• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reality check

celined

Sorry if this is a common and redundant topic, but here you go. I was lucky enough to be able to walk the Camino Frances from SJPP to Finisterre and Muxcia last month. I feel so grateful for the whole experience. I was expecting to feel some difficulty going back home. I know that I have to find a job and sort my life out but my only desire is to go back on the trail, not to escape reality and daily life but because this is what real life is about.Thanks to the Camino, I feel peaceful and strong and I hope this will never fade. I guess that as it was the first Camino for me, the others won't be as meaningful but I might be wrong? Buen Camino everyone!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Congratulations on reaching the sea ! I hope your job hunting and life sorting are all the better for your recent experience.. there are many that argue that they are all part of our individual Camino. As far as other Caminos and how meaningful they will be, I think they will build on your first, and bring you something new. Buen Camino

Hi celined,

It is nice to read of your feelings of being grateful, have peace, keeping strong. Thank you for sharing. Perhaps many of us feel the same in trying to sustain the mindset from the Camino after we return. Such an enormous challenge to not let fade.

Having different experiences pre/mid/post walks have had the most significant impact in my life. While each have been very different, they remain special because it is still a continuing experience. Three different journeys, however, when all strung together one life changing experience. It's time to add a 4th. I think my first was the most meaningful, but it didn't devalue the next two. On my first, it was extremely social. The second, more solitary and reflective. On the third, more of a provider and looked after others in many ways. Again, different experiences as I wanted to make sure not to "recreate" any other.

I hope you do get to return again. When you do, I bet you have a different approach which will surely reveal new experiences and opportunities.

For now, maybe finding some time to go for long walks (what most people think as long, we think as normal ;)) will help continue your heart strong as you re-enter life at home. This always works for me.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
"I guess that as it was the first Camino for me, the others won't be as meaningful but I might be wrong? Buen Camino everyone!"
Personally I seem to grow more "oneness" with each Camino. My friends say (and I agree) that in the two years I have been walking I have changed. I hope they mean for the better. They do say and I do feel much calmer and unstressed.

Everything will be okay Celine! I lost my job which was actually affording me a real savings account for my pilgrimage, got denied unemployment benefits, will likely lose my home of nine years, not to mention the agonizing distress of what will become of my two precious Cocker Spaniels and the unending well of anger that my boss didn't fire me in August when I could have hopped a plane! Now I have all the time in the world to go to Spain but no money. Before, I had all the money and no time! Such is the irony of my journey...One day I will return from Spain to face the trials you now do as countless others before us have! There is a path. Be still and watchful. It will open before you!

It is a special soul that recognizes the value of another way to live, seizes the opportunity to embrace it and a free spirit that refuses to release it! Embracing the new journey you face is just an extension of your pilgrimage! Don't let the world suck your soul from you...

There is a path. Be still and watchful. It will open before you!

It is a special soul that recognizes the value of another way to live, seizes the opportunity to embrace it and a free spirit that refuses to release it! Embracing the new journey you face is just an extension of your pilgrimage! Don't let the world suck your soul from you…

I feel a real empathy towards you lizlane in your present circumstances of no job no money. I also believe your words quoted above came from deep within your own Spirit.
Just take ownership of them and be encouraged, that is the Way, your way.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for the encouragement! I just believe that there is more to being a pilgrim than donning a backpack and hopping a plane! And that putting the pack in the closet and getting on with life doesn't mean the journey has ended...:)

Thanks all for your contributions! I feel on the Camino again, being surrounded by caring and kind people!:)
Lizlane I am so sorry to hear about your hardships and I hope that bit by bit things will change for the better. I am very lucky as I can stay at my parents', which helps tremendously.
' Before, I had all the money and no time!' Yes, I can understand that! I have been in a hamster's wheel for a while..work, work but time flies and it is important to live in the moment whenever possible.
There are no problems, only solutions...it is easy to say this I know but I believe it! Take care of yourself!

"I guess that as it was the first Camino for me, the others won't be as meaningful but I might be wrong? Buen Camino everyone!"
Personally I seem to grow more "oneness" with each Camino. My friends say (and I agree) that in the two years I have been walking I have changed. I hope they mean for the better. They do say and I do feel much calmer and unstressed.

Thanks Al for posting! It is interesting to hear that your friends have noticed a change. I believe you are right, this is only a beginning and each journey can help out finding serenity. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi celined,

It is nice to read of your feelings of being grateful, have peace, keeping strong. Thank you for sharing. Perhaps many of us feel the same in trying to sustain the mindset from the Camino after we return. Such an enormous challenge to not let fade.

Having different experiences pre/mid/post walks have had the most significant impact in my life. While each have been very different, they remain special because it is still a continuing experience. Three different journeys, however, when all strung together one life changing experience. It's time to add a 4th. I think my first was the most meaningful, but it didn't devalue the next two. On my first, it was extremely social. The second, more solitary and reflective. On the third, more of a provider and looked after others in many ways. Again, different experiences as I wanted to make sure not to "recreate" any other.

I hope you do get to return again. When you do, I bet you have a different approach which will surely reveal new experiences and opportunities.

For now, maybe finding some time to go for long walks (what most people think as long, we think as normal ;)) will help continue your heart strong as you re-enter life at home. This always works for me.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

Thanks Simeon for sharing your experience and your wise words! I have not been on long walks but I jog long distances which has got a similar positive effect on me. For sure I will go back on the trail! Take care, Celine

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
It's interesting how many people seem to feel the same way. I had injured my ankle and even so I felt so good heading out each cool morning walking and enjoying being in the countryside. The first weeks back at work was a bit of a let down and we missed it terribly. I wished we lived closer but being from Canada I can only afford to go every few years - also to get enough vacation time to go for 6 weeks. No question the Camino has become an integral part of my life - good luck with you job search and maybe one day we see you on the way :)

Thanks for your post Russell. I am lucky as I live in france now so it is easy and cheap to go to Spain. Thanks for your good wishes! Buen camino! Celine

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back