• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pre-booking CF in August-how crowded is it really?

HBS60

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2024 (planned)
Greetings!
I’m planning to do my first Camino Francés this coming August, have already made reservations in SJPDP, Orrison, and Roncesvalles (also at Pamplona’s Albergue Plaza Catedral when arriving from Madrid on my way to SJPDP). I’m aware that CF tends to be more crowded and that August is “vacation month” for Spain and most of Europe. I was told recently that I should pre-book EVERYTHING all the way to SDC because it’s impossible to find a bed that time of the year without reservations. My original plan was that once I make it to Roncesvalles, I would have a better idea on what my actual pace would be, what would be a realistic walking distance per day, and plan accordingly, and there’s no way I can predict where I will be on any particular day. (EDITED TO ADD: I was thinking of making reservations 1-2 days in advance if necessary, but I don’t know about making them right now, 5 months before my planned start date) I start walking on August 11, and I estimate 4-6 weeks to complete the Camino, so I want to have a sense of how much of a problem it would be to find an albergue that time of the year. I figure that it might be problematic from Sarria on, but the folks that I was talking to tell me that it’s crowded everywhere. I know they were trying to be helpful, for which I’m grateful, but wanted to double check and see what y’all experiences have been.
Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The places which are reservable online probably will fill up fast. So it may appear online that everywhere is full. But the many municipals and religious albergues which are "first come, first served" may still have beds available. The pinch points on the Frances tend to be from SJPDP to Pamplona. After that things ease off a lot. I would probably reserve as far as Pamplona then make a decision on a day-to-day basis on whether or not to book the next night.

The places which are reservable online probably will fill up fast. So it may appear online that everywhere is full. But the many municipals and religious albergues which are "first come, first served" may still have beds available. The pinch points on the Frances tend to be from SJPDP to Pamplona. After that things ease off a lot. I would probably reserve as far as Pamplona then make a decision on a day-to-day basis on whether or not to book the next night.
That makes sense. I do have a reservation in Pamplona but that’s on my way to SJPDP so it’s “pre-Camino”, but I imagine I could reserve it again on my way from Roncesvalles. So the other place I would need to reserve would be Zubiri (or whereabouts), as according to what my understanding, that’s reachable in a day’s walk from Roncesvalles.
Thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Greetings!
I’m planning to do my first Camino Francés this coming August, have already made reservations in SJPDP, Orrison, and Roncesvalles (also at Pamplona’s Albergue Plaza Catedral when arriving from Madrid on my way to SJPDP). I’m aware that CF tends to be more crowded and that August is “vacation month” for Spain and most of Europe. I was told recently that I should pre-book EVERYTHING all the way to SDC because it’s impossible to find a bed that time of the year without reservations. My original plan was that once I make it to Roncesvalles, I would have a better idea on what my actual pace would be, what would be a realistic walking distance per day, and plan accordingly, and there’s no way I can predict where I will be on any particular day. (EDITED TO ADD: I was thinking of making reservations 1-2 days in advance if necessary, but I don’t know about making them right now, 5 months before my planned start date) I start walking on August 11, and I estimate 4-6 weeks to complete the Camino, so I want to have a sense of how much of a problem it would be to find an albergue that time of the year. I figure that it might be problematic from Sarria on, but the folks that I was talking to tell me that it’s crowded everywhere. I know they were trying to be helpful, for which I’m grateful, but wanted to double check and see what y’all experiences have been.
Thanks!
I would also book Zubiri. It's very small with limited beds.

I was told recently that I should pre-book EVERYTHING all the way to SDC because it’s impossible to find a bed that time of the year without reservations
I figure that it might be problematic from Sarria on, but the folks that I was talking to tell me that it’s crowded everywhere.
When in the month did they start, from where, and what type of accommodation did they want? Without addressing these 3 factors, a generalized statement about crowding means very little.

When will you start, what type of lodging do you want, and how flexible are you on the type?

General rule of the thumb is
Book SJPdp --> Orisson (if applicable) --> Roncesvalles --> Zubiri --> Pamplona​
after that it is possible to wing it (esp. if trying to stay "off stages")​
Same thing can be said about Sarria --> SdC stretch (it is "crowded" but it is possible to have no problems if flexible and\or willing to stay "off stages")​
Anything else that "the folks one talks to" is... questionable at the best​

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
When in the month did they start, from where, and what type of accommodation did they want? Without addressing these 3 factors, a generalized statement about crowding means very little.

