• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Raising money?

BostonPilgrim75

Time of past OR future Camino
9/26/23
Hi! I’m leaving next month for my Camino walk. Curious if people raise money while they walk? My mom died of a glioblastoma 6 years ago and her doctor was fabulous (and is doing much needed research). I’d like to raise money for his research among friends/family, but not sure if it’s gauche to do that while I’m walking Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
People do fundraise while on the Camino, but usually it's in the form of asking people to pledge money before they go. Like $1 for every mile or something like that. It's something that can be done on Facebook or other social media. But I wouldn't solicit money while on the Camino. Perhaps wear a shirt with a message to raise awareness.

People raise money while they walk, but this takes a lot of preparation and a lot of work on the Way to keep your fans updated and grow your fan base. This is easier with a dedicated back office at home.

A first step for you might be to see of this doctor has a fundraising initiative, and if you can connect your own fundraiser.

I follow a pilgrim on social media who is walking from Antwerp in Belgium to SdC. He is fundraising for colon cancer research. His is one of many fundraisers for the same organization:

https://acties.stopdarmkanker.be/fundraisers

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
One of the caminos I have done was a fundraising one. On the back of my pack was this:
1693121489713.png

Plus we had little cards with our blog address to hand out to anyone who asked us about the fundraising. Even on our training walks at home, people would walk up behind us, fall into step alongside us and chat. One lady reached into her bra and pulled out her "safety money" (for a bus ride home if she couldn't run anymore) to give us one morning. We expected it to mostly be our friends who gave, but we were blown away by strangers' generosity, and that didn't change when we got to Spain. We never asked to talk about what we were doing, but there was no shortage of opportunity. It provided great learning for our children - here's my favourite moment: https://charitywalking.wordpress.com/2014/03/06/sacrifice-that-made-me-weep/

And the result for those who benefitted was great: https://charitywalking.wordpress.com/2015/12/02/charity-water-update/

However, I don't ever want to do a fundraising walk again! There was an underlying pressure to finish and fear that we mightn't make it. Then I'd have felt like a fraud. I don't say this to discourage you from doing the same, just to warn you that it might be a thing for you too.

Hi! I’m leaving next month for my Camino walk. Curious if people raise money while they walk? My mom died of a glioblastoma 6 years ago and her doctor was fabulous (and is doing much needed research). I’d like to raise money for his research among friends/family, but not sure if it’s gauche to do that while I’m walking Camino.
I understand the heart movement in your question. Experience tells me that you can use a few platforms to raise money. In my part of the world, sites such as justgiving offer that option. You need to let your contacts know what you will be doing to raise funds, and your contacts can then go ahead and donate.
There will be other more recent possibilities, but if you use your preferred search engine you will find routes to garner results to benefit the charity of your choice. I will give a time to offer some quiet moments for you and your family in your time of loss.
ps: perhaps you might correct a typo: pilgrim. Buen camino.

In 2008, my daughter and myself walked for 10 days during the school holidays in aid of our local hospice
Her pupils and fellow teachers sponsored her for a given amount and she ended up with a heavy bag of mostly coins!

We enjoyed each others company for the 10 days
She was delighted with her achievement in walking for such a long time, having never walked a step in her life! .
The hospice was delighted with the £200 raised so it was a “win win” situation all around

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My Australian friend raised 50,000aus dollars in 2017 for a water filtration system in East Timor on his 1st camino on the Francis. His church friends sponsored him. I dont see why you couldnt do something similar as long as you remain transparent thru out the whole process goidlyck and enjoy your camino.

Always a tricky subject. I asked for sponsorship from friends and family when I walked the VDLP a few years ago - I spilt the money raised between an African charity for educating children and Help for Heroes - this was achieved by using the Just Giving website. I think this is quite acceptable provided money raised is not used to cover ones costs.

I only now notice that you want to walk the Camino Inglés for your fundraiser? All the way from Boston MA?
That is one week of walking and not much time for fundraising and your campaign hardly has time to gain traction. It is a beautiful walk, but would the short distance impress possible donors? Would they not wonder why you could not find a trail nearby?

Perhaps you better stay at home and donate your travel costs instead?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I only now notice that you want to walk the Camino Inglés for your fundraiser? All the way from Boston MA?
That is one week of walking and not much time for fundraising and your campaign hardly has time to gain traction. It is a beautiful walk, but would the short distance impress possible donors? Would they not wonder why you could not find a trail nearby?

