuit in Nepal. With those plans in place or in the planning stages, I have a goal for myself again, and I can feel the sense of excitement and adventure coming back to me, just as happened while anticipating the Camino Frances this past Fall. In the meantime, I found on the Camino that I was able to let anxieties go and let myself be open to unexpected events in my life, experiencing them more fully than I had before, and I'm working on keeping that as a permanent change for me at home. I wouldn't want to think that my lesson from the Camino was to hop on a plane and do more Caminos, although that actually doesn't sound so bad either!

There are people who only walk the Camino once and never feel the need to go back again. But, I suspect, not on this forum.
My dear spouse suggests we feel the need to go back 'cause we're such a bunch of sinners. He could be right. I can't wait for the next opportunity to expunge my sins.
Kanga! Your husband is either RIGHT or RIOT or BOTH! :) Love it!!! The lighter side of the camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Here is a website that was very helpful to me when I experienced my first case of Camino Blues when I returned in May2011:
http://www.pilgrimroads.com/2010/10/where-have-all-the-yellow-arrows-gone/
I was relieved to learn that there was a name for my unexpected tears and deep sadness, and I was not the only one experiencing these disorienting emotions. I agree with Al the Optimist that there is "Nothing much to worry about, it passes as soon as you are back on the next Camino!" And sometimes it begins to dissipate as soon as you start making plans for your next Camino. Count me in among the Camino-obsessed. I think I am in good company!

Marylynn! So grateful for this link! I am reading this during my work lunch break and had to stop reading because it's too intense and I want to savour it in privacy! Can't wait to get home! You are very lucky to have done multiple trips! Perhaps for us Camino alumni, it's not only BUEN Camino, but MILI-Camino! A thousand Caminos to each of us!

I have a hard time sticking to a physical exercise regimen, unless I have a big goal ahead of me for which I need to get in shape. The Camino was the last big undertaking I did. Afterwards I felt a bit at a loss, did a lot of lying around the house, and never got very excited about anything, unless I was talking about the Camino experience, which quickly bored people I was talking to. I definitely needed something to look forward to, something to get me out of the house and physically more active. I thought about doing the Camino Frances again or the Camino Norte or Le Puy, and those will probably be in my future at some point, but for now I'm scheduled to walk across England through the Lakes District in September (plane tickets are bought). In Spring, 2015 I want to hike the Nakasendo trail in Japan (the old route from Kyoto to Tokyo), and in November, 2015 hike the Annapurna circuit in Nepal. With those plans in place or in the planning stages, I have a goal for myself again, and I can feel the sense of excitement and adventure coming back to me, just as happened while anticipating the Camino Frances this past Fall. In the meantime, I found on the Camino that I was able to let anxieties go and let myself be open to unexpected events in my life, experiencing them more fully than I had before, and I'm working on keeping that as a permanent change for me at home. I wouldn't want to think that my lesson from the Camino was to hop on a plane and do more Caminos, although that actually doesn't sound so bad either!

Tploomis, I am the same about exercise. I thought about making a little chart in my room to help visualise how my Km's in the gym treadmill can translate to where I am on a "virtual" camino. It's not the same. But hey, it might help so I just might do it. That way, I hope to keep myself motivated to go to the gym and at the same time, scratch the Camino itch... for now!

Another couple, my wife and I did the last 110 K from Sarria to Santiago de Compostella in last September (2013), in five (5) days. We too had accommodations with private rooms/baths, and luggage transfer service. Our was all handled by Garry Budin of Spanish Adventures. He did a great job and I would highly recommend his services.

The entire experience was awesome and amazing. We met, walked, and talked with people from all over the world. We saw North Western Spain, Galacia, up close. It is a beautiful country. We also experienced the peace and presence of God as we walked.