When will you start, what type of lodging do you want, and how flexible are you on the type?
I don’t know about them, since I just had a brief talk as we were doing a hike as part of a group, and I’m fairly new so I don’t know a lot of people well. The fact that I said my Camino would be in August got their attention, and they were very insistent that “all of Europe” is on vacation in August. They did seem experienced in Caminos FWIW but we didn’t get to talk much more. I was a bit surprised that being that places like the Meseta can be infernally hot in August, why would stretches like that be crowded that time of the year? I can see SJPDP to Pamplona, maybe even Burgos, then the infamous Sarria stretch, but what do I know from the other side of the Atlantic. As far as how flexible I am, I don’t care where I find accommodation, my only issue would be finding a place where I could plug my cPAP machine, otherwise I’m good.

OK, so.... to be fair.... it matters not what some folks told you. Yes "the whole Europe (and that in itself is a big stretch) is on vacation" but IMHO you'll likely find this "Europe" clinging to the beaches of Malaga, Barcelona and Cote d'Azur much more than trampling on Camino through Mesete which can be "infernally hot in August" 😁 (BTW I was way past Meseta mid-June on my Camino and one day the temps went into 40s C - weather is weather and very unpredictable)

This is the way I see it - your notation that you have a C-PAP machine caught my attention. This IMHO is quite a game changer, because as you are saying you need a place where you can plug it. Many albergues will unquestionably accommodate this but AI have been to some where the plugs are not "conveniently" located to all of the beds\bunks.
My suggestion would be - like it or not start contacting various albergues\hostels etc and ask them what is their situation. I do recall from one of your other posts that you speak Spanish so you got one-up already with communication no barriers. That accomplish - zero in on ones you like and book. Yes it will take the spontaneity away but should give you a much needed peace of mind.

Good luck & Buen Camino

It is true that many Spanish people (and other Europeans) take vacation in August. Stores and certain services are sometimes unavailable because the owner is on vacation. September tends to be a one of the busiest months for pilgrims though. It will be busy in August, but as a preference, I would not pre-book everything. It would give me little flexibility day to day. You should do what feels right for you though.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
OK, so.... to be fair.... it matters not what some folks told you. Yes "the whole Europe (and that in itself is a big stretch) is on vacation" but IMHO you'll likely find this "Europe" clinging to the beaches of Malaga, Barcelona and Cote d'Azur much more than trampling on Camino through Mesete which can be "infernally hot in August" 😁 (BTW I was way past Meseta mid-June on my Camino and one day the temps went into 40s C - weather is weather and very unpredictable)

This is the way I see it - your notation that you have a C-PAP machine caught my attention. This IMHO is quite a game changer, because as you are saying you need a place where you can plug it. Many albergues will unquestionably accommodate this but AI have been to some where the plugs are not "conveniently" located to all of the beds\bunks.
My suggestion would be - like it or not start contacting various albergues\hostels etc and ask them what is their situation. I do recall from one of your other posts that you speak Spanish so you got one-up already with communication no barriers. That accomplish - zero in on ones you like and book. Yes it will take the spontaneity away but should give you a much needed peace of mind.

Good luck & Buen Camino
I have a CPAP machine and so does my husband and unless we're staying someplace without any electricity, we've always been accommodated. I do carry an extension cord with 2 outlets now so we can share one outlet if needed. I can use a rubber band to attach it to the bunkbed so our machine plugs will both reach.

they were very insistent that “all of Europe” is on vacation in August.
That may almost be true, but they are certainly not all walking the Meseta!

why would stretches like that be crowded that time of the year? I can see SJPDP to Pamplona, maybe even Burgos, then the infamous Sarria stretch,
Your instincts are good.

Here are two threads that discuss the "devil in the detail" of any statement about crowding:

You haven't said when in August. At the end of the month, you might get increasing numbers from SJPP as the busiest time of year (early September) approaches. Earlier in August I would not expect difficulties before Astorga or Sarria, except you should be aware that on weekends, beds can fill up in destination towns.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I don’t know how to paste multiple quotes in one response, so I’ll try to address your responses the best I can:

Zubiri: I just booked it online, I found a nice place through Gronze and booked online. Although I’m a native Spanish speaker, I’m not familiar with some of the Spain terminology but I think I figured it out. So I’m good all the way to Zubiri, with reservations (fun fact: I would say “reservación, they say “reserva” from my overnight pre-camino Pamplona stay, SJPDP for 3 days, Orrison, Roncesvalles, and Zubiri. I probably will book at Pamplona, although I don’t know if I want to book the same place or try a different one for variety’s sake.

