• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pyrenees

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't know if I can be considered average, but getting to Orrison (with lots of breaks) took 3 hours and getting from there to Roncesvalles in pouring down rain the following morning took 8 hours.

Edited correction: just checked my notes and it was only 6 1/2 hours. Gosh, sure seemed like 8.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don't know if I can be considered average, but getting to Orrison (with lots of breaks) took 3 hours and getting from there to Roncesvalles in pouring down rain the following morning took 8 hours.

Edited correction: just checked my notes and it was only 6 1/2 hours. Gosh, sure seemed like 8.
Thank you! How strenous is it? I am 62 years old, in pretty good shape and have been walking almost everyday at home. One of these days I will try walking with my backpack full, which will probably weigh 12 lb. Just to know how it feels.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thank you! How strenous is it? I am 62 years old, in pretty good shape and have been walking almost everyday at home. One of these days I will try walking with my backpack full, which will probably weigh 12 lb. Just to know how it feels.
It is very doable and some people do it in one stretch. I personally would break it up again because to try to do it in one stretch, for me, would be more drudgery than pleasure. I was 67, reasonable fitness, took a lot of breaks and my pack weighed 14 pounds.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It is very doable and some people do it in one stretch. I personally would break it up again because to try to do it in one stretch, for me, would be more drudgery than pleasure. I was 67, reasonable fitness, took a lot of breaks and my pack weighed 14 pounds.
Thank you! Very encouraging!

The pyrenees extend for about 491 km (305 mi) from the Bay of Biscay (Cap Higuer) to the Mediterranean Sea (Cap de Creus) and you need to specify what stretch you want to walk. As, presumably, that would be from SJPdP to Roncesvalles, most pilgrims would plan two days, as you will find out soon when browsing this forum. :)
Yes, from SJPdP to Roncesvalles in September. Great forum!

This topic has recently been covered here
Breaking the stage in two, so stopping at Orisson, is a very popular option in this forum. But many pilgrims do it in one day.
Consider also the "low road" by Valcarlos (it also allows doing it in two stages).
Buen camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Is it possible to walk from Orisson to Roncesvalles in two stages?
Not that I know of. Options do include starting at Roncesvalles and skipping the Pyrennees, having your pack carried over them so all you have to get across is yourself, and/or taking a taxi from Orisson to Roncesvalles. I went down that steep slippery hill and wouldn't do that in the rain again. There is a road option from Col de Lepoeder.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I did Orisson to Roncesvalles in 30-40m visibility. Was completely on my own for most of the day until the St Jean front runners caught up and overtook. It was quite simply one of the most serene and beautiful days of my life. I think about it often.

Last year on my first Camino I walked from SJPP to Roncesvalles on the Route Napoleon in 6.5 hours. At 65years of age it was no big deal!! Not particularly steep, just a steady uphill trudge. This time lapse will give you an idea of the terrain.

Last year on my first Camino I walked from SJPP to Roncesvalles on the Route Napoleon in 6.5 hours. At 65years of age it was no big deal!! Not particularly steep, just a steady uphill trudge. This time lapse will give you an idea of the terrain.

Great video! Thanks! I will share with my husband. I hope we have as good weather as you did.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

There is the border hut. No services though. Not even an outhouse.

Otherwise your only options are if you are prepared to stay outside overnight.

What, no snow or rain? Are you sure it was the Pyrenees? :D

I can't answer the question exactly because I can't remember! All I know is that I left early morning after breakfast and arrived in the afternoon, could have been 3 or 4? Before 5 anyway because by then my washing was done and I was taking the sun on the grass banks after booking the evening meal :)
It really depends on fitness rather than age. The first year I thought it might kill me (the bit before arriving at Orisson) but then I assumed in my ignorance it would only get worse. It doesn't. And of course I hadn't had much time to prepare beforehand, I was teaching full-time then.
The second time I was much fitter (I had walked regularly during the year) and I didn't find it an ordeal. Besides, I wasn't scared because I knew what was coming. It's a lot in the mind! :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

That time lapse is wonderful, so helpful!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Of course, if you are prepared to camp out.:) There is no accommodation after Orisson until you reach Roncesvalles.
On average how long does the crossing of the Pyrenees take?
I cannot tell you what an average might be, nor do I know who could. Personally, I took just over 10 hours on Route Valcarlos, but there might have been two hours in that that could be discounted. On the day that I walked, people who had left SJPP at about the same time as I did and walked Route Napoleon were still arriving for several hours after I had finished for the day. The last that I saw came in four hours later.

That was amazing! I didn't know there would be so much road, rather than path. And the downhill looked more doable than I've imagined. If the weather is good, is it preferable to the alternate road route, with poles? Preferable in the sense of being a better more memorable experience, not too dangerous. :)

I agree that the speed of the video makes the terrain a bit flatter than what it actually is.
But after watching it for the second time, I can remember the steepness of the climb up to Huntto, the rest of the climb well after Orisson, to the Virgin of Biakorri, the Thibault cross, and the steep descent from Alto de Lepoeder into Roncesvalles/Ronceveaux/Orreaga....Yes, I thought the descent would never end as I could see the Monastery/Colegiata Real from hours away.
Lucky I didn't stumble and roll all the way down to the chapel of San Salvador in Ibaneta. :D

Took me almost 8 hours (Orisson from St Jean) . I was 68 , training for two years prior in the Ozarks. Don't let that discourage you , I later found out that the pain in my back was a bulging disc and bone spur @ L5 pushing on my nerve bundle. I made it to Logrono and called it a day .
The picture of me here isn't glory of accomplishment for reaching Orission it's "I surrender!"

The view is Magnificent

That was amazing! I didn't know there would be so much road, rather than path. And the downhill looked more doable than I've imagined. If the weather is good, is it preferable to the alternate road route, with poles? Preferable in the sense of being a better more memorable experience, not too dangerous. :)
Hi Singingheart

The choice of route will depend on the weather forecast on the morning in SJPP. Given a reasonable forecast I would always go for the Route Napoleon but if the weather is bad I would consider the Valcarlos route. The Route Napoleon is an amazing experience not to be missed!!

Hi. I walked from SJPP to Roncesvalles via the Napolean Route on 15th April. It took me 8.5 hours including about 1 hour of rest stops. The steep climb before Orisson and the steep descent from Col de Lepoeder were the hardest parts. There was some snow to be crossed on higher ground but not too bad and greatly helped by my walking stick. Weather was generally okay but very windy on higher ground. It was a great experience. Best advice I got on the way up to Orisson was to take it nice and easy. One man sped past me early on out of SJPP but I passed him before Orisson and he looked done in. So nice and easy does it and best wishes.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
On average how long does the crossing of the Pyrenees take?
Husband & I, left St Jean at 7am, weather cold but sunny, stopped for cafe con leche at Orisson and arrived Roncevalles around 2/3 pm......... May 2013, weather atrocious after Orisson - wind,hail & rain for last 2 hours but wouldn't have missed the Pyrennes for anything...the views (before the bad weather) were magnificent. We are in our 60's, reasonably fit! We're doing Camino in stages, 2013, 5-days as far as Estella......2014, 7-days Estella to Burgos.

Wow - this makes it look do-able. I'll be 60 while on the Camino and work out 3-5 days a week now. I'm encouraged that I can also do this. I'm a good trudger. Thanks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

what months do you do this in please? all the best from australia..

what months do you do this in please? all the best from australia..
May/June is my favourite time. Warm weather, not too crowded and lots of lovely wild flowers along the way. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back