• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Posting a parcel of clothes back to Australia

Milly dipa

CF 2018,2019. LePuy 2022
Time of past OR future Camino
September “2018”
Hi. We have a week of business in Northern Italy before we embark on a 2 week walk from Lucca to wherever in the time we have, and on completion of the walk will get the train to Milan to fly back to Australia. Because we have to take business clothes, we would like to post these back to Australia before starting our walk. We finish our business in Udine and were wondering what the international postal system was like. thanks in advance

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi. We have a week of business in Northern Italy before we embark on a 2 week walk from Lucca to wherever in the time we have, and on completion of the walk will get the train to Milan to fly back to Australia. Because we have to take business clothes, we would like to post these back to Australia before starting our walk. We finish our business in Udine and were wondering what the international postal system was like. thanks in advance
Not wishing to cause an international incident, I'll PM you instead! 🙊
👣 🌏

Last edited:
Onnce you know where you will stay in Milan you might post your clothes directly there from Urdine. However be sure to ask your future Milan host to accept and store such a package before you send it.

Buona fortuna e Buon viaggio !

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Only when you bring items into the country in your personal baggage are you entitled to the presumption that they are your personal property. There are some items such as tobacco and alcohol that are subject to excise above a certain quantity, but not clothing to my knowledge. Sending by post voids that presumption and you are presumed to be an importer. It won't be the postal service that stymies you, but whether you are going to be asked to pay duty on your own clothing! From memory, goods need to be valued at more than $1000, but you shouldn''t rely on that and consult the Australian Border Force in person or through their website (www.abf.gov.au).

If it gets too complicated, I would follow @mspath's suggestion of posting to your Milan accommodation.

Onnce you know where you will stay in Milan you might post your clothes directly there from Urdine. However be sure to ask your future Milan host to accept and store such a package before you send it.

Buona fortuna e Buon viaggio !
Grazie, we have decided to leave a bag in the long term lockers near Milano station as we don’t know where we will be on our last night. We have a late night flight out .

Only when you bring items into the country in your personal baggage are you entitled to the presumption that they are your personal property. There are some items such as tobacco and alcohol that are subject to excise above a certain quantity, but not clothing to my knowledge. Sending by post voids that presumption and you are presumed to be an importer. It won't be the postal service that stymies you, but whether you are going to be asked to pay duty on your own clothing! From memory, goods need to be valued at more than $1000, but you shouldn''t rely on that and consult the Australian Border Force in person or through their website (www.abf.gov.au).

If it gets too complicated, I would follow @mspath's suggestion of posting to your Milan accommodation.
thank you 😊

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I’m surprised that others haven’t had the experience of posting ‘no longer needed gear’ back home to Oz. (Unless italy is different ?)
I have posted stuff home a few times. A couple of times from Santiago ., and once from Conques in France.
In Santiago when I have had further travel to do in Europe / I packaged the no longer needed stuff ranging from boots, poles, rain gear, clothes ,

I sent it to my sister in law at home - with ‘for attn: my name . At the Correos I had to complete a form stating what the individual items were and value of each item.
A description of what I was sending was require.
I put: Personal ‘used’ gear and clothing - not required for further travel.
I put the value as low as possible - as we know that 2nd hand clothing etc wouldn’t sell for much.

Postage is not cheap. Last lot cost me about E67
On arrival in Australia - it was delivered without a problem & no incoming charges.

In reverse : I have frequently arrived in Madrid - and posted a package ahead to my accommodation in Santiago. They hold it for me each time for collecting when I get there. (As long as a booking has been made and ref: noted on parcel ).
I would assume this would work sending to your accommodation in Milan awaiting your return home

Good luck and enjoy the VF
Annie

We had had the same experience as Annie...except posting back to the U.S....
Arrive in Spain and post after Camino clothes to Ivar in Santiago. Then..post unwanted Camino items to home in U.S. from Santiago before continuing on to after Camino travel.

Like Annie advises, it is expensive to the U.S. as well.

I have regularly posted things back to Australia on my various pilgrim expeditions. Sometimes it has been clothes, sleeping bags, leaflets (which I collect along the way). I have never had any issue with the Australian end, but there have been times when I have had difficulties - mainly due to language - at the Italian end (or whatever country I happen to be in). The forms that are required to be filled in are a pain - just allow PLENTY of time to queue and organise your parcel, and fill out all the forms. It is quite fun in Italy posting a parcel - security being very important - and you will find it a very different experience to posting a parcel in Aust. The assistants will tell you which is the best packaging to use and you might find it easiest to take your parcel loosely packed so that you can pack it most effectively when you have the packaging, whether it be a box or a package. Last time a friend and I combined resources and sent a large parcel to Rome where we collected it. Most places are willing to make an arrangement to store a parcel for a few weeks - just be sure to confirm it with them.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
To be clear, you will use the items in Milan, pre-camino, then you don’t need them again?

Perhaps your Milan pre-walk hotel will hold it?

Edited to remove bit that was not relevant.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Grazie, we have decided to leave a bag in the long term lockers near Milano station as we don’t know where we will be on our last night. We have a late night flight out .
Sounds like a good solution. Apparently the postal service in Italy is hugely expensive. I was quoted about €40 just to have a credential posted to NZ.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back