• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Post Surgical Recovery Is Going Well

• Thread starter Deleted member 67185
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67185

Hi everyone…
At 1430 yesterday I went to our local hospital – Central Washington Hospital – on a planned admittance for the inguinal hernia repair operation which was a partially a reason for my leaving Camino at Burgos.

The repair was done with a laparoscopic technique, with reinforcement of the abdominal wall weakness using a medium weight, flexible mesh. There were no complications during or after surgery, and I was discharged to home by 2000. The nursing staff was terrific, as was my surgeon who specializes in this surgery. My wife, Jill, works as a charge nurse on pediatrics at the hospital and knew a lot of the nurses, so I’m sure that helped with the kid glove treatment :cool:.

Last night at home was comfortable enough, and after finally being allowed to eat, getting a big ice pack on the area affected, and getting some ibuprofen and Tylenol on-board, I slept fairly well. Jill took the day off yesterday and today, and she is being the loving nurse, God’s blessings to her :D

This morning there is no pain per say, just some soreness with achiness. Walking and moving I can sometimes feel internal stretching in the surgical area. One of the reasons I really like my surgeon is that he insists that I be up and walking as much distance as I can do each day until discomfort gets in the way. Of course I received the instructions about lifting no more than 5 pounds for the next several weeks, but walking is self-limiting to my pain threshold. For now it’ll be flat gradient walks, and then next week I’ll start gradually adding some incline over the following 4 weeks. So if recovery goes well, I should be back to normal in four to six weeks. I am so glad that one major obstacle to getting back to Camino is on its way to being resolved.

I really am appreciative for your support… what a great group of Pilgrim friends you are. For your thoughts, well wishes, and prayers, I am exceedingly grateful. :):):)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
davebugg,

What good news for all your digital readers and friends! Thank you for keeping us up to date re your recovery and convalescence.

May each new day bring you more comfort and new strength.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
davebugg,

What good news for all your digital readers and friends! Thank you for keeping us up to date re your recovery and convalescence.

May each new day bring you more comfort and new strength.

I sure appreciate your thoughts. Thank you. :)

Good news! Best wishes for a speedy recovery and for many more caminos to come. Walk strong.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Cheers Dave always great to hear the other end of the story. Also glad to hear that you are "up and about", so now you can start planning the completion of your Camino. (That 5 pound (2.3 kg) lifting limit will be a good excuse to not doing any domestic chores. Although you should be well enough to carve the Thanksgiving Turkey!!)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Excellent news, Dave. I'm sure you'll have a speedy recovery.

And that's from one who had a triple hernia done about 8 years ago, same way, in my hospital in a coastal town around 300k south of Sydney. I was the first ever done that way in the hospital and I think all the medical and nursing staff were in for a geek, so my private parts are no longer private!

De Colores

Bogong

Hi everyone…
At 1430 yesterday I went to our local hospital – Central Washington Hospital – on a planned admittance for the inguinal hernia repair operation which was a partially a reason for my leaving Camino at Burgos.

The repair was done with a laparoscopic technique, with reinforcement of the abdominal wall weakness using a medium weight, flexible mesh. There were no complications during or after surgery, and I was discharged to home by 2000. The nursing staff was terrific, as was my surgeon who specializes in this surgery. My wife, Jill, works as a charge nurse on pediatrics at the hospital and knew a lot of the nurses, so I’m sure that helped with the kid glove treatment :cool:.

Last night at home was comfortable enough, and after finally being allowed to eat, getting a big ice pack on the area affected, and getting some ibuprofen and Tylenol on-board, I slept fairly well. Jill took the day off yesterday and today, and she is being the loving nurse, God’s blessings to her :D

This morning there is no pain per say, just some soreness with achiness. Walking and moving I can sometimes feel internal stretching in the surgical area. One of the reasons I really like my surgeon is that he insists that I be up and walking as much distance as I can do each day until discomfort gets in the way. Of course I received the instructions about lifting no more than 5 pounds for the next several weeks, but walking is self-limiting to my pain threshold. For now it’ll be flat gradient walks, and then next week I’ll start gradually adding some incline over the following 4 weeks. So if recovery goes well, I should be back to normal in four to six weeks. I am so glad that one major obstacle to getting back to Camino is on its way to being resolved.

