• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pre paid mobile phone SIM card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wendyjoy

Time of past OR future Camino
french route Le Puy 2012
camino santiago 2013
camino finesterre/muxia 2013
Can anyone tell me whether it is best to have a spanish pre-paid sim card put into my mobile phone while walking from St Jean pied de port to Santiego?
Can I buy a spanish sim at the Charles de Gualle airport or do I have to be on the Spanish side of the border for this eg. Pamplona?
I will be landing in Paris from Melbourne then flying to Biarritz then to St Jean.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Wendyjoy,
As I understand it you can only buy the Spanish SIM in Spain and French in France etc.
However, I purchased one (Spanish SIM)in Australia prior to leaving at:
mobipassport.com.au
They are Pre-Activated and Registered and preloaded with 5 Euro's, you then just purchase additional vodafone prepaid cards along the way.
Buen Camino.
Col

I was advised to wait till I got to Spain to buy a phone or sim card. Be aware of Sat afternoon and Sunday closures even in a big city like Pamplona. once you have the phone card it is easy to load more time on your Spanish phone at larger grocery tores and tobbacoist. Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
¡ Hola Wendy !

Just go to a shop called the Phone House in Pamplona address 67 Avenida Carlos III and buy yourself a so called " pre pago " simcard.

If you own an Iphone they resize the simcard to the mini sim format. Using your spanish pre pago simcard, you can easily upgrade the amount of money by internet,using your creditcard .
Due to the provider you 'll choose at the Phonehouse, at a lot of supermarkets you can buy a ticket with an upgrading number for f.ex. €20 .

Off course there are other providers who have shops in the bigger cities like f.ex. Vodaphone.
Just look around in the citycenter or shopping mall and you will find them easily.

¡ Buen camino y mucho suerte !

There are no Spanish SIM chips available in France for use in Spain. Near the central plaza in Pamplona is

Vodafone
Calle Estafeta, 79
31001 Pamplona, Navarra, Spain
607 10 02 17

There has been an English speaking clerk there every time I have visited. There are plans just for voice/text, or data/voice/text pay as you go plans. The chip and 10E of credit costs about 10E.

You need an unlocked cell phone in order to put a SIM chip into it.

Like the original poster- it will be some days before I get to Pamploma- I am flying into Paris then train Bayonne and then to St Jean.

So what is the chance of getting this organized in Bayonne or St Jean ??

Also I have not found a need for an iphone at home- use regular mobile ( cheapest one I could buy from Optus) and have net connection on laptop.

However for phone and net on camino for safety and reassuring family ( my daughter 27 is worried about her crazy mother ! ) do you think ir better I get iphone?? Someone else told me when travelling she takes regular phone and get local chip and also takes ipod MINI which is light and can get net connection with that. I dont really need that at home.

Any ideas gratefully accepted and thanks in advance :)

Annie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola Annie,
You mentioned your Optus Phone, is it unlocked? You will need an "unlocked" phone to use a local SIM.
An option is to purchase a Spain SIM online before you leave (I believe you're in Brisbane) from http://www.mobipassport.com.au/Spain-SIM-p/spain-hits.htm. If you have an iphone you can purchase an internet "bolt on" for browsing and emails, or no iphone and text for 40cents (approx) either way calls to Australian landlines are free for the first 5min.
Buen Camino
Colin

Annie Little said:
Any ideas gratefully accepted and thanks in advance :)
Annie

I purchased a Spain Sim in Australia from http://www.mobipassport.com.au/. The Spanish service provider is Hits Mobil which use the Vodafone network, the best feature of this Sim is that you can make free 5 minute calls to Australian landlines and localal call rates are 0.08 euro p/m

Hola Colin

Your post was not there when before I posted my reply:). I have purchased my sim with internet bolt on for my iPhone for my camino in June this year, have you used the service in Spain? If so, how did you find it, was it easy to top up in Spain?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
ffp13 said:
Hola ColinYour post was not there when before I posted my reply:). I have purchased my sim with internet bolt on for my iPhone for my camino in June this year, have you used the service in Spain? If so, how did you find it, was it easy to top up in Spain?
Yes, used it last year on Camino worked well, no problem "topping up" in convenience type stores along the way. Just need to make sure you have credit before bill cycle for "bolt on" or it gets cut off, but vodafone have English help desk if you need to sort anything out. Had no major overage issues, except reception bit of a problem around Castrojeriz. However, there was no 5min call to Australia then, so used an Ekit SIM (callback type) for contacting the kids back home. Will use it again in October/November.
Buen Camino
Colin

