• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Re: Camino shop in Porto

irishmancamino

Time of past OR future Camino
Summer 2013
Hi all,

I'm walking from Porto to Santiago (and onto Muxia) starting June 18th.

I walked the whole Camino Frances last summer so I'm pretty relaxed this time around in terms of what I can expect.

Just wondering is there a shop in Porto where you can purchase some walking sticks? I left my sticks at Finisterre last summer so I don't intend to walk there first to get them back!

If anyone knows of any good place where these can be purchased, I'd be grateful.

Also, any recommendations on accommodation in Porto will be also taken gratefully!

I plan to walk the coastal route out of the city early on Weds 18th June. Anyone heading out at that time, you're welcome to join me!

Bom Caminho! :)

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When in porto for two nights just recently, i stayed at the TATTVA hostel. Minutes from the Sao Bento train station. And a minute or two to Catedrale Se ( my room on 4. Fl had view to the catedrale)
It is 17euros. Included breakfast!! Very decent....
What i liked was the helpful and kind staff, good kitchen AND mainly how well the rooms were designed.
Each bunk had curtains around bed, two sockets to charge electronics, own small fan, down comforter/pillow...and the shower, sink and toilet facilities are great. ( they are separated..i.e. If you only need to use the shower, others can still use sink or toilet)
Had a room with 8 beds, but only half occupied. They have male and female rooms and co-ed. You choice.
Address is Rua do cativo or something like that. Near Rua Cha.
I might stay there again , when returning to lisboa.
Hope this helps.
Claudia

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum

Hi all,

I threw my sticks into the sea at Finisterre last summer so I don't intend to swim out into the Atlantic in search of them!

Why would someone do this?? I keep wondering... if every pilgrim throw something into the sea it would be a big problem don´t you think??
Sorry but this really worries me.
Katia

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
When you go in june ,buy them in your own country. You have time enough

We put them in our bagpacks during the flight (Opsprey 50 liter backpack). No problems on the plane. We checked our luggage in

There is a Decathlon shop in Matosinhos 10 kms north of Porto
If you walk along the coast from Porto to Vila do Conde and than to Sao Pedro de Rates and so on you come in Matosinhos. Look at the internet where the shop is

If I were you I bought them now in your own environs. And do not throw them again in the ocean I should say.
Bom caminho

Thank you amorfati1 for that recommendation. I will definitely follow that up.

For the record, I didn't throw anything into the sea. What I meant to say was that I left my sticks AT the sea in Finisterre, like many pilgrims were doing. Some burned clothes etc., I left my sticks there.

For the record, I didn't throw anything into the sea. What I meant to say was that I left my sticks AT the sea in Finisterre, like many pilgrims were doing. Some burned clothes etc., I left my sticks there.

Nice!! It was just a misunderstanding!!
Bon camino!!

Katia

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks Albertinho for recommending that shop. I plan to take the coastal route from that area so I will check the shop out.

Bom Caminho

Nice!! It was just a misunderstanding!!
Bon camino!!

Katia
Principally it is the same.. After you arrived and had gone, another pilgrim in Fisterre,noticed the poles and thought. Hey walking poles these are still missing in my gear ! Go away or I take them away and so he did.. So now you have to buy new ones..

Yesterday I passed Matosinhos on the motorway A28 direction Porto and the south
The Decathlon is at an industrial estate right from you if you head from Porto to Vila do Conde .
The motorway A28 is in between the seaside and the industrial estate
At a certain moment you will pass a kind of oil refinary or chemical plant and about there but on the other side of the motorway is the shop. Quite a detour to buy poles

Google "Decathlon Matosinhos " and you'll get a Google Earth overview
If you keep in mind that the coastal caminho follows the oceanside directly by a wooden boardwalk along the beach you better buy your poles where you live instead of trying to get them at the other side of the motorway and back to the camino.
Succes

(Why we are there now.. We walked the camino ingles a few weeks ago and travel around in Portugal now with our car and caravan.)

Do not forget to stop and stay at casa Fernanda in Vitorino dos Piäes between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima. We were there last saturday. The best place to sleep of the caminho from Porto to Santiago.ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1401229867.701484.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1401229901.564804.jpg
If you are there give Fernanda and her husband Jacinto -lovely and caring people they are -the regards from Albertinho and Nel.
Bom caminho

Why would someone do this?? I keep wondering... if every pilgrim throw something into the sea it would be a big problem don´t you think??
Sorry but this really worries me.
Katia

I would say that if they are just wooden walking sticks, no big deal. They will decompose like anything else organic.
Plastic, metal, rubber, etc? No, don't need to have trash like that flung into the ocean.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Take everything you need with you. Do not expect to find anything of any real use along the entire Portuguese Camino unless you're in the market for a women's Nike sports handbag or a pair of football boots. Outdoor stores are nonexistant unlike on the Frances. Come already prepared!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I did the CF in 2022 and found the planning quite easy as there were albergues all the way so yiu can walk as much or as little as you please and there is always somewhere to stay. I...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...
Barcelos was having a huge May 1 celebration when we passed through. There was a major unveiling of a sculpture titled Peregrina the following day—very big event. We weren’t there, so I lifted a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back