• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Purchasing a credential

F

Former member 59618

Hello! I'm in the tentative planning stages for a mid-January (brrr!) camino. Previously in the past, I've picked up credentials in either Le Puy or had one mailed to me from Casa Ivar. I'm deciding between SJPdP, Valcarlos or Roncesvalles) and I wonder...does the Roncesvalles albergue sells pilgrim credentials? I seem to remember a case of goodies at reception while standing in line to pay for my room and dinner.

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My current plan involves walking a combination of routes- The Camino Madrid to Sahagun, then the Camino de Salvador to Oviedo and The Camino Primivito to Santiago. In order to stay in albergues along a route, do you need a credential specific to that route or will the credential bought in Madrid carry me along all the routes I plan to walk?

My current plan involves walking a combination of routes- The Camino Madrid to Sahagun, then the Camino de Salvador to Oviedo and The Camino Primivito to Santiago. In order to stay in albergues along a route, do you need a credential specific to that route or will the credential bought in Madrid carry me along all the routes I plan to walk?
One will do for all - you might want more than one, though, if like me you collect lots of sellos.

I am infusing myself into this thread :) I have searched, but haven´t been able to find an answer to my question. I wish to get a credential that is not the standard one from Ivar's store (I have already used that one in 2022). So the question is, where can I order one? As different as possible :-D I have gone all in on my search, but haven't found my answer.

I am starting in Porto this year but I am not sure if i will be there in the opening hours of the Cathedral (where I have understood I could get one).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The credencial that @ivar sells is one of those recognized and approved by the Cathedral. If you want to branch out, make your own. If you want something really distinctive I make some excellent ones out of elf-skin. Five gold coins. Certificate of authenticity included
Love it! I had planned on making my own, but have been told that the pilgrims office doesn't approve it. And I am not sure if a Compostela will be on my to-do list this time. I wish to have the option.

But I know I have seen different ones on the Camino, I myself have three different at this point (two from Ivar, and one from along the way). So I hoped that someone could point me in the direction of some interesting ones by for exemple local assosiations (the Norwegian one tells me they do not have their own).

I am infusing myself into this thread :) I have searched, but haven´t been able to find an answer to my question. I wish to get a credential that is not the standard one from Ivar's store (I have already used that one in 2022). So the question is, where can I order one? As different as possible :-D I have gone all in on my search, but haven't found my answer.

I am starting in Porto this year but I am not sure if i will be there in the opening hours of the Cathedral (where I have understood I could get one).
Every man and his dog issues credencials. There are a wide variety. I’ve got ‘standard’ in about four iterations; holy year, UK Confraternity, Amigos of Burgos, Madrid, Malaga, Leon and Valencia. I’ve (or rather my companion has) a dog one.

If you fancy a bit of research contact one of the many local groups or ‘amigos’ in Spain. Expect to communicate in Spanish and pay international postage.

I picked one up in Porto also, but you may be disappointed to hear it was the common-or-garden Santiago variety. A religious institution seeking to be ubiquitous, what is the world coming to?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ivar carries the standard Santiago catedral version. For awhile there was a special Holy Year one from the Cathedral. Some national/regional pilgrim associations issue their own. If a Compostela is important to you, you should confirm if the credencial you use is acceptable at the Pilgrim Office. I understand that they got stricter and stopped accepting some credenciales, perhaps to discourage commercialization and sale/issue from private companies.

I just ordered the one from Camino society Ireland - loved the illustration. So funny how these small things are part of getting ready for and looking forward to my next Camino.

I just ordered the one from Camino society Ireland - loved the illustration. So funny how these small things are part of getting ready for and looking forward to my next Camino.
Good choice. The Irish credential is one of my favorites.
I also like the Portuguese credentials. I ordered a few of them in 2019.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You appear to have resolved having something different. The Pilgrim Office website has this to say:

Today there is an official Credencial model distributed and accepted by the Office of Pilgrimages of the Diocese of Santiago. You can get it by requesting it in person at the Pilgrim’s Reception Office or other institutions authorised by the Cathedral of Santiago for their distribution, such as parish churches, Associations of Friends of the Way of St. James, pilgrim hostels, confraternities, etc.
That said, I have walked with the credencial from the now defunct Associacao de Amigos dos Caminhos de Fatima, which was accepted at the Pilgrim Office. So I'm not sure how rigorously they are in only recognizing 'official' credencials.

I purchased from Ivar inc protective cover and donation. Arrived within 7 days across Europe. Faultless.

Although I'll probably frame it double sided with perspex its the cranial experience I'll be on the Camino for. It'll only hang in the garden office in any case.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.