Travelsim sold at Australian Post, credits last six months not 30 days, Buen Camino

Hhhhhola ! :)

I feel like I am already on the Camino :) - not till Sept :) though

Thanks for the replies and your time

Annie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Annie wrote:

do you think ir better I get iphone?? Someone else told me when travelling she takes regular phone and get local chip and also takes ipod MINI which is light and can get net connection with that. I dont really need that at home.

IMHO if you are used to using a regular phone and use a laptop for internet connection you could find it more useful to change to an unlocked smartphone with a local prepaid SIM card to do the work of the regular phone and a laptop to keep in contact with your family. The other way to contact the family is to use the Ekit mentioned by Colin, local callback type cards are sold by tobacconists in France for French users and Spanish cards in Spain which is quite economical and easy to use, the easiest is still to use the increasingly plentiful wifi connections to contact the family through the smartphone by Skype, Viber, Tango, and other video chat apps.

If you have not committed to getting an iPhone you may find it better to use the many alternative Android smartphones sold in Australia for the Camino. The reasons are many: the alternative smartphones have unlocked GSM frequencies in use in Spain and France; you do not need a "bolt on" as they work as soon as you slip in a French or Spanish SIM; the cost of these smartphones (not the iPhones) are dropping rapidly and cost no more than a regular mobile; the alternative smartphones have interchangeable batteries which can be charged externally; there is no need to guard the phone whilst the spare battery (or batteries ... I carry four) are charging at leisure; with a bit of practice you can write messages and blogs very quickly using the intelligent predictive typing assistance; you can also do them by speaking and editing afterwards; the smartphones have normal memory cards for storing and transferring saved data such as photos, music, and videos.

The latest smartphones (not the iPhone yet) have 12 to 13 MP and HD video cameras, with the slip in slip out memory cards (they take 32 MB each now) you can take hours of videos and thousands of high quality pictures on one memory card. These pictures and videos can be zipped instantly and freely to family by Whatsapps and other social media apps, or to your data bank or to the cloud or to facebook without looking for a computer. The pictures can be edited in the phone before sending e.g to name a few basic ones: cropping will bring the subject nearer without the need for a zoom lens; dark pictures can be made lighter and vice versa; colour tone and other features can be transformed or enhanced.

Others have written on the multitude of using the smartphones for map reading and GPS, torch, alarm clock, music hearing and recording, to name a few.

There are thousands of other apps which are available for the Android and IOS, the problem is what to leave out. At the end of the day you can keep using the smartphone when you return home however much you love the normal mobile phone. BTW I am a 73 year old with a household full of children and grand-kids using a mix of the latest IOS and Android equipment, I have no preferences when I use them at home so am not biased.

Hope this helps you in phone selection, the advise on which SIM Card to select is very well covered by the other forum experts.

Thanks everyone ! Your knowledge on the sudject is impressive :)

Annie

Thank you to all that have posted their invaluable ideas on the best options for phone usage on the camino.
I am going on May of this year and I am travelling on my own, (I am leaving Australia and arriving in SJDP on my own), Hence phone usage with give me comfort and safety of mind. I hope to make many friends on the way.
Mary

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola Colin

Your post was not there when before I posted my reply:). I have purchased my sim with internet bolt on for my iPhone for my camino in June this year, have you used the service in Spain? If so, how did you find it, was it easy to top up in Spain?

Is the internet bolt necessary if just wanting to use free wiifii ?? I will try to get Mobipass this year….. last year they did not have any spanish sims for monnnnths .

No. Wifi will work with everything else turned off. At the moment I've got phone voice and data turned off. Wifi still works.

I've noticed shops selling Lebara sims. While I haven't checked into it (no need at the moment) I used Lebara in Germany last year. It was cheap and convenient. They tend to target an international user base so might be easier for non residents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.