August in Spain/Europe: my impression has always been that they all flee towards the beaches, why on earth would anybody want to walk through a broiling Meseta in their time off? Maybe people like me, out of their minds, how many of us are there? I figure the Meseta would be the worst part in terms of the heat, since I imagine that climbing the Pyrenees, then going uphill to O Cebreiro might be cooler, and I expect to be soaked at Galicia, not my idea of an European summer vacation. But I don’t actually know, I’m sure I’ll find out!

CPAP: So far, I’ve mailed all the places about it, and the only one that might be an issue is the SJPDP Gite, who told me that every room has outlet plugs, but they couldn’t (wouldn’t?) guarantee me a lower bunk and that i might need to rely on the kindness of strangers (the response was in French so that’s what I think he meant). anyway, no biggie. My sleep apnea is actually not all that severe, I was diagnosed with an AHI of 9, which is considered mild, while some of my friends were diagnosed with much, much higher AHI’s, so I’m sure missing a day here or there wouldn’t be a huge deal. On the other hand, my snoring might be an issue for my fellow pilgrims, maybe that will convince them to let me use a lower bunk. Besides, since I’m an older fellow with a grey beard, I hope that will facilitate some kindness my way, but who know these days!

I haven’t walked the Camino yet, but I’m starting to feel a bit of an expert (just a little bit)! I just got introduced to someone that is planning it also in August of next year, so I think I have a head start.

Somewhat off topic: I think, in some ways, my Camino has already started. For personal reasons, I’m experiencing all kinds of feelings that I haven’t felt in a long time, I wonder how often that happens?

Thanks for all the helpful feedback! Much appreciated.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I don’t know how to paste multiple quotes in one response, so I’ll try to address your responses the best I can:
Easy enough
at the bottom of each post there is a button that says + Quote (right between the Thumbs Up Like and Left-Arrow Reply) - Click on it
Go to the next post you wish to "quote" and click on that + Quote button
Continue until you got all your quotes
Now go to blank Reply window (like you usually do) and click on the button "Insert Quotes"
It will show you all the quotes you "saved" and will ask to confirm if that's what you want to do - say Yes
Bingo! :)

Last edited:
CPAP: So far, I’ve mailed all the places about it, and the only one that might be an issue is the SJPDP Gite, who told me that every room has outlet plugs, but they couldn’t (wouldn’t?) guarantee me a lower bunk and that i might need to rely on the kindness of strangers (the response was in French so that’s what I think he meant). anyway, no biggie. My sleep apnea is actually not all that severe, I was diagnosed with an AHI of 9, which is considered mild, while some of my friends were diagnosed with much, much higher AHI’s, so I’m sure missing a day here or there wouldn’t be a huge deal. On the other hand, my snoring might be an issue for my fellow pilgrims, maybe that will convince them to let me use a lower bunk. Besides, since I’m an older fellow with a grey beard, I hope that will facilitate some kindness my way, but who know these days!
Hmmm... C-PAP issue I did not have but any albergue that I contacted and asked for the lower bunk reasonably close to the bathroom (being a senior citizen who makes frequent trips) responded in kind and I had my wish. Save for one where I got a "First come first served" response and did wind up with the top bunk... not ever going to stay in that place again (save for the possibility of that hospitalera not being there anymore).
IMHO it is not "that hard" to "reserve" a bunk for someone, esp. an elderly gentleman with a medical condition.
Curious as to what @J Willhaus may say based on her experience.

