• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommendation of Camino operator please

Alex M

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan for 2017 - Sarria to Santiago
Hi I am from St Albans in England. I did the last bit of the CF about 18 months ago. It was a bit lonely and I would like to do soon another one week "slice" quite soon, either of CF or CP, preferably at or near the beginning of a route, but with a group as that would give me some company. I spent a lot of time in SdC last time so don't need to end up there. Can anyone recommend an operator through whom I could organise this? I speak Spanish and have lived in Spain so am not totally helpless and should be able to handle the travel to and from the route (!). Thank you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello Alex, lonely?...on the Frances?...Sarria to Santiago? I guess I can imagine that in February. You said 18 months ago so I assume you traveled in October which is still pretty busy, especially the last 100km.

Did you stay in Albergues and participate in their group dinners? If not try to plan your accommodations around this type of albergue. If you tend to be on the quiet side or less social, a private room and private table at dinner will not help you to meet people. Was your walking pace such that you were passed or you were passing people most of the day? If yes try changing you pace so you are traveling with the herd and seeing some familiar faces daily. Did you greet each person with a smile and Buen Camino that you came across while walking? That in itself is the start of a conversation and camaraderie if you pursue it.

I think it's possible to still be lonely in a tour group if you keep to yourself but at least you would have the familiarity of the group for accommodations and possibly meals. I wish you the best on your next camino. I've never used a tour company but there are 100's of them if you try googling and I'm sure others here will respond with specific recommendations.

I've never lacked for company on any Camino.

I agree. In fact, at times I have the reverse of finding company on Camino. . . . I like periods for alone time, and that can be a bit of a conflict when I have found myself drawn into the company of fellow pilgrims and want to break away. :)

It does help to stay in Albergues, especially those that offer a dinner (the dinner may not be the best but the company is good),
I did notice that from Sarria onwards we encountered a lot of people in organised groups, tours, church groups, schools etc.
That may be been an issue for you in the last 100kms as they were already formed groups.
Thats not an issue before Sarria.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I can see why someone might get lonely from Sarria. A lot of people starting from there are in groups already, and long distance pilgrims largely know each other or are in 'camino families' that can be/feel to be closed off to outsiders.

Alex, if you start from St. Jean Pied de Port you will be with a LOT of others starting out the same day. You won't get lonely from there.

If you really want a tour group, there are many, though I can't recommend one offhand as I have never used one. Try the search function on here, you may find a few good recommendations.

Anyway, I really hope next time you won't get so lonely,
whatever you choose
Buen Camino!

Davey

Start walking from wherever you can easily get to. Talk to anyone walking in the same directions. Even If you encounter a grumpy misanthrope like me you will still get an opportunity for engagement.
I would personally be wary of tour groups. You may find yourself locked into a bunch of loving couples and long time friends that will be really hard to break into.
I usually walk alone unless The Beloved joins me. There is a world of difference between alone and lonely.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
To answer your actual question
Unfortunately/ fortunately most members of this forum tend towards a self quided Camino.
So there are less people able to answer the question of a referral to a Camino Tour Company

Perhaps those who have done so will pipe up for you or your can Google reviews on those companies available

I’m a bit introverted but the people I have seen who are surrounded by company at restaurants, albergues, and on the trail,initiate the conversations themselves. They are smiling outgoing and asking questions of everyone around them. Ie THEY start the conversations. They take any opportunity to join (join whatever, a drink, a trek up a neighboring hill, the market, grocery shopping for a meal cooked at the albergue) I certainly enjoyed being in their presence
So our members are merely saying try again

You know the well worn saying that the Camino gives you what you need not what you want. Well truer words have never been spoken. Maybe the first time the Camino was telling you that what you need IS to be alone and have a period of self reflection or even more importantly a period of no reflection where you can drain the burdens of your brain out of your mind and let some good stuff in. Remember what I read one day many years ago on the wall of the Cowboy Bar on the Camino:
TOGETHER WE WALK ALONE

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I speak Spanish and have lived in Spain
One reason that people are steering you away from tour companies is that you appear well equipped to organise the logistics of your Camino without the help of a company. Another reason is because going on an organised tour doesn’t guarantee that youll find a great group of people - although I guess that organisers of group tours make some efforts to foster a good atmosphere among participants.

