• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rafa on the Camino

Trawlercat

Time of past OR future Camino
2019 Camino Frances Arrive Madrid 25 March
Flying from Los Angeles to Madrid May 25th 2019 on my first Camino. Planning to walk the Camino Frances and as of today with plans on ending in Finisterre. Giving myself just 44 days for this life altering experience that I have until now only read and viewed on YouTube. Member of the American Pilgrim Association with six iPhone apps under my belt for quick reference.

My equipment is everything left over from an attempted 2011 thru hike of the infamous Pacific Crest Trail. My physical training started just last week. My spiritual training is on going.

Hablo muy bien el Espanol. Fortunately or unfortunately I find myself being rather a bit chatty on the trail if given a chance.

Retired at 55 and at sixty the camino is now calling due to life, family, friends passing on to the great adventure.

My family roots according to my DNA are of the Iberian Peninsula and with a Spanish surname of Perez by way of Cuba and then Miami.

Looking forward to some motivation or online words while waiting my departure flight in less than two months.

Rafa
My given trail name

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Welcome to the Forum, Trawlercat. :)

I don't know if you LITERALLY meant that your gear is everything leftover from your attempted PCT thru-hike, but if so, the good news is that you'll be able to trim that gear list down and save quite a bit of weight.

Your preparation and knowledge base puts you on a great track for going and having a great Camino.

Well it started that way. Since then my then ULA ultralight pack is now a new REI Flash 50, Merrill’s May also change, Mountain Hardwear windbreaker just got updated but, keeping the puffy lightweight down jacket. More to follow. My method is to throw things in a tough bin box and keep testing it, eventually what remains is what will go on the Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yeah, believe me I get that :). Some of my stuff came from both my PCT thru-hike and Colorado Trail thru-hike, as well as keeping assorted stuff that I have gear tested for various companies. Below is the gear list I use for Camino.

The PCT and the AT and the Camino de Santiago don't have much in common.
The first two being actual backpacking hikes, and the Camino being simply a series of long daily walks between towns.
No tent. No water purifier. No cook stove or utensils, and actually save for your daily snacks, no food really.
A late May through July Camino Frances you won't need to bring much gear. About 12 pounds worth, maximum.

Welcome Trawler Cat!

Sounds like we are brothers, ditto retired then stepped out on 15 March 2017 on the Camino Frances, also aged 60. You know, as Dad used to say- "It's good to be (worried/scared/nervous/excited) - it means your paying attention." You sound like you got this knocked! The gear really isn't a big deal.

This ain't no through hike. For you it will be coming back to where you came from and a 800k prayer/meditation. Welcome home, amigo. Walk through your past...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The PCT and the AT and the Camino de Santiago don't have much in common.
The first two being actual backpacking hikes, and the Camino being simply a series of long daily walks between towns.
No tent. No water purifier. No cook stove or utensils, and actually save for your daily snacks, no food really.
A late May through July Camino Frances you won't need to bring much gear. About 12 pounds worth, maximum.
Great info for anyone not doing their due diligence about this trail. For my timeframe I am looking at Cold weather gear, rain, ultralight sleeping bag, etc. My complete load is now at 12 pounds including an REI comfortable but heavy pack at two pounds plus. I am planning on carrying no more than eight pounds. Upgrading to the new iPhone and Apple Watch allow me to leave my camera, guide book, extra batteries etc.

Prepping for the PCT I posted on trailjournals.com. Now that I look back at my gear testing and stories I see that trawlercat ( trail name) has over 65k hits. Will likely do the same for the Camino.

Also, nobody does the trail-name thing on the Camino. Everyone just goes by their actual names. I don't think I met anyone on my Caminos that introduced themselves by a nickname. Only names such as John, Jim, Mary, Katherine, Carlos, etc. I didn't meet anyone named Moonbeam, StarChild, LongBeard, Geezer etc like you do on the AT. :D

Thanks. I have a difficult time remembering names anyway but, looking forward to speaking lots of Spanish on the Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks. I have a difficult time remembering names anyway but, looking forward to speaking lots of Spanish on the Camino.
Pickup some greetings and courtesy phrases in Euskadi(Basque). My greetings in Spanish didn't always get the desired response. They didn't seem to mind Castellano as much in Galicia.

Yeah, believe me I get that :). Some of my stuff came from both my PCT thru-hike and Colorado Trail thru-hike, as well as keeping assorted stuff that I have gear tested for various companies. Below is the gear list I use for Camino.

View attachment 51997
You are so organized, Dave, but then, those of us who feel we know you virtually would not be surprised. You are always so full of wisdom and sound advise. I'm so glad you "came back" and continue to bless and share it with both the newbies and oldies alike!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back