• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommendation in Roncesvalles

VAS

Victoria
Time of past OR future Camino
June 2018
Hi,
I begin my first Camino on June 28 2018, from SJDP... I plan on walking all the way to Roncesvalles that first day. I was considering letting fate land me where I may in terms of staying in an alberque. But recently have it on my heart that I may want a private bathroom on that first Camino night, as the day will be long and I may need to get acclimated to the experience. So, because it will be a busy time of year, I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation of where I could book a place ahead of time in Roncesvalles?
Many thanks. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The end of June will be quite busy, so you may want to book anyway just to be more secure. Opinion is divided. The albergue in Roncesvalles has cubicles that take 4 people; each bed has its own backpack locker, and is very comfortable, so its not a bad introduction to albergue life. And you can book it. Apart from that you are heading into hotel territory, I think.
http://www.hotelroncesvalles.com is the most upmarket with individual rooms at about €67
La Posada - a twin room seems about €75
Casa Sabina - couldn't find a price

I stayed in La Posada in 2016. It's an old building, with somewhat gloomy corridors but comfortable rooms, with bath/shower. Meals are eaten communally in a large room on the ground floor (you book and pay for dinner and/or breakfast when you check in) and there's no choice., but plenty of wine. It's a good place to meet other pilgrims, and it has a bar.

Alternatively, for a much nicer hotel, walk another 45 minutes to Burguete and stay in the Hotel rural Loizu or the Hostal Burguete (favoured by Hemingway) where you will also meet other pilgrims, but have a much better meal (and a head start on the crowd next morning.)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I stayed in La Posada in 2016. It's an old building, with somewhat gloomy corridors but comfortable rooms, with bath/shower. Meals are eaten communally in a large room on the ground floor (you book and pay for dinner and/or breakfast when you check in) and there's no choice., but plenty of wine. It's a good place to meet other pilgrims, and it has a bar.

Alternatively, for a much nicer hotel, walk another 45 minutes to Burguete and stay in the Hotel rural Loizu or the Hostal Burguete (favoured by Hemingway) where you will also meet other pilgrims, but have a much better meal (and a head start on the crowd next morning.)

Good reply! Very good!

After checking in at the A'burg, I slept out back of the A'burg in Roncesvalles.
There were two other tenters there. We used the shower and laundry in the A'burg.

The end of June will be quite busy, so you may want to book anyway just to be more secure. Opinion is divided. The albergue in Roncesvalles has cubicles that take 4 people; each bed has its own backpack locker, and is very comfortable, so its not a bad introduction to albergue life. And you can book it. Apart from that you are heading into hotel territory, I think.
http://www.hotelroncesvalles.com is the most upmarket with individual rooms at about €67
La Posada - a twin room seems about €75
Casa Sabina - couldn't find a price

Thank you... I decided on Hotel Roncesvalles and sent them an email requesting a reservation. Many thanks for everyone's advice and help. I'm traveling alone and its my first time traveling internationally... with that, I am so grateful to this forum, its members, and how quickly everyone replies to help future pilgrims! :)

Thank you... I decided on Hotel Roncesvalles and sent them an email requesting a reservation. Many thanks for everyone's advice and help. I'm traveling alone and its my first time traveling internationally... with that, I am so grateful to this forum, its members, and how quickly everyone replies to help future pilgrims! :)
I would like to stay there, as well. I could not find an email on the site. Thanks in Advance.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Evy70,

Update: ... I'm a member of a group on Facebook called APOC (Americans on the Camino). I searched their page for information about Hotel Roncesvalles... and many people seemed to have a problem with them returning their emails... and recommended going onto booking.com to make a reservation.
I was able to find them on booking.com... however, it states they are "sold out" for the date I was searching for.... Hope this helps you and you have better luck than I did! :)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

It seems all the hotels in Roncesvalles are booked solid... So, I looked at Hostal Burguete website, and they may have a room (according to their website calendar), so I've sent them a request... I hope my legs can walk that far!!!... Thank you for the recommendation.

The hotel is closed for vacation until mid March.

Thank you for the tip... I visited booking.com and it stated there was no availability at that hotel or others in Roncesvalles that were recommended... do you think its because they are closed now, or truly booked up for the date I need in June?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Booking.com will say "no availability on your dates"if the hotel is closed (as most provincial Spanish hotels are at this time of year) and they cannot contact it. The local Tourist Office can usually help with opening dates or even making a booking.