I don’t know if the loneliness that you’re talking about is the feeling of isolation when surrounded by self-obsessed couples and cliques that don’t make any efforts to make newcomers feel welcome? If so, just “having another go“ on a different Camino might be enough. If you don’t feel like leaving things to chance, perhaps the best idea would be to network with other walkers - go out with a local walking club in Saint Albans, find out if there are church groups in your area that walk, attend a meeting of the Confraternity of Saint James in London ... in these ways you might find a walking partner or a handful of people who want to do the Camino with you. Since you have language skills, you may find that you’re well placed to help others who are interested but unsure about doing a Camino.

Another thought that I have is that there are some associations and albergues which just have a tremendous community spirit. Some of them organise group walks (sometimes a day or sometimes several) on the Camino. Maybe search for the associacion jacobea in the place where you lived and see whether they have an active community.

@Alex M , my standard invitation stands. There are several excellent pubs in my little hometown here on the sultry south coast where Camino can be discussed in depth. And the pilgrim‘s bed is always aired
Thank you! I thought you were referring to Andalucia until I checked out your address.

To answer your actual question
Unfortunately/ fortunately most members of this forum tend towards a self quided Camino.
So there are less people able to answer the question of a referral to a Camino Tour Company

Perhaps those who have done so will pipe up for you or your can Google reviews on those companies available

I’m a bit introverted but the people I have seen who are surrounded by company at restaurants, albergues, and on the trail,initiate the conversations themselves. They are smiling outgoing and asking questions of everyone around them. Ie THEY start the conversations. They take any opportunity to join (join whatever, a drink, a trek up a neighboring hill, the market, grocery shopping for a meal cooked at the albergue) I certainly enjoyed being in their presence
So our members are merely saying try again
Thanks for the feedback. I didn't stay at algergues, but I did have one hilarious encounter, on my first night:
After arriving in Sarria in the evening, I sat self-consciously in a restaurant situated right on the route and got into a conversation with two others. After a few shared comments, a spark was lit, and they moved to my table. He was a Canadian called Monty and she an Estonian with an unusual name beginning with M. I could not recall it, despite my having her repeat it several times. After that, I gave up due to embarrassment. She had been happy in her solitude at the beginning, but had found she enjoyed Monty’s company and so hooked up with him some miles back. “A fine figure of a woman”, as my dear Irish mother would have described her. She was perhaps in her 30s, reddish-blond, very extrovert, and with enormous hands. You saw such wholesome wenches in Soviet propaganda posters, tough, determined and wearing headscarves – the kind you would want leading your platoon if you came under fire.
They were very encouraging, and M asked whether I was seriously intending to carry my own backpack. This was mildly insulting. When I said that I was, she expressed admiration: despite encroaching decrepitude, I was prepared to assume this heavy burden – nothing short of heroic. But if it was too much, she assured me, she would be happy to carry it for me. Thanks a lot! Anxious to assert my manliness, I rejected the offer. A meandering chat ensued, warmly oiled with red wine. It included linguistic comparisons and their sage reflections on the journey, which both had completed several times. Strangely, this singular and delightful encounter was the only time I shared a table with anyone over the whole trip.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Start in St Jean Pied de Port. Your experience will be much different from starting in Sarria, where lots of tour groups start, and other pilgrims that started earlier have already formed into groups. If you stay in Beilari in St Jean, then Orisson you will have at least two communal dinners with opportunities to meet other pilgrims, many of whom will be walking solo.

Start in St Jean Pied de Port. Your experience will be much different from starting in Sarria, where lots of tour groups start, and other pilgrims that started earlier have already formed into groups. If you stay in Beilari in St Jean, then Orisson you will have at least two communal dinners with opportunities to meet other pilgrims, many of whom will be walking solo.
Thank you, I shall look into that. Un saludo!

