• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question: Orisson Reservation & Inclement Weather

Time of past OR future Camino
2010, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2024
I will start at SJPDP March 30. I had planned to stop at Orisson for March 31. According to this forum, we need to make reservations for Orisson months in advance. However, we are also cautioned to check the weather when we're in SJPDP before deciding to take this route. That means if I made an Orisson reservation with Paypal and NOT take the path due to inclement weather, I would forfeit the 32 Euros. I'm going from SJPDP to Finisterre on a budget. I'm considering whether to bet my 32 Euros on the weather. How do others make this decision? Any other alternatives after Orisson (as Huntto is too short a hike)? Or should I do Plan B on taking the alternate route if the weather is bad and stay at Huntto if the weather is good? Of course, that assumes that I don't need to make a reservation at Huntto... Any thoughts would be welcomed. Thanks in advance. Buen Camino. -Hieu

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am also leaving SJPDP on 3/30. I attempted to make a reservation at the Orisson last week; however I recieved a reply back from them indicating they were not sure they were going to be open at all in March and to call the day prior to inquire whether I can be accomodated.

I am also not sure what my Plan B is....let me know what you come up with. Thanks! :D

Jeez, I'm going to be there on the 30th myself! I also contacted them and they said the same, basically, to call them.
Tell ya what, IF I indeed am in St.J on the 30 and the weather is bad, I'll split a room with as many as can fit on my dime in town.

Mike

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When we stayed at Orisson (April 09) the owner had the following arrangements in place.
Usually there is no problem getting to Orisson, the section the next morning is usually the problem.
So, if the way is difficult due to visibility, the owner guided you up the mountain until he considered it safe for the group to continue without getting lost.
Or, if the way was impassable due to weather/snow, the owner would "shuttle" all the guests by van, back down the mountain and drop you at a similar distance (SJPP - Orisson) on the lower Valcarlos route.
You might check if this service is still provided.
Buen Camino
Col

hello Hieu.
i too plan on being there on the 30th and tried to make a reservation at the Orisson but was told to call just before i get there as he's not sure if they'll be open yet.
i've read your reply "Mike" and thanks for the offer of sharing a room.
and thanks for the info "Col".

Andrea

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
If the weather is not great, I am considering taking the Valcarlos route and staying at the new(er) muni hostel, Luzaideko Aterpea Albergue in Valcarlos. The next day the distance to Roncesvalles is only ~14-15 km. I prefer the Napoleon route and staying at the Orisson, but I think I just found my Plan B if the weather is poor and/or the Orisson decides not to open at all in March. I plan to split the 1st stage to Roncesvalles into 2 days to be gentle on myself and I just need to learn that I can't plan for everything and need to let things happen organically. That is going to be something I hope the camino teaches me as that is just not my nature. :D Buen camino.

Tracey

tristow706 said:
If the weather is not great, I am considering taking the Valcarlos route and staying at the new(er) muni hostel, Luzaideko Aterpea Albergue in Valcarlos. The next day the distance to Roncesvalles is only ~14-15 km. I prefer the Napoleon route and staying at the Orisson, but I think I just found my Plan B if the weather is poor and/or the Orisson decides not to open at all in March. I plan to split the 1st stage to Roncesvalles into 2 days to be gentle on myself and I just need to learn that I can't plan for everything and need to let things happen organically. That is going to be something I hope the camino teaches me as that is just not my nature. :D Buen camino.

Tracey
Thanks to everyone for your posts. I too get the same reply from Refuge Orisson about their not being sure of being open on March 31. I am looking forward to seeing all of you in SJPDP on March 30. I'll be at the L’Esprit du Chemin Hostel in SJPDP. Hopefully Refuge Orisson will be open and all of us can book our reservations with 1 phone call : ) If the weather is bad, my current Plan B is like Tracey's (the Valcarlos route). See you soon in SJPDP.

Buen Camino!