Easy enough
at the bottom of each post there is a button that says + Quote (right between the Thumbs Up Like and Left-Arrow Reply) - Click on it
Go to the next post you wish to "quote" and click on that + Quote button
Continue until you got all your quotes
Now go to blank Reply window (like you usually do) and click on the button "Insert Quotes"
It will show you all the quotes you "saved" and will ask to confirm if that's what you want to do - say Yes
Bingo! :)
Thanks! It worked!
Hmmm... C-PAP issue I did not have but any albergue that I contacted and asked for the lower bunk reasonably close to the bathroom (being a senior citizen who makes frequent trips) responded in kind and I had my wish. Save for one where I got a "First come first served" response and did wind up with the top bunk... not ever going to stay in that place again (save for the possibility of that hospitalera not being there anymore).
IMHO it is not "that hard" to "reserve" a bunk for someone, esp. an elderly gentleman with a medical condition.
Curious as to what @J Willhaus may say based on her experience.
I also do need to be close to the bathroom due to needing trips in the middle of the night. It will be fun to wander around in the darkness with my cPAP head gear in place (I just disconnect the tube) and run into somebody looking like some alien creature! We’ll see how it goes!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When I am hospitalera, I usually assign bunks so I know who is where in case there is a fire or other emergency. (It doesn't mean that people don't switch out when I am not looking.) At one albergue we had a "template" of the beds on a paper so I could make a note of which had been assigned to who and which ones were still open. This is more of an issue at larger albergues. Usually we hold back one or two lower bunks to assign last. This can be for walkers later in the day who may have some kind of issue, but this is not the case everywhere. Some places you just stake out our own places. Other places you are assigned. Every place will be different and remember I work at places where there are no reservations. Occasionally (and only once or twice has this happened to me.) All the beds were filled almost immediately after opening.

@J Willhaus - fully understood, but if you did get a request such as we are discussing - would you try to accommodate within reasons?

@HBS60 - Good luck my friend. I do hope that some hother albergues' hospitaleras\os will be more sympathetic. Of course I do not know what your financial situation is but there is always an option for a private room (perhaps not at ALL but some places)
Buen Camino!

@J Willhaus - fully understood, but if you did get a request such as we are discussing - would you try to accommodate within reasons?

@HBS60 - Good luck my friend. I do hope that some hother albergues' hospitaleras\os will be more sympathetic.
I am confused. Everything @J Willhaus has said suggest that she would be very sympathetic and would try her utmost to accommodate the needs of pilgrims.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
OK no problems; sometimes i'm a little hard to comprehend what folks are saying :)
You can say that I'm confused more that you are :rolleyes:🤣

@HBS60 - Good luck my friend. I do hope that some hother albergues' hospitaleras\os will be more sympathetic. Of course I do not know what your financial situation is but there is always an option for a private room (perhaps not at ALL but some places)
Buen Camino!
If I had an open lower bunk, I would try to accommodate and I would run an extension cord (taped to the floor for safety and to avoid a trip hazard) to someone who needed it for a CPAP. I have found that often pilgrims will police themselves and if they see someone who needs a lower bunk will offer before I have to ask them to switch. I don't think I have ever had to ask someone to switch.

Just a word to the wise @HBS60, being by the door of the bunk room isn't always a great thing. Automatic lights clicking on and off all night, as people go in and out to use the facility can drive you mad, as can the sound of flushing all night long. Sometimes the bathroom is also not close to your bunk room and may be on an entirely different level which is a blessing and a curse, too.

I like to think of the Camino as being kind of like when I was in the Army. The Army (or Camino) isn't about you or your needs, but you need to be about the needs of the Army (or the Camino) if you are a Soldier (or a pilgrim).

Three observations...

...I ended up reserving 1 to 3 days ahead on the Primitivo last year up until the end. The last 50km of the Frances were pretty full at the end of September on the weekend. You should be good working 1-2 days ahead until at least Sarria.

...I'm pretty sure that I ended up in lower bunks because the hospitalera/ o
took one look at my sorry self and realized that I'd probably never make it up the ladder. I know that the first hospitalera I stayed with in Salas took my phone and called Carmen in La Espina 😉

...Most importantly, HBS60, yes, you have already started your Camino. What you're experiencing, in one or another fashion, has happened to each one of us that had more than 2 days between decision to walk and walking ( and, frankly, I suspect they did too 😉. Expect the resistance, doubts, anxieties, and fears to increase as you get closer to go time, interspersed with giddiness and moments of joy.

Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've walked the Francés in summer three times (june / july / august), and never really had a big problem finding accommodation except once, and even then I got a bed in the end.

Is it crowded during the last 100km? Yes, very much so. But there's also tons of accommodation.

