• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Priest on the Primitivo

PadreW

Bearded Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Howdy Everybody,

I'm Padre W, a Roman Catholic priest from the central US. I completed the Camino Primitivo on July 24, 2019. It was a tough trek but worth every blister and ache. Ever since I returned home I began preparing to go again only this next time I was planning on taking my older sister. She had never travelled, but she dreamed of walking the Camino. I promised her that she and I would go and that I'd and take care of planning, flights, everything. The W duo was getting prepared and getting stoked.

Sadly, in April of 2021 her third battle with cancer came to an end. She was only 42 and left behind a husband and 3 great kids. The last movie my sister and I watched together just before she passed was The Way where I got to tell her about some of the places and experiences shown in the movie. Our mother, who was not exactly thrilled with the idea of two of her grown kids going "backpacking across Europe" watched it with us and afterword she began to understand the draw of the Camino. At the funeral the only thing placed in her coffin was the pilgrim shell I carried on my pack from Oviedo to SdC.

So, this summer I will start the Primitivo solo. But, I hope to meet and walk alongside plenty of fellow peregrinos along the way. I'll step off from Oviedo on July 7, 2021 and, God willing, I'll reach SdC by July 20. My first Camino went off very well, but it's amazing how easy planning is for Camino numero dos.

I've been ordained for 6 years so if anybody has any questions about some of the crazy fun Catholic stuff they see and experience on the Way I'll be happy to answer them.

¡Buen Camino!

Padre W​

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Howdy Everybody,

I'm Padre W, a Roman Catholic priest from the central US. I completed the Camino Primitivo on July 24, 2019. It was a tough trek but worth every blister and ache. Ever since I returned home I began preparing to go again only this next time I was planning on taking my older sister. She had never travelled, but she dreamed of walking the Camino. I promised her that she and I would go and that I'd and take care of planning, flights, everything. The W duo was getting prepared and getting stoked.

Sadly, in April of 2021 her third battle with cancer came to an end. She was only 42 and left behind a husband and 3 great kids. The last movie my sister and I watched together just before she passed was The Way where I got to tell her about some of the places and experiences shown in the movie. Our mother, who was not exactly thrilled with the idea of two of her grown kids going "backpacking across Europe" watched it with us and afterword she began to understand the draw of the Camino. At the funeral the only thing placed in her coffin was the pilgrim shell I carried on my pack from Oviedo to SdC.

So, this summer I will start the Primitivo solo. But, I hope to meet and walk alongside plenty of fellow peregrinos along the way. I'll step off from Oviedo on July 7, 2021 and, God willing, I'll reach SdC by July 20. My first Camino went off very well, but it's amazing how easy planning is for Camino numero dos.

I've been ordained for 6 years so if anybody has any questions about some of the crazy fun Catholic stuff they see and experience on the Way I'll be happy to answer them.

¡Buen Camino!

Padre W​
There is a mediaeval tradition of doing the Camino for a pilgrim who died before they could follow th route themselves. I have done this for two brilliant and wonderful women friends taken by cancer. The pilgrim's office in Santiago will, should you wish it, inscribe your sister's name on the compostela as a pilgrimage pro vicari (I think my memory of the Latin is right)-- have her name written out for the official to write it on the document. I took many photographs along the way and made them into an album for their families.

As well, the cathedral welcomes RC priests to concelebrate (or they used to--- heaven knows what Covid has done to that idea) at the pilgrims' mass. Schlep your celebret so they know that you're kosher. As well, priests along the way will often be happy to have you at the altar-- again, bring your celebret, and let them know as soon as you arrive in the pueblo. You can easily pick up a Novus Ordo in Spanish in the US, if you would like to practise.

The primitivo is a great route-- I am a repeat offender and am greatly oppressed that one cannot find sidra natural very easily in Canada.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Howdy Everybody,

¡Buen Camino!

Padre W​

In 2002, I went on my second camino.