Would I do it again? Absolutely! Some things I would do differently. I would plan to walk a few days and perhaps take a rest day in between, to stay and absorb more of the culture. I would also take a little longer, meaning walking a little less on the walking days. None of us had any real physical issues. Yes, we would be tired at the end of each day. Again, the slower pace and extra rest or non-walking days would be more to enjoy it. Lastly, I would like to do the entire Camino from SJPDP to Santiago. With the above understood, it will take me/us a longer time.

As far as those who would criticize or say the way we did Our Camino, was not correct, or we were not "true" pilgrims, I would suggest they miss the entire point of the Camino...we each must walk our own walk. IF your Way is to carry a backpack with everything you own and stay where you can, that's great! Buen Camino! IF your Way is to have reserved rooms, with a service, Buen Camino!

What is important, is to just go, enjoy, take it all in, share, and come back hopefully changed or at least more appreciative of the blessings God has given you.

And yes, afterward, I miss it! I want to go back and hope and pray I am given the opportunity to. In the meantime, I follow this and other sites/blogs and share the joy and experience of fellow Pilgrims.

Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Ha! I know what you mean. For me and my love, like Martin Sheen in the movie, "The Way," we just kept on going. Eventually we made it all the way to Auroville, India and stayed until December. 10 months, most of it walking, including the month and a half on the Camino. We work now in our professions, only for the money to once again hit the trail. We will walk the Camino again. I am not sure when, but we will. It's in our spirit, and it changed us forever, and bonded us as true loves for the rest of our lives.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes ...I (almost) miss the snorers, the people walking to the bathroom in the middle of the night, the head lamps of early risers....For a while, I can't sleep well, because there is too much calm and silence.

And if we sin more, we will get more caminos?
That could be an interesting deal... ;)

I arrived in Santiago in time for Sunday's Pilgrim's Mass. On Monday evening I was back home in Moscow and on Tuesday I went back to work.

After a month on the Camino it is weird to have so many things again. As I dropped my rucksack in the hall I realized I did not have to use anything in it in the foreseeable future, even though the contents were all carefully chosen essentials I had been willing to carry from Burgos to Santiago rather than get by without them for a month. For the first time in a month laundry could wait as I now had wardrobes full of clean clothes.

Tuesday was easier than expected because so many people made it clear that they were really pleased to see me after an exceptionally long absence. The last time I took a month's vacation I was a student.

What I miss about having only a few possessions is knowing exactly where everything I have is. It took three days to find my security pass for the office.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
"Tuesday was easier than expected because so many people made it clear that they were really pleased to see me after an exceptionally long absence. "

Yes!

Arrived home this past Monday morning at 12:15 am and was at a client's office just about 9 hours later. They were happy to see me after 7 weeks despite my lack of a professional haircut and presence of a wild beard.

I am still exhausted but returning to engagement with the world immediately upon return has made the "Camino blues" easier to take this time. So, I am guessing that "unpacking" the revitalized "you" for folks might be a way of keeping the blues under control.

Just don't expect it to stop the cravings for cafe con leche.

B

Marylynn! So grateful for this link! I am reading this during my work lunch break and had to stop reading because it's too intense and I want to savour it in privacy! Can't wait to get home! You are very lucky to have done multiple trips! Perhaps for us Camino alumni, it's not only BUEN Camino, but MILI-Camino! A thousand Caminos to each of us!
Hi, Sarah, I just found your response to my Camino Blues post! I'm glad you found the website helpful. I feel extremely fortunate to be able to return to the Camino and I hope you are able to return soon, too! MILI-Camino to you!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What I miss about having only a few possessions is knowing exactly where everything I have is. It took three days to find my security pass for the office.

I do think this is so funny - and true. Just goes to show how important things gets lost in the clutter of too much stuff. In every sense.

S
I'm doing the first camino alone and I'm a bit concern about getting lost, starting from the airport and so on. thank you for your wisdom:)

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...
Did you meet Bjørn Krohn? Died aged 48 in an albergue, I don't know where, tuesday 21th. I didn't know this until now.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.