Alex, your 1st night experience with the Canadian and Estonian proves you are fun and interesting to spend time with so you have great social skills. Don't deprive the pilgrims around you of all the gifts you have to offer. I get the impression you are just a bit reserved approaching or inserting yourself into a social situation. It's true there is always the risk if you ask to join a table or conversation they will not be welcoming. However I would bet/wager a lot of money that the odds were closer to 1 in 100 than 1 in 10 that you would be rebuffed. The Peregrinos are a self selecting group that tend to be open, gracious and inclusive. Take that risk on your next camino...a few successes will breed many more as you find out people end up being really happy that you joined them.

As Trecile and others have said, starting in SJPDP will be even better for you. Anyone walking alone is actively looking or is Very open for connection here. Staying at Orisson (8km past SJPDP) is probably the BEST thing you can do for making at least a few good friends in one evening at the start of your walk. You will have a very positive shared experience with 35 other people most of whom you will continue to see during your week of walking. On the days following Orisson make a point of initiating conversation with these familiar faces. Start off with a comment or remembrance of the evening at Orisson. You are part of an exclusive club of 35 members who are your immediate friends even if you did not talk with them at dinner and even if they don't recognize you as a participant at that dinner.

Unfortunately there is a big downside to following this advice (start in SJPDP, stay at Orisson). I personally witnessed it among 5 or 6 members of my Orisson family who only had 2 weeks to walk. They did not want to go home. Some tried hard to make arrangements with family or employers back home to extend their Camino but were unable to do so and were very disappointed. Obviously this means they were very happy during their time on the Camino. If one is going to be disappointed on the Camino, this is the best scenario. So be prepared for this new type of disappointment if you dare to start in SJPDP followed by Orisson.

Note: Orisson gets booked out (full) pretty far in advance. Its rare but they do get cancellations however I wouldn't count on that as a strategy for just showing up to see if you get lucky. For those who have not stayed at Orisson this will sound strange but if you have flexibility on when you travel I'd find a reservation at Orisson first and then make my air transportation around that date, spending the first night in SJPDP.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
One reason that people are steering you away from tour companies is that you appear well equipped to organise the logistics of your Camino without the help of a company. Another reason is because going on an organised tour doesn’t guarantee that youll find a great group of people - although I guess that organisers of group tours make some efforts to foster a good atmosphere among participants.

I don’t know if the loneliness that you’re talking about is the feeling of isolation when surrounded by self-obsessed couples and cliques that don’t make any efforts to make newcomers feel welcome? If so, just “having another go“ on a different Camino might be enough. If you don’t feel like leaving things to chance, perhaps the best idea would be to network with other walkers - go out with a local walking club in Saint Albans, find out if there are church groups in your area that walk, attend a meeting of the Confraternity of Saint James in London ... in these ways you might find a walking partner or a handful of people who want to do the Camino with you. Since you have language skills, you may find that you’re well placed to help others who are interested but unsure about doing a Camino.

Another thought that I have is that there are some associations and albergues which just have a tremendous community spirit. Some of them organise group walks (sometimes a day or sometimes several) on the Camino. Maybe search for the associacion jacobea in the place where you lived and see whether they have an active community.
Thank you for your kind and helpful comments

Alex, your 1st night experience with the Canadian and Estonian proves you are fun and interesting to spend time with so you have great social skills. Don't deprive the pilgrims around you of all the gifts you have to offer. I get the impression you are just a bit reserved approaching or inserting yourself into a social situation. It's true there is always the risk if you ask to join a table or conversation they will not be welcoming. However I would bet/wager a lot of money that the odds were closer to 1 in 100 than 1 in 10 that you would be rebuffed. The Peregrinos are a self selecting group that tend to be open, gracious and inclusive. Take that risk on your next camino...a few successes will breed many more as you find out people end up being really happy that you joined them.

