• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pyrenees?

J.Patrick

Time of past OR future Camino
Porto 2015.
Northern 2017
Francigena Oct 2023
I'm finding conflicting info on the internet:

Is the high path from Irun to San Sebastián / Donastia in the Pyrenees? some other range? I'd like to accurately tell my brother what my plan is as I encourage him to join me next August. Thanks in advance.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Is the high path from Irun to San Sebastián / Donastia in the Pyrenees? some other range? I'd like to accurately tell my brother what my plan is as I encourage him to join me next August. Thanks in advance.

I am not sure what you mean by 'high path from Irun to San Sebastián / Donastia'? But no, the Pyrenees proper (what could be considered their foothills might be up to discussion) don't reach that coast, sorry. Buen Camino SY

I would guess it might be considered the foothills of the Montes Vascos, though I couldn't say for sure not foothills of the Pyrenees. While not nearly as high (since you are walking near the coast) what makes the Norte hills challenging is the steep nature, and the frequent ups and downs, imo.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/5e/86/7c/5e867c875f4759170860b2c1e1e8e8c5.jpg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I would guess it might be considered the foothills of the Montes Vascos, though I couldn't say for sure not foothills of the Pyrenees.

Thank you, SYates and Smallest Sparrow, and it's here that things get vague. I know that Wikipedia isn't always accurate, but in their entry on Montes Vascos we get this: "The Basque Mountains (of which Montes Vascos is a part, apparently) are a transitional range between two major ones, the Cantabrian range to the west and the Pyreneesto the east. Geologists call the area "The Basque threshold" and some consider that the Cantabrian Mountains and the Pyrenees are a single greater range and the Basque Mountains are just part of both.[http://www.euskadi.net/cgi-bin_k54/ver_e?CMD=VERDOC&BASE=B03D&DOCN=000082437&CONF=/config/k54/bopv_e.cnf]

Thank you, SYates and Smallest Sparrow, and it's here that things get vague. I know that Wikipedia isn't always accurate, but in their entry on Montes Vascos we get this: "The Basque Mountains (of which Montes Vascos is a part, apparently) are a transitional range between two major ones, the Cantabrian range to the west and the Pyreneesto the east. Geologists call the area "The Basque threshold" and some consider that the Cantabrian Mountains and the Pyrenees are a single greater range and the Basque Mountains are just part of both.[http://www.euskadi.net/cgi-bin_k54/ver_e?CMD=VERDOC&BASE=B03D&DOCN=000082437&CONF=/config/k54/bopv_e.cnf]
that's why I said it would be tough to call what range to say, but I think altitude wise it feels more foothill and less mountain to me...but I am not anything like an expert in the subject...

In case I am misunderstood, I am not making light of the climbing involved in walking the Norte, especially the first step. Since the Norte hugs the coast for quite a bit, your starting, ending, and highest points will usually be below 600m, often 300m--so not rising to the usual cut off of over 600m for a mountain. But compared to many other routes, there is a lot of up and down, often a very steep up and a pretty steep down, over and over for the whole step. Other routes might have true mountains in them, but they are not one right after another, nor is the incline angle so great. I think many when describing the Norte mention how many hills there are...the workout is a notable feature of the route...more pleasant notable features are the woods, beaches, food, history, and art/architecture:) I really enjoyed the norte

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just sell it to him as " we are starting at the foot hills of the Pyrenees" ;-) BC SY
unless that is the problem, then sell it as no where near :)

seriously, Frances walkers have been known to 'put-down' the Norte as too much an athletic endeavor, just print out some of those threads and pictures of the beaches. Tell him San Sebastian has more Michelin star restaurants (density wise) than anywhere else in Spain...how can anyone not love the Norte...did I mention beaches? and horses that follow you through the forest? and the Bufones?

edit: I see you are from Camarillo. Imagine climbing up and then back down the Conejo grade, or the Cuesta grade a few times in a day...doesn't have to be a mountain to give you a workout. And the incline in some places on the norte I"m pretty sure were worse than either the Conejo or Cuestra grades.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My brother's an avid hiker with love for the exotic, so "foothills of the Pyrenees" it is. Thanks for the insights!
I read on another thread you are considering turning off to the CTSNBN (Caminot that shall not be named)...if you can get your brother to stick with you there, then you can check the mountain square for sure. I loved the Norte (but the other one just a bit more....shhhh, keep the secret):)
that combo really gives you the best of all things....from beaches to bears!

I read on another thread you are considering turning off to the CTSNBN (Caminot that shall not be named)...if you can get your brother to stick with you there, then you can check the mountain square for sure. I loved the Norte (but the other one just a bit more....shhhh, keep the secret):)
that combo really gives you the best of all things....from beaches to bears!

The rich enthusiasm people have for the various different ways leads me to want to do them all. My life in the parish puts that beyond my reach, but the encouragement from those of you who have done the CTSNBN really encourages me. I'll pass on your thoughts to my brother. Thank you!

In case I am misunderstood, I am not making light of the climbing involved in walking the Norte, especially the first step. Since the Norte hugs the coast for quite a bit, your starting, ending, and highest points will usually be below 600m, often 300m--so not rising to the usual cut off of over 600m for a mountain. But compared to many other routes, there is a lot of up and down, often a very steep up and a pretty steep down, over and over for the whole step. Other routes might have true mountains in them, but they are not one right after another, nor is the incline angle so great. I think many when describing the Norte mention how many hills there are...the workout is a notable feature of the route...more pleasant notable features are the woods, beaches, food, history, and art/architecture:) I really enjoyed the norte
Hi Smallest Sparrow. I completed the CF this year and am planning on doing the Del Norte around June 2017. The information you have provided above is of a practical nature and is very informative. A lot of information in one paragraph. There are many aspects of walking a camino eg, the weather, the facilities along the way, the comradeship, the emotional aspect etc, all which are very important. But sometimes pilgrims just want some straight out down to earth advice about what to expect when they put their pack on and get walking each day and the advice you have provided is very helpful. Thanks.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@J.Patrick the section between Irun and San Sebastian is definitely not the foothills of the Pyrenees. There are two paths from Irun to Donastia - the "alpista route" or the lower route. Take the "alpista" route which goes straight up the hill immediately after the Santuario de Guadalupe. It is very beautiful, and the first town, San Juan, is in a fjord like setting, clinging to the steep sides. We had not started walking from Irun until about 2 in the afternoon, so we stopped at San Juan and were very glad we did - it is an extraordinary little town split by the inlet from the sea, and the ferry is the means by which everyone does their day to day business.

We though the Norte was spectacular.

It is worthwhile reading through the threads in the forum gathered together in the Norte section.

@J.Patrick the section between Irun and San Sebastian is definitely not the foothills of the Pyrenees. There are two paths from Irun to Donastia - the "alpista route" or the lower route. Take the "alpista" route which goes straight up the hill immediately after the Santuario de Guadalupe. It is very beautiful, and the first town, San Juan, is in a fjord like setting, clinging to the steep sides. We had not started walking from Irun until about 2 in the afternoon, so we stopped at San Juan and were very glad we did - it is an extraordinary little town split by the inlet from the sea, and the ferry is the means by which everyone does their day to day business.

We though the Norte was spectacular.

It is worthwhile reading through the threads in the forum gathered together in the Norte section.
This place is also known as Pasajes. There is a humble albergue on the near side of the downslope in town. It is located in an old church and was also part of my first day on the Norte. I too had a late start having left from the bus station in Irun at about 1:00 pm.
BTW the first flècha was on the sidewalk as I stepped off the bus. I wore the smile that flecha produced for the rest of the day!
Jim

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back