I have never booked Roncesvalles, Zubiri or Pamplona. Never saw the need to.

To be honest, I don't really get the drama that is sometimes created about accommodation availability.

If one albergue or town is full, there are still other albergues in the next towns? Usually that's not more than a few kms away.

I don't plan my stages to walk until complete exhaustion, and I make sure that the next town with beds is not too far away, so, adding a few more kms of walk at the end of the day is usually the worst that can happen and not really a problem, just a change of plans.

Only once I had to add a few kms after Triacastela, and once had to take transport from Pamplona to Puente La Reina during San Fermin due to extremely bad planning on my part. In Puente la Reina the albergue was almost empty!

In an absolute worst case scenario, you can always walk into the next bar, have a beer or coffee, and ask the staff to please call a taxi to the next place with a bed. That's enough of a security blanket for me.

People will say "but you haven't walked in may or september". No. I haven't. Maybe that's when the drama is to be found. I certainly did not find it in summer. Definitely not in the meseta!

This year I'll walk in the very busy spring time. Maybe I'll finally see the famous bed race and dozens of pilgrims sleeping in the street... Still didn't make any reservations except the first night in St Jean (because of late arrival). I'll bring my tent though, and will try to leave the beds for the others, if possible.

Really there is nothing wrong with making reservations. Sometimes they're needed (lesser walked routes, bottlenecks, major holidays, health reasons...). Sometimes they are good for a relaxed start of your journey or for peace of mind. Sometimes it is simply preference, which is also okay. If someone prefers to book their whole journey before, for whatever reasons, that's completely fine. Everyone has different needs.

But what I don't understand is the fearmongering, scaring others to also book everything in advance...? I really don't get it.

Yes there are times when albergues or even whole towns fill up completely. But that's not the "everyday, everywhere, always" norm. That happens in bottleneck places and popular "end of stage" towns during very busy times, or during major holidays like easter or San Fermin.

I know that even the giant Roncesvalles albergue does fill up during main season (because it's an iconic place most pilgrims want to stop at). But there's more beds in several towns not much further. Even the campsite in Urrobi has bunk beds in dormitorios!

So, I'd say, make reservations for your first few days until Pamplona to have a relaxed start with no worry about where you sleep. Then just see what happens. Plan your stages in a way that there's enough beds in the towns you want to stop in, and another town with beds not much further. Only walk so far that you'd still feel okay to walk for another hour or so. Maybe bring a short extension cord for your CPAP. Ask fellow pilgrims to switch beds if you get one that is too far away from the next power outlet. That shouldn't be a problem.

Your gut feeling that the meseta will not be overrun by hordes in the middle of the summer ist spot on! Enjoy the fantastic meseta sunrises and sunsets, the hot wind, the blue skies, the ice cold beer and aquarius in the small town bars. Bring swimming trunks, there are some places with nice pools!

Buen Camino, peregrino :)

Sometimes replies to these type of threads can be a bit alarming for a first timer, often in a well-meaning way. And it is normal for many of us to tend to try and over-plan before what is quite a big undertaking of a 500 mile walk across a foreign country, but most of us will find it was unnecessary in hindsight.

I have no doubt you will be fine, whatever strategy you employ, and the thought and enthusiasm of your posts is wonderful to see. The vast majority of people along the way are good people who will try and look after one another, and the path is of good energy.

I have found in the last few years that weekends tend to be more crowded, as local Spaniards spend a few days knocking off short segments of the Camino, and tourists travel to popular weekend spots. So there were big stretches of the Frances between Pamplona and Sarria that didn't need pre-booking except on weekends in tourist destinations (I spent a Saturday night in Castrojeriz, a small village in the Meseta, and there were plenty of openings in mid-September, usually a busy time on the Camino). And be warned that Saturday nights anywhere in Spain tend to be noisy as Spaniards party out on the streets until 4 am. Earplugs are your best friend!

Greetings!
Thanks!
I have walked many times in Summer, from mid-July to mid-August and never understood why some people say it is the most crowded time. Yes, a reservation in SJPdP is advisable, so you don't have to look for a bed when you arrive and are probably exhausted, definitely Orrison but otherwise Imo you'll be fine.
Another place I would book is O Cebreiro as it is very touristy in Summer (especially at week-ends) and of course SdC.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back