I really am appreciative for your support… what a great group of Pilgrim friends you are. For your thoughts, well wishes, and prayers, I am exceedingly grateful. :):):)

Glad to hear about your recovery ...had a double coronary bypass myself 12 weeks ago - every thing going well - now walking about 40 mins per day as per recovery schedule - I hope to complete on of the "smaller" Caminos next year

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm so glad that you are feeling well (-ish) and are on your road to recovery. I also had to stop at Burgos this time, as you may know! That is just how things go sometime, and it's good to know when it's time to take a break. Now, go enjoy some Netflix :)

I'm so glad that you are feeling well (-ish) and are on your road to recovery. I also had to stop at Burgos this time, as you may know! That is just how things go sometime, and it's good to know when it's time to take a break. Now, go enjoy some Netflix :)

Yeah, it seems we have some things in common fer sure. It's funny you mentioned Netflix because I was streaming some Camino YouTubes over my Roku while doing a bit of walking on the treadmill. Nothing real strenuous, just a slow couple of miles. Then to the recliner with an ice bag :) So far, I'm feeling pretty well.

I know how tough things became for you, but you are one tough cookie. ;-) I guess we both are heading back to Burgos in the (hopefully) nearish fututre.

Glad to hear about your recovery ...had a double coronary bypass myself 12 weeks ago - every thing going well - now walking about 40 mins per day as per recovery schedule - I hope to complete on of the "smaller" Caminos next year
Thanks, and good news on YOUR recovery. Keep getting stronger each day.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Excellent news, Dave. I'm sure you'll have a speedy recovery.

And that's from one who had a triple hernia done about 8 years ago, same way, in my hospital in a coastal town around 300k south of Sydney. I was the first ever done that way in the hospital and I think all the medical and nursing staff were in for a geek, so my private parts are no longer private!

De Colores

Bogong

(blushing) I know.... it's like a test of one's ability to keep dignity alive :). The worst part was knowing that some of those who got a peek are my wife's colleagues. :eek:o_O

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Cheers Dave always great to hear the other end of the story. Also glad to hear that you are "up and about", so now you can start planning the completion of your Camino. (That 5 pound (2.3 kg) lifting limit will be a good excuse to not doing any domestic chores. Although you should be well enough to carve the Thanksgiving Turkey!!)

I wish I only had to carve the turkey. Unless severe complications take hold, Jill will insist that we maintain the tradition of my cooking the holiday feasts. :)

Yeah, it seems we have some things in common fer sure. It's funny you mentioned Netflix because I was streaming some Camino YouTubes over my Roku while doing a bit of walking on the treadmill. Nothing real strenuous, just a slow couple of miles. Then to the recliner with an ice bag :) So far, I'm feeling pretty well.

I know how tough things became for you, but you are one tough cookie. ;-) I guess we both are heading back to Burgos in the (hopefully) nearish fututre.
Dave--

I was sicker than &*()&)(* on this last journey! Even sixteen days later and just arrived home, my cough is horrible, and husband was concerned at it.

Honestly, though, after two nights at Estella, I made myself walk. It was not easy, and the first day was only 6 miles or so to Villa Montjardin, but the day after that was better. Nights were hard.

No big deal though; I survived it and had a ton of forum support (ha ha, and some very intense "pull up your socks and shut up" support too, but I can deal with that).

One of my good, good forum friends actually was planning to leave her VDLP Camino to come north fast and take care of me. I said, no, no, no....knowing full well that my journey home on the 17th would take care of all residual issues anyway. I am home now, and sipping on my favorite Spanish medication, Fluimicil. Remember that thread (chuckling)? For a gal with bad lungs, this is the medication to have in one's cabinet.

Dave, were you feeling pretty uncomfortable by the time you got to Burgos? That's a fine place to end, by the way.

My three journeys on the CF so far have been as follows:
1. SJPP to SdC, all the way
2. Burgos to SdC, omitting the O'Cebreiro section (cold, rainy, snowy)
3. Pamplona to Burgos, although I bussed from Belorado (feeling sicker than was prudent to walk at that point).

My next journey will be either VDLP or Le Puy, as I was in the Le Puy area last month and loved it. I also love the idea of checking out Malaga, and then getting myself to Seville and starting there.

Take care, Dave!

Deb

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi everyone…

Great news to hear you are recovering well, looking forward to hear your at Burgos and enjoying the Camino. Cheers Tony

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.