Perhaps you better stay at home and donate your travel costs instead?
Thanks for the suggestion. I already donate to his research efforts. My friends would support this if I asked, they know how much my mom meant to me. It’s much less about the distance (from Boston and also the number of miles walked) and much more about helping the doc and his research. Ticket is purchased and plans have been made. I’m disheartened that you’d suggest I stay home and not walk the Camino.

I was once cornered in a camino dormitory by a young man who chose me as the first subject to be recruited to contribute to his charitable project. This made me very uncomfotable. I did not choose to donate and for the next few days I made a point of avoiding any places where I thought I might meet him again. I choose my own charities to which to donate whatever amount I am able. If Camino de Santiago routes were to be busy with persons who wished to collect donations for their chosen cause, I could not feel comfortable walking caminos. If your friends would donate, why not ask them?

I understand the heart movement in your question. Experience tells me that you can use a few platforms to raise money. In my part of the world, sites such as justgiving offer that option. You need to let your contacts know what you will be doing to raise funds, and your contacts can then go ahead and donate.
There will be other more recent possibilities, but if you use your preferred search engine you will find routes to garner results to benefit the charity of your choice. I will give a time to offer some quiet moments for you and your family in your time of loss.
ps: perhaps you might correct a typo: pilgrim. Buen
I was once cornered in a camino dormitory by a young man who chose me as the first subject to be recruited to contribute to his charitable project. This made me very uncomfotable. I did not choose to donate and for the next few days I made a point of avoiding any places where I thought I might meet him again. I choose my own charities to which to donate whatever amount I am able. If Camino de Santiago routes were to be busy with persons who wished to collect donations for their chosen cause, I could not feel comfortable walking caminos. If your friends would donate, why not ask them?
I’m very sorry to hear that happened to you. Sounds terribly uncomfortable.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi. 👋 It's definitely not gauche ☺️ and it's definitely your decision and not anyone else's so if you want to do it, do it! ☺️

I decided only a few weeks before setting off on the CF that I would fundraise, too. I set my goal at £778 (the same number as the km I was going to walk) and reached it. I used justgiving and put updates on it every few days with a photo. I then copied the link to it and put it on my FB page so that friends could easily donate 😉. That was the only social media I did during my Camino and it was great because as soon as I posted it I came out of FB so there was no 'doom scrolling' to interfere with the joy of the Way.😄

I wish you luck and joy on your Camino and if you decide to fundraise, good luck with that, too. It may also keep you going if you experience any low points or doubts. 🥰

Post no 13 describes very well the idea I had in my mind. Not at all bothering fellow peregrinos. That is too intrusive, and you were indeed cornered which was not fair. My work colleagues asked me why I was not fundraising when I walked the CF, but it was not part of my plan.
There are rules about posting here in the context of fundraising, and one recent pilgrim followed those while using other social media, and did very well fundraising for the charity of his choice.

Gauche. My opinion.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Maybe try a 50/50 draw, selling tickets for closest number to the actual kilometers you walk on your trip?... Have somebody at home run it for you, with winner getting half the monies raised and the other half to your charity of choice... Fun for everyone without having to beg for donations....

On my first Camino, in 2020, I was sponsored by friends and family to raise money for Medicine sans Frontières. I used the Just Giving platform and never asked other pilgrims. This was very successful and transparent, I updated on the site and my FB page practically every day. I agree that it puts pressure on to finish, but, even with an injured Achilles, it is a fantastic feeling of personal achievement when you arrive.

Having run several marathons and lots of long-distance walks including the CF twice I have never asked for sponsorship as I would feel really uncomfortable asking friends whether they wish to support the cause as I think that it would put them in an uncomfortable position if they didn't wish to contribute. When I am asked whether I wish to sponsor I always do even though I may not wish to for the same reason.

@Harland2019, I usually post a message on social media, with a link to Just Giving, only to friends and they choose whether they want to support Médecins sans Frontières (my chosen charity) or not. Close friends know what I'm doing and we respect each others choices so no one is offended or feels obliged. Many of my friends support other charities and we all know that our purses are not bottomless.

I raised money before I went, half went to a friend of mine and her kid who had a terminal illness, for medical supplies and travel costs. The other half went to Autism Ontario in honour of another friend of mine and her son who has autism. It was cool to have friends support other friends.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
No rooms in Bruma tonight. Anywhere. Is it cheating to take a cab 10k away to get a place to stay?
Hello all, I'll be walking the Camino Inlgés staring 21st May, along with my husband and my mother. My husband and I are relatively fit, in our mid-40's, and my 75-year-old mother is somewhat fit...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...
I did a search in this sub-forum but couldn't find anything recent. How much cash should I bring for the Ingles? All of my pre-booked accommodations except one accept credit card. That one place...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back