Hieu

Were you able to make a reservation at L’Esprit du Chemin Hostel? I looked at their website and it indicated they were not open until April. Have you spoke or communicated with them as my e-mail has gone unanswered about whether they would be open or not at this time. This hostel is also my 1st choice in SJPDP. Thanks and I look forward to meeting you.

Buen Camino~
Tracey

P.S. I have a forum patch sewn onto my backback so I should be easy to identify. :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hey colinPeter, I too stayed at Orisson in April '09 - April 25, to be precise. It was raining there, snowing on top and sleeting on the Roncesvalles side. Jean-Jacques put our packs in his pickup, waited a few hours and then drove to meet us at the point where the trail leaves the road. He then guided us over, which saved us from the fate of Emilio Estevez. My wife and I were slowest and last; there were times when snowfall was heavy enough to obliterate the party's tracks! I've often wondered what would have happened if conditions had been truly impassable, given that Orisson had to get rid of us somehow. Now I know.

tristow706 said:
Were you able to make a reservation at L’Esprit du Chemin Hostel? I looked at their website and it indicated they were not open until April.
Tracey, I looked on their website and see they re-open 30 March for 2012. I also noticed that Heberta and Arno are off pilgrim-ing again themselves, aiming to reach Jerusalem in stages each autumn. I stayed with them in 2008, and I seem to remember them saying that they returned to Holland to work over the winter, and that the hostel was closed up then. Perhaps they won't be there to receive any e-mails until sometime in March.
Margaret

tristow706 said:
Were you able to make a reservation at L’Esprit du Chemin Hostel? I looked at their website and it indicated they were not open until April. Have you spoke or communicated with them as my e-mail has gone unanswered about whether they would be open or not at this time. This hostel is also my 1st choice in SJPDP. Thanks and I look forward to meeting you.

Buen Camino~
Tracey

P.S. I have a forum patch sewn onto my backback so I should be easy to identify. :D
Tracey, the hostel opens March 30. They begin to take reservations on Feb 15. You can go back to their website and look around you'll find their reservation form. If you have problems, you can click on this link:
http://www.espritduchemin.org/English/contact.html
I may or may not have a forum patch. However, I'll be easy to find. I am a 63 y/o Asian man with a Tilley hat. Indoors, without the hat, you'll see my short (as in almost shaven) haircut LOL
I too am looking forward to seeing you and the others.
Hieu

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
colinPeter said:
When we stayed at Orisson (April 09) the owner had the following arrangements in place.
Usually there is no problem getting to Orisson, the section the next morning is usually the problem.
So, if the way is difficult due to visibility, the owner guided you up the mountain until he considered it safe for the group to continue without getting lost.
Or, if the way was impassable due to weather/snow, the owner would "shuttle" all the guests by van, back down the mountain and drop you at a similar distance (SJPP - Orisson) on the lower Valcarlos route.

To me this seems very kind and decent of Jean Jacques. If I had known about it I would have set off in April instead of May.

Buen Camino to all settin off this month

Lydia

Oh dear, i am at St jean even earlier, starting on the morning of 24th March. IT would seem Orisson will DEFINATELY not be open then. Are there other options not already mentioned in this stream? -this day one seems a bit tricky to me.
If the weather is ok , which i believe the pilgrim office will advise you on, I was hoping to walk all the way through to Roncesvalles -about 8 hours apparently, and would be a whole day's walking. Is this wise? possible? I am of average fitness, 49 with no health issues ( not done any fitness training for camino or anything like that though ) Is there anyone else planning to start that particular day?
I have already paid for 1 night on 23rd March at Auberge du pelerin and have received a confirmation (electronically generated) as i had previously emailed them and received a reply from 'alain" welcoming me. On closer inspection of their site (and after i paid ) though, i saw that they only open on march 30 ? - so thats a bit confusing, im hoping alain didnt make a mistake in welcoming me when they're not actually open :D

eek! Snow?? I'm leaving St Jean on about the 20th April or thereabouts. It sounds as though, if I am to take the Napoleon route, I'm going to have to rethink this 1/2 season sleeping bag idea I had!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back