A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

See the full Camino Forum Store here with many more camino products.

Posting a parcel of clothes back to Australia

Camino(s) past & future
September “2018”
Hi. We have a week of business in Northern Italy before we embark on a 2 week walk from Lucca to wherever in the time we have, and on completion of the walk will get the train to Milan to fly back to Australia. Because we have to take business clothes, we would like to post these back to Australia before starting our walk. We finish our business in Udine and were wondering what the international postal system was like. thanks in advance

kazrobbo

Tassie Kaz
Camino(s) past & future
CF 2012
CP 2015
St Olavs Norway 2016
88T Japan 2017
PWC/VF 2019
Israel 2020 X
Wales CP 21?
KK?
VdlP?
Hi. We have a week of business in Northern Italy before we embark on a 2 week walk from Lucca to wherever in the time we have, and on completion of the walk will get the train to Milan to fly back to Australia. Because we have to take business clothes, we would like to post these back to Australia before starting our walk. We finish our business in Udine and were wondering what the international postal system was like. thanks in advance
Not wishing to cause an international incident, I'll PM you instead! 🙊
👣 🌏

Last edited:

mspath

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Onnce you know where you will stay in Milan you might post your clothes directly there from Urdine. However be sure to ask your future Milan host to accept and store such a package before you send it.

Buona fortuna e Buon viaggio !

dougfitz

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Spain: Mar 2010, Apr 2014, May/Jun 2016. Norway/Sweden: 2012, 2018. Other: 2011, 2019. CP (tbc)
Only when you bring items into the country in your personal baggage are you entitled to the presumption that they are your personal property. There are some items such as tobacco and alcohol that are subject to excise above a certain quantity, but not clothing to my knowledge. Sending by post voids that presumption and you are presumed to be an importer. It won't be the postal service that stymies you, but whether you are going to be asked to pay duty on your own clothing! From memory, goods need to be valued at more than $1000, but you shouldn''t rely on that and consult the Australian Border Force in person or through their website (www.abf.gov.au).

If it gets too complicated, I would follow @mspath's suggestion of posting to your Milan accommodation.

Camino(s) past & future
September “2018”
Onnce you know where you will stay in Milan you might post your clothes directly there from Urdine. However be sure to ask your future Milan host to accept and store such a package before you send it.

Buona fortuna e Buon viaggio !
Grazie, we have decided to leave a bag in the long term lockers near Milano station as we don’t know where we will be on our last night. We have a late night flight out .

Camino(s) past & future
September “2018”
Only when you bring items into the country in your personal baggage are you entitled to the presumption that they are your personal property. There are some items such as tobacco and alcohol that are subject to excise above a certain quantity, but not clothing to my knowledge. Sending by post voids that presumption and you are presumed to be an importer. It won't be the postal service that stymies you, but whether you are going to be asked to pay duty on your own clothing! From memory, goods need to be valued at more than $1000, but you shouldn''t rely on that and consult the Australian Border Force in person or through their website (www.abf.gov.au).

If it gets too complicated, I would follow @mspath's suggestion of posting to your Milan accommodation.
thank you 😊

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
'CP, Frances,Norte,Salv/prim;Le puy, Inglés, CDM, Invierno, Fin/Mux, Vdlp 2019>Táb/ Prt Levante 2020
I’m surprised that others haven’t had the experience of posting ‘no longer needed gear’ back home to Oz. (Unless italy is different ?)
I have posted stuff home a few times. A couple of times from Santiago ., and once from Conques in France.
In Santiago when I have had further travel to do in Europe / I packaged the no longer needed stuff ranging from boots, poles, rain gear, clothes ,

I sent it to my sister in law at home - with ‘for attn: my name . At the Correos I had to complete a form stating what the individual items were and value of each item.
A description of what I was sending was require.
I put: Personal ‘used’ gear and clothing - not required for further travel.
I put the value as low as possible - as we know that 2nd hand clothing etc wouldn’t sell for much.

Postage is not cheap. Last lot cost me about E67
On arrival in Australia - it was delivered without a problem & no incoming charges.

In reverse : I have frequently arrived in Madrid - and posted a package ahead to my accommodation in Santiago. They hold it for me each time for collecting when I get there. (As long as a booking has been made and ref: noted on parcel ).
I would assume this would work sending to your accommodation in Milan awaiting your return home

Good luck and enjoy the VF
Annie

grayland

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Yes
We had had the same experience as Annie...except posting back to the U.S....
Arrive in Spain and post after Camino clothes to Ivar in Santiago. Then..post unwanted Camino items to home in U.S. from Santiago before continuing on to after Camino travel.

Like Annie advises, it is expensive to the U.S. as well.

jl

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances('05, '07), Aragonese ('05), del Norte / Primitivo ('09), Via Tolosana (Toulouse '05), Via Podiensis (Le Puy '07), Via Lemovicensis (Troyes '09), VF ('12), Winter Camino ('13/'14) Cammino d'Assisi ('14) Jakobseweg (Leipzig - Paris '15) San Salvador/Norte ('15) Ignaciano ('16) Invierno ('16)
I have regularly posted things back to Australia on my various pilgrim expeditions. Sometimes it has been clothes, sleeping bags, leaflets (which I collect along the way). I have never had any issue with the Australian end, but there have been times when I have had difficulties - mainly due to language - at the Italian end (or whatever country I happen to be in). The forms that are required to be filled in are a pain - just allow PLENTY of time to queue and organise your parcel, and fill out all the forms. It is quite fun in Italy posting a parcel - security being very important - and you will find it a very different experience to posting a parcel in Aust. The assistants will tell you which is the best packaging to use and you might find it easiest to take your parcel loosely packed so that you can pack it most effectively when you have the packaging, whether it be a box or a package. Last time a friend and I combined resources and sent a large parcel to Rome where we collected it. Most places are willing to make an arrangement to store a parcel for a few weeks - just be sure to confirm it with them.

NorthernLight

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Santiago via the Frances 2012-2013. EPW2015
Aragonese & Frances 2016
Burgos to Muxia 2017
To be clear, you will use the items in Milan, pre-camino, then you don’t need them again?

Perhaps your Milan pre-walk hotel will hold it?

Edited to remove bit that was not relevant.

Last edited:

NorthernLight

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Santiago via the Frances 2012-2013. EPW2015
Aragonese & Frances 2016
Burgos to Muxia 2017
Whoops! I missed that part. Thanks!

Carol06

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (May 2012)
Frances (May 2015) all going well and with my husband this time.
Grazie, we have decided to leave a bag in the long term lockers near Milano station as we don’t know where we will be on our last night. We have a late night flight out .
Sounds like a good solution. Apparently the postal service in Italy is hugely expensive. I was quoted about €40 just to have a credential posted to NZ.

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
Hurry Krishna Via Francigena to Rome 8
OLDER threads on this topic
Posting luggage to Rome

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 323 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 94 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 373 28.7%
  • October

Votes: 157 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock