• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommendation for nice place to stay north of Porto

HeidiL

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés2004, Portugués,Madrid,Plata, hospi Grado
Hi!

My husband and I are starting in Porto in about 3 weeks, with our teenager joining us after 4 days. We will be celebrating our 25th anniversary while walking, and I would like a recommendations for a really nice place to stay for a night, 1 - 3 days' walk north of Porto.

I've been looking at Google Maps a lot (the regular pilgrim guides rarely include the really good and expensive places), but I haven't really found anything. Can anyone recommend a place? If there isn't anything, what about a nice place for a meal before we retire to our sleeping bags?

Other recommendations on how to celebrate on the Camino are also welcome. At least there will be cava and tapas...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, Heidi,
I know this isn't what you asked, but off the top of my head I think the best celebratory places are going to be in Porto itself. Two places come to mind -- the Pestana Porto, a series of river houses along the Douro turned into a nice hotel, and the Porto Pousada (government owned hotel in an old palace with the rooms in a modern structure next door). I've been in both but never stayed in either, and I think they meet your requirements. There are some more boutique-y options in Porto as well, but these are both very nice.

There are probably some slightly off road options in old historic buildings near the route. Try looking at the Solares de Portugal website to see if you can come up with something. I'll also put my thinking cap on and see if I can identify a good property. Congrats on your anniversary! Buen camino, Laurie

Thank you, Laurie!

We've already got a place to stay in Porto, and I think a proper hotel would be more appreciated after a couple of days of walking - I still remember when we got to Burgos that time, in the pouring rain, and got a hotel suite right next to the Cathedral (for € 100!) instead of continueing to the albergue...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Try this link: it's a listing of pretty much every official hotel/pousada north of Porto.

http://www.maisturismo.pt/?sec=asearch& ... &Type=9999

The towns are alphabetical in red. Then under each town is a listing of places in town, be they hotel, pension, etc, and a special listing for places in the "espaco rural" or rural areas near town. Some of these may also be pretty close to the camino.

And solares de Portugal also has a map that's interactive : http://www.solaresdeportugal.pt/EN/

Ponte de Lima is probably your best bet. It's a bigger town, very beautiful, and a few days out of Porto.

In town you have, for instance: http://www.inlimahotel.com/lang/pt/default.aspx

Out of town (via taxi), for instance: http://www.casadavarzea.eu/

Thank you very much!

It's fun to plan these things, a strange combination of anticipation (new stretch of the Camino!) and nostalgia (I remember when...).

You can always search in Booking.com for Hotels. Most of the Hotels in Portugal are registered in that website, so I think that you will not have any problem finding a good Hotel with the conditions that you need ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back