As Trecile and others have said, starting in SJPDP will be even better for you. Anyone walking alone is actively looking or is Very open for connection here. Staying at Orisson (8km past SJPDP) is probably the BEST thing you can do for making at least a few good friends in one evening at the start of your walk. You will have a very positive shared experience with 35 other people most of whom you will continue to see during your week of walking. On the days following Orisson make a point of initiating conversation with these familiar faces. Start off with a comment or remembrance of the evening at Orisson. You are part of an exclusive club of 35 members who are your immediate friends even if you did not talk with them at dinner and even if they don't recognize you as a participant at that dinner.

Unfortunately there is a big downside to following this advice (start in SJPDP, stay at Orisson). I personally witnessed it among 5 or 6 members of my Orisson family who only had 2 weeks to walk. They did not want to go home. Some tried hard to make arrangements with family or employers back home to extend their Camino but were unable to do so and were very disappointed. Obviously this means they were very happy during their time on the Camino. If one is going to be disappointed on the Camino, this is the best scenario. So be prepared for this new type of disappointment if you dare to start in SJPDP followed by Orisson.

Note: Orisson gets booked out (full) pretty far in advance. Its rare but they do get cancellations however I wouldn't count on that as a strategy for just showing up to see if you get lucky. For those who have not stayed at Orisson this will sound strange but if you have flexibility on when you travel I'd find a reservation at Orisson first and then make my air transportation around that date, spending the first night in SJPDP.
Thank you for your kind and helpful comments. I would need to do the walk in slices shorter than two weeks anyway. I'm not at all anti-social (though also happy in my own company), but I'm too old for hostels and anyway would not want to inflict my revolting personal idiosyncrasies (VBS, V=Volcanic) etc. (and worse) on others. In addition, I've never been a very fast walker and don't want to turn it into a sprint, as so many seem to. I think I'll seek out a good guide and try to paddle my own canoe from a point early in the walk as you suggest. Is Brierley as good as they say IYO? Thanks again for your feedback. Regards Alex

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't stay at algergues,... Strangely, this singular and delightful encounter was the only time I shared a table with anyone over the whole trip.

To be honest I'm not surprised at this result seeing as you didn't stay in albergues and started from Sarria.

Now, if you start from Saint Jean, Roncesvalles or Pamplona and use albergues I guarantee you will have people to chat with every night. If slumming it in giant dorms worries you, then pick private albergues with small dorms or optional private rooms. There are plenty of those too. You can have your own private bed then but still mix with other pilgrims.

Here, I'll help plan it for you ...

Pamplona: Xarma hostel, private room 31 euros
Puente La Reina: Albergue Jakue, private room 36 euros
Estella: Albergue La Hostería de Curtidores, private room 45 euros
Los Arcos: Albergue Casa de la Abuela, private room 35 euros

and so on...
Use gronze.com. I've been to all four of those hostels and they're all lovely!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for your thoughts. I think that I would need to do much more accommodation planning than I did when I did just the final leg from Sarria. Is the famous Brierley the best one specifically on accommodation or is there another source which you might recommend? Merci d'avance, Alex

. Is the famous Brierley the best one specifically on accommodation or is there another source which you might recommend?
I would recommend Gronze.com. It has all the albergues and other Camino accommodations listed. The website is in Spanish, but if you use Google Chrome browser it will translate to English, or the language of your choice.

https://www.gronze.com/

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for your thoughts. I think that I would need to do much more accommodation planning than I did when I did just the final leg from Sarria. Is the famous Brierley the best one specifically on accommodation or is there another source which you might recommend? Merci d'avance, Alex
Yes, bring a smart phone and consult gronze.com every day. You can easily see which ones offer private rooms as well as dorms. They look like this in the listings: 55798 ... that's 15 euro dorm, 40 euro room. Many will offer discounts if you're just a single person in a double room.

Go for the albergues with private rooms, not the pensions or hotels. That way you'll meet people in the communal areas.

You won't necessarily need to plan more ahead than your last camino. The earlier stages are less busier than from Sarria.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back