I'm a very private person. I have to say that staying in the main albergue in Roncesvalles was for me, a really good way to start my Camino. The night before in SJPDP we stayed in private accommodation and didn't really meet anyone. We flew from New Zealand, the flights and train journeys were long - they added more than 4 days to our trip.
Staying in the Roncesvalles monastery was great, they had low walled cubicles, so we got the appearance of privacy, but most of all we became part of the 'pilgrim set' there. And the building itself was quite impressive, and you can shower in private.
I didn't think I would enjoy the dormitory situation much before I left, but the Camino is something different, and in fact the social aspect of having other people around contributed to my sense of well-being. I think the fact that you are all on the same walk makes a difference, its not like random strangers. All of these people have made plans and have doubts, hopes and fears about their Camino. People who have done more than one are sought after as key sources of information.
These other people talking about their hopes, plans, aches, pains etc gave me the sense of being part of something and not alone. And you will see some of these people time and time again. We met some of our Camino family there. Not something we planned on at all. The idea of meeting and befriending people never crossed my mind, despite watching The Way at least 11 times. We were just focused on the travel plans, our health, and what to pack.
The Roncesvalles dinner is still firmly in my memory. Most of the people we met were somewhat elated at having crossed the Pyrenees successfully.
So if you cant get a hotel room, don't despair - you may be like me, and make lasting friendships as a result of staying there.
I've read that most of the Camino friendships are made early in the Camino, I certainly found it that way.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm a very private person. I have to say that staying in the main albergue in Roncesvalles was for me, a really good way to start my Camino. The night before in SJPDP we stayed in private accommodation and didn't really meet anyone. We flew from New Zealand, the flights and train journeys were long - they added more than 4 days to our trip.
Staying in the Roncesvalles monastery was great, they had low walled cubicles, so we got the appearance of privacy, but most of all we became part of the 'pilgrim set' there. And the building itself was quite impressive, and you can shower in private.
I didn't think I would enjoy the dormitory situation much before I left, but the Camino is something different, and in fact the social aspect of having other people around contributed to my sense of well-being. I think the fact that you are all on the same walk makes a difference, its not like random strangers. All of these people have made plans and have doubts, hopes and fears about their Camino. People who have done more than one are sought after as key sources of information.
These other people talking about their hopes, plans, aches, pains etc gave me the sense of being part of something and not alone. And you will see some of these people time and time again. We met some of our Camino family there. Not something we planned on at all. The idea of meeting and befriending people never crossed my mind, despite watching The Way at least 11 times. We were just focused on the travel plans, our health, and what to pack.
The Roncesvalles dinner is still firmly in my memory. Most of the people we met were somewhat elated at having crossed the Pyrenees successfully.
So if you cant get a hotel room, don't despair - you may be like me, and make lasting friendships as a result of staying there.
I've read that most of the Camino friendships are made early in the Camino, I certainly found it that way.
Completely agree. Getting to Roncesvalles from St. Jean is a big day anyway, and trying to go on to Burguete is possibly a step too far.

And Burguete is such a lovely breakfast spot to come upon the next morning.

Yes indeed in nearby Burguete there is only one church, next to it is a small plaza and at the back of the plaza is a GREAT cafe/bar which is open early every morning and very pilgrim friendly. Within their complex is the local fronton court. I have always stopped here on my way down from Roncesvalles. If is still dark as you leave Roncesvalles be sure to wear or carry and use your head torch.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you for sharing, I appreciate it... it truly eases my mind going forward.

I begin my first Camino on June 28 2018, from SJDP... I plan on walking all the way to Roncesvalles

I suggest you arrive a day early in StJPP or on your arrival walk the short way to Orisson , its not long.
Get a taxi back ,
Next day return by taxi to Orisson and commence your walk to Burguette if thats where you gave decided to stay and send your bag ahead.
Otherwise you are doing 33 km and will more than likely need a rest day when you hit Pamplona.
There are a few tricky paths in the first 3 days .
We always stay in Burguette but stay the previous evening in Valcarlos.
Don't bite off too much the first day.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.