Along the way, I had kinda, sorta, hoped I’d meet a nice man, as had many other women.

I did; seven Catholic priests and a bishop.

May God guide your footsteps.

Buen camino.

Last edited:
So sorry for the loss of your sister. It is lovely that you shared some of the camino together by watching The Way and talking about your journey. I wish you well for your trip this year. I walked the CF to honour the life of my brother and the VF to honour the life of my mother - for myself as well of course, but it felt good to connect their lives and what they gave to my daily footsteps and experiences along the way.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am sorry for your loss and I am sure you know she walks with you. Carry a stone. I am sure you know that for centuries people have carried the burden of a stone to leave a burden or sins behind. I know Cruz de Ferro is the traditional place to leave it. In 2014 my daughter studied in Buenos Aires. She stayed with the most fantastic retired couple who had been hosting students for years. When I went to Buenos Aires to travel with Danielle and return home I took the couple and one of their sons to a farewell dinner. As they said their goodbyes, Danielle's second Papi broke down crying. His son was standing next to me and he started to cry. He told me in his 48 years he had never seen his father cry and here he was with tears flowing and flowing. Three years later he passed away from cancer. I walked the Camino Portuguese that year. I carried a rock my daughter found and sent me in his memory. It stayed in my pocket the whole time, even many nights when I slept. There was no Cruz de Ferro to leave the stone. When I got to Santiago I went into our Church (I am Jewish but to me the Cathedral is not just a symbol of religion, it is a sanctuary of peace and love). In the silent meditation chapel. I am not sure the name of it. I left my little stone against a wall. I meditated and pictured the love of this man for my daughter and it was a profound experience for me. It brought me peace knowing she has 3 men in her life looking after her. Her father, her second father and her Grandfather. Buen Camino

Padre W, I offer you my most sincere condolescences. I walked the Primitivo in 2017, one year after my wife passed away from cancer. I remember very clearly thinking about her during the mass at the end of my Camino and how it made me feel like I had honored her memory by walknig the Camino. It was a very emotional experience and I am glad that I was able to honor her memory during my pilgrimage. I started the Primitivo alone in Oviedo but after 3 days, I had already become part of a small group of 5 pilgrims from France, Belgium and Poland. We stayed together for the remaining of the time, until we arrived at the Cathedral. It is an experience that I hope to be able to repeat soon, as I had planned to do the Via de la Plate in 2020. I have now postponed my trip to 2022 in the hope that we will be able to travel safely at that time.
Buen Camino

Buen Camino to you, Father, and to your sister! May you both have a wonderful journey!
You are not alone in taking someone who has passed on to join your pilgrimage. One of my sisters passed away, also from advanced cancer, in December, 2019. On hearing of my adventures on the camino, she had expressed a desire to do a minimum hike along the trails at some future point-- she had even volunteered to help out with picnic set-up for the local chaper activities with American PIlgrims on the Camino, APOC. She kept all the momentos from those events, and I found several hiking items, both gear and clothing (in her size, so I know they weren't planned gifts for others) in the closet I cleared out. She was going in her mind, I'm sure. So I planned a way to fulfill her dream. I was to take with me a lock of her hair on my next camino. It was scheduled for mid spring 2020, but the Covid pandemic forced me to cancel and reschedule several times. I will soon be booking for departure sometime in late April, 2022 and returning in late June 2022.
While doing all the re-planning, my uncle of 96 years (also my godfather) passed away, and so did two dear friends. I have credentials for all of them and will be making this journey to bestow upon them all the graces possible, and extend the tribute to their families. I actually have 3 other family members interested in joining me for this journey-- hoping that all works out with their jobs and families so that they could join me in Spain.
I will be praying that all works out to be a truly special Camino for you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Howdy Everybody,

¡Buen Camino!

Padre W​
You will be starting your camino tomorrow, @Padre W

Be assured of our thoughts and prayers for you and